Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 10th Jan 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1,456Posts
    • 4,845Thanks
    Oakdene
    Petrol Station - should have been paying attention
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:57 AM
    Petrol Station - should have been paying attention 10th Jan 18 at 8:57 AM
    So needed to fill the car up last night & I was close to a local independent petrol station so thought I'd check the price & go in there. On their big price display board on the side of the road they had:

Petrol: 121.9 ppl
    Diesel: 122.9 ppl.

So pulled up & started filling up, put £40.00 in & suddenly realsied that it was bloody premium diesel costs a staggering 139.9ppl!!!

I know I should have been paying attention but I really struggle to see how petrol stations can sell the expensive diesel & petrol without advertising it on thier big price boards!!
    Hiraeth
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    • 8,866 Posts
    • 13,576 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    Lesson learnt! Always look at the name of the fuel on the nozzle when you pick it up and also the price displayed for the fuel chosen on the pump. At least you wanted Diesel and got Diesel, would have been tears if you'd chosen petrol in error. A bit of premium fuel once in a while could be good for your engine.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 10th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 4,845 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    Lesson learnt! Always look at the name of the fuel on the nozzle when you pick it up and also the price displayed for the fuel chosen on the pump. At least you wanted Diesel and got Diesel, would have been tears if you'd chosen petrol in error. A bit of premium fuel once in a while could be good for your engine.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    To be honest it was a plain black nozzle so I really didn't think any different... oh well first world problems
    Hiraeth
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 7,357 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    So needed to fill the car up last night & I was close to a local independent petrol station so thought I'd check the price & go in there. On their big price display board on the side of the road they had:

Petrol: 121.9 ppl
    Diesel: 122.9 ppl.

So pulled up & started filling up, put £40.00 in & suddenly realsied that it was bloody premium diesel costs a staggering 139.9ppl!!!

I know I should have been paying attention but I really struggle to see how petrol stations can sell the expensive diesel & petrol without advertising it on thier big price boards!!
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    And it would've made absolutely no difference to your situation as you admit to picking up the wrong filling nozzle.

As others have said, it could've been a whole lot worse.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jan 18, 10:48 AM
    • 19,148 Posts
    • 14,823 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:48 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:48 AM
    Seems expensive even for bog standard diesel, it's 115.9 at my local Sainsburys, and has been slightly cheaper than petrol on some days recently.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 7,357 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    Seems expensive even for bog standard diesel, it's 115.9 at my local Sainsburys, and has been slightly cheaper than petrol on some days recently.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Not really, around 120.9 or more in the majority of places I've visited recently. Petrolprices.com show the UK average as 124.9 for diesel at the moment.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 10th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 3,833 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    My last fill (last week) at the local Sainsburys was 118.9 (diesel) ... most other stations in the area were at least 120.9 up to 124.9
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    127.9 here
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 19,148 Posts
    • 14,823 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    Clearly you should all move to Birmingham .
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 10th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 7,268 Posts
    • 5,670 Thanks
    daveyjp
    The disparity between premium and normal fuel has really increased.

I had no issue buying it occasionally before a long trip when it was 6-8p a litre extra, now it is double that figure I don’t go near it.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 10th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 7,507 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Clearly you should all move to Birmingham .
    I'd rather pay more for my fuel
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 61,300 Posts
    • 358,887 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I try to always talk to myself. I stand there with the nozzle in my hand and I check the display and I say "is this diesel?" and check, then I visually follow the nozzle back to the machine to double check it came from the correct slot.

Only then do I feel half confident I know what I'm doing.

It saves me mistakes like that.... I don't care that I'm holding other people up by 20 seconds while I do that as I know the queue to pay's going to be long anyway.

There's an increasing amount of things in modern life that you have to speak to yourself like this with .... I also do it in supermarkets when checking that the product I am picking up is the correct one as per the label/price ... and if I'm unsure I'll put it back.

They're all out to get you you know.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 19,148 Posts
    • 14,823 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I try to always talk to myself. I stand there with the nozzle in my hand and I check the display and I say "is this diesel?" and check, then I visually follow the nozzle back to the machine to double check it came from the correct slot.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I have to say I do something similar. It would be much simpler if they had separate pumps for dispensing each type of fuel, but I guess the cost of installing that would be too high.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 61,300 Posts
    • 358,887 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I have to say I do something similar. It would be much simpler if they had separate pumps for dispensing each type of fuel, but I guess the cost of installing that would be too high.
    We'd all, too, have to always pull up at the right pump, so that wouldn't work for us as drivers either unless forecourts were empty and we could drive round all the pumps to see/check

I just always assume that the last person passing "might" have been somebody daft who thought "it funny" to just switch two nozzles over as they got back into their mate's car.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

243Posts Today

1,440Users online

Martin's Twitter