Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kitla
    • By kitla 10th Jan 18, 8:27 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 8Thanks
    kitla
    Should I do a tax return if not asked for one
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:27 AM
    Should I do a tax return if not asked for one 10th Jan 18 at 8:27 AM
    I did my first tax return 4 years ago when I inherited some money. Since then I've been sent the forms every year, but the last 2 it's ended up with hmrc having to pay me back overpaid tax on savings etc. This time I've not been sent a request, do I presume its an oversight on their part & do one anyway? Or do we only need to do one if asked.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 19,135 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    You only have to complete a return if you are asked to. I would log on to check your tax account to make sure that the letter hasn't got lost. You mention completing forms so you may not have been doing SA online, and may not have a logon, in which case you could ring them to confirm that you don't need to do it.
    • kitla
    • By kitla 10th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    kitla
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    I did choose to do it online, but always had a paper request followed by email. I've had nothing this year.
    I wondered if its something to do with them always having to reimburse me, I've been cut from the list? Oh well, perhaps I suppose I can do one anyway & get a bit more paid back to me.!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,574Posts Today

10,485Users online

Martin's Twitter