Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • an1179
    • By an1179 10th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,688Posts
    • 16,876Thanks
    an1179
    Self employed tax return and cash capital introduced
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    Self employed tax return and cash capital introduced 10th Jan 18 at 8:26 AM
    Hi

A self employed small business I had to put some of my own cash into the business as it is making a loss. I have put it into capital introduced on my ledger. I know this is not a tax income/expeniture item

I am showing a loss in profits which I know I put on my tax return.

My questions

if I keep introducing cash capital will it will come off the capital gains tax when the business is sold? I know that I can withdraw this cash if it becomes available

Do I need to include it on my online tax return and if so where please?

Thank you
Page 1
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 10th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 9,608 Posts
    • 17,666 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    if I keep introducing cash capital will it will come off the capital gains tax when the business is sold? I know that I can withdraw this cash if it becomes available
    Originally posted by an1179
    No, capital gains tax will always be on the sale proceeds, less purchase price, less incidental costs.

What you're doing is subsidising the trading losses. That's trading, not capital. You get tax relief for the trading losses against future profits or against other taxable income. As you rightly say, you can withdraw your introductions, tax free, at some future time, once the business is profitable again.

Capital and trading are completely different things.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin