Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Jan 18, 6:05 AM
    • 1,240Posts
    • 11,482Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Wednesday 10th January 2018
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:05 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 10th January 2018 10th Jan 18 at 6:05 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 8th January 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Jan 18, 6:07 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 11,482 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:07 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:07 AM
    Morning everyone

Just a quick check in this morning because I’m using my very old emergency laptop, and it isn’t up to much, it’s really slow, I think the hard drive is a bit full. Yesterday morning Windows updated on my PC and when it went to restart itself it got stuck and won’t start at all. I had someone out to look at it and he has taken it away to repair. Really annoying because it’s money that I can’t really afford because of Windows.

I did manage to go out to the supermarket. I was only out for an hour but was exhausted when I got home. At one point I thought I was going to pass out so walked home through the park so that I could sit on the benches. Those of you that have been unwell and said that I shouldn’t overdo it were right! I shall be staying in today.

Hugs to all of you that are unwell, and have problems/difficulties and those who feel sad/down at the moment. I hope that everyone feels better soon.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Jan 18, 6:32 AM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 40,090 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:32 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:32 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, dry but chilly here.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work ad DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was pizza an chips for the boys, DH and I picked up a naughty take away en route home from the hospital, and we split it 4 ways so boys could have a small bowl full too - all eaten and enjoyed. Mum much more alert and awake last night, but had been asleep and missed dinner, so they asked if we could help her with hers, which I said yes, when it arrived there'd been a mix up and she hadn't got what she'd ordered and the Nurses tried to replace it, and they had no hot meals left at all, so she finished up with a egg sandwich and a yogurt - she ate three quarters of the sandwich and was about to start the yogurt as we left, so feeling a bit more positive, although we know it's going to be a long road. My sis and I had a discussion last night as we've both been going every day - we're now going to start having some days where we don't go, so tonight I'm not going, she is, then I'm going tomorro and Friday in the day (as it's my days' off and just easier to go in the day), she can't go on Friday, I'm thinking my bro will come over at the weekend, I'll wait to see what's happening. I'm hoping we will settle into a routine so then it makes food planning and everything else somewhat easier, as I feel we're not eating how I know we should be eating.

Dinner tonight will be a frozen chicken joint, with LO cauli/cheese, LO yorkshires, mash, veg and gravy.

Yesterday work was very busy and this is how it will be for a while as we're at our busy time of year, but it makes the day pass quicker.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 10-01-2018 at 6:37 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 10th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    • 3,643 Posts
    • 42,716 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    Morning All

Milder here, no frost so no need to scrape the car. Lunch made and holiday clothes taken upstairs, the last lot are drying so should be able to put them away tonight.

Hope you've recovered from your trip out Holly.
    Are you ok tru?

I'm still waking up at 5am but had a much better sleep last night, going to go for a walk after work for some much needed fresh air.

Have a good day, take care. XX
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 10th Jan 18, 6:48 AM
    • 3,759 Posts
    • 23,679 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:48 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:48 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY for starting us off. I had a rubbish night's sleep, despite feeling so tired all of yesterday. It didn't help that there was a knock at the door about 7.45 - the police warning us there had been a break in at a house round the corner. Wanting to know if we had seen anything suspicious and warning us to be vigilant. Then I wonder why I didn't sleep! I was hearing noises all night!

Today I must make an attempt at cleaning the kitchen. So many jobs have been neglected but that must take priority now I am slowly on the mend.

We have the 3 DGDs for sleepover tonight and tomorrow's school run but they are not getting dropped off until later so not to feed! They are watching a show of some sort at their other GP's club and having supper there.

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, carers, convalescents, sad or worried. Take care all xxx ps has that clock found a home yet JUDI?!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Jan 18, 7:03 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 15,277 Thanks
    karcher
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:03 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:03 AM
    Morning

All my get up and go has got up on gone so far this year. All I want to do is hibernate in bed and sleep as and when I can. I just feel so lethargic and that in itself is getting me down.

Work soon and I am dreading it.

((hugs)) to all the poorlies and those in need, I hope you all have a good day x
    • redruby
    • By redruby 10th Jan 18, 7:07 AM
    • 6,548 Posts
    • 90,820 Thanks
    redruby
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:07 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:07 AM
    Morning all

Seems very cold here this morning I have just turned the heating up a notch to warm the house through.

Off to work again today and ive got some chicken out of the freezer for dinner tonight and some curry sauce left over from a takeaway one night, so I shall make a curry and rice for dinner.

I have a towel load on the go in the wm so will have to use the td tonight to get them dry.

My car is being picked up today to have the scratches fixed from when it was damaged in the car wash, its costing me over £200 and I am still fighting the car wash company re paying for the damage, but I needed to have it done quickly before any rust got in.

Right I had better get on have good days all xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jan 18, 7:08 AM
    • 6,025 Posts
    • 36,533 Thanks
    Gers
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:08 AM
    Morning everyone.

HollyHarvey - have a read of this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42619812 It’ll probably explain your laptop problem.

This morning I have my grotty group first thing, then sitting in to help another tutor for an hour. Nothing too taxing.

Last night I sorted out a couple of spreadsheets which me made happy!

Right, into the shower I go. I hope that everyone is beginning to feel better.

Happy Wednesday to all.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Jan 18, 7:08 AM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 15,556 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Morning all, hope you can take it easy today Hollyharvey and TA. Nmlc, that sound a positive plan, nice to know that your mum is doing well.

I shall be at work this morning and working from home in the afternoon. I have some large reports to finish and I work faster at home.

Slept much better last night but have woken with tinnitus. I think that is likely to lessen as the day goes on, it is not too bad.

I must get organised, I shall organise myself some toast and then organise myself into the shower.

Hope that everyone has a reasonable day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jan 18, 7:12 AM
    • 4,190 Posts
    • 35,810 Thanks
    Floss
    Karcher have you considered a chat with your GP?

Redruby why not contact Trading Standards for advice & help re the claim?
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 10th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 28,881 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all,

Glad to hear that your mum was more alert yesterday nmlc

Hollyharvey maybe not such a long trip next time you feel up to an outing?

I'm out with friends this morning. We have breakfast and coffee together and discuss all sorts. It straightens us out for the coming week. The HT who woke up at 6am most days over the school holidays has had to be woken at 7am the last two mornings. I'm still not up to speed completely and I started with that flu/virus thing two and a half weeks ago so if anyone else has it take it easy. The best advice is to drink plenty. Water, juice, tea....just keep the fluids going in. It really does make a difference.

Take care all of you
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 14,110 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Thanks for the suggestions yesterday regarding my old car. The car is to go back to the finance company which is in Surrey...and I'm in Glasgow, so I wouldn't be able to drop it off there for them. As per the contract, it has to be in a condition which you can drive away in, so it needs road tax/MOT etc. The timing is a pain but it's unavoidable I think.

Last night after work was productive. I got a washing done, ironing, cleaned all my surfaces and mirrors, all it needed was a hoover but I didn't want to annoy my neighbours with the sound. Had LO meat for dinner too.

Tonight I will have football and that's about it. It was called off on Monday due to frost but I don't see that being an issue this time. It'll be the first I've played in a good few weeks, so good to get back into it.

HH - Just take it easy and don't rush back to quickly. An extra few days won't hurt.
    TA - Oh dear, be sure to have the place on lock down in the evening.
    karcher - Hope you're feeling a bit better soon. I think it's one of those winters for many of us, so you're not alone.
    Redruby - Was is one of those big automated machine car washes? Or a hand wash place?
    Gers - Glad I'm not the only one who loves a good spreadsheet.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 10th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 20,358 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,
    Glad your mum is picking up nmlc
    Oh dear Holly -be careful not to do too much too soon.

Its very damp and misty,not ventured out with the dog yet-she's not budged not even for her brekkie.
    I went in town yesterday just for a wander but was out ages,DH rang to ask if I was still there.When I said I was just killing time till the next bus he came to pick me up instead (only 1 an hour & I mistimed it) I got some half price CCards from a CS,and a birthday present for my friend at the end of the month.I dropped a load of books off at the hospice shop,and some carrier bags,they're always short.
    DH & DS still at home this week,waiting for planning permission to start an extension,hopefully they'll get it for next Monday and be out of my hair
    Nothing planned for today other than picking DGS up from nursery school & DGD will be here for tea too.I made some chunky beef soup from the remainder of Sundays joint so we'll have that for our lunch today,& sausages for tea.
    Have a good day all xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 10th Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    • 227 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Can actually see the sun a bit today Dolly has been walked and has resumed her neighbourhood watch position on top of the sofa she takes her job very seriously
    Today is a person free day so will give the place a good clean . Dinner tonight is liver n bacon from the freezer and mash with cabbage.
    Hugs to all those who are under the weather and those with worries
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 40,305 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly, take it easy. Hugs to all those in need.

I looked after 3 three year olds yesterday whilst DD1 & 2 went to collect the rescue dog, she's lovely, very gentle and slept all night without a murmur. There is a pic of her on my blog.

CHS has been delivered to work, I've shopped, potatoes, bread and milk, it will tide us over this week.

I'm cleaning a boat in a sec, just need to gird my loins and put plenty of layers on, brrr.

I have chicken cooking on top of the woodburner, it will be ready for tea tonight.

Have a good day everybody.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 10th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 29,598 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Thank you Hollyharvey for the new thread, pleased to hear that your mum was brighter yesterday nmlc, a rota of visitors will be great, not only for you and your siblings to be able to organise all the other stuff better, but will be more restful for your mum too, visitors are lovely, but tiring. HuH I saw the photo of the little Staffie, such a sweetie, they are lovely dogs, I hope that she stays well and lives for a long time with your DD and family.

Not much get up and go again this morning, it being so chilly and murky does not help, but have to get going, gym re-arranged for this morning as the time I should be there tomorrow I have an appointment at hospital 50 miles away. To see a new consultant regarding a possible new condition to add to my portfolio, so a little apprehensive

Knit and natter this afternoon if I can get organised in time, always good fun so don't want to miss it if I can help it.

Hugs and spoons to all who need one, love the idea of the bucketful of hugs available to all
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 15,450 Posts
    • 129,992 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and a bright and sunny if blooming nippy one it is as well.<<Hugs>> to those who are in need of one.DGS Ben is off back to norwich today and we had a lovely lunch out at a country pub yesterday .He graduates in May and I can't believe how quickly the time has gone. Home this morning and just pottering around Our team won a bottle of plonk for the stash last night at quiz night so thats 6 bottle we have won over the past few months Once I have 13 bottle we all have a share out as my squad are in total 13 now, although they don't all turn up on the same night .But its a nice night out and a bit of fun with a bottle of wine now and again thrown in

This afternoon its the U3A meeting and its what we call a 'light' meeting as the january ones usually are because of folk who perhaps have coughs or colds and can't turn up ,or if the weather isn't very nice and some members can't get in from outlying places.We will hold it in our local dobbies instead of the usual hall because nubers are usually quite reduced for the january meeting.But I shall turn up have a good natter with friends and a freebie sup of coffee with my dobbies card so I'm looking forward to catching up with folk.

DD has just booked the Great Western in Norwich for Ben's graduation in May as the hotels will soon fill up locally.

DGS Jack is still awaiting an offer from Hertfordshire Uni, he has had two offers from Canterbury Christ Church and Royal Holloway so far we will just have to wait and see. I know he is hoping for Hertfordshire as it was his top choice. He is in the middle of his mocks for his A levels at the moment .Such a worrying time for youngsters but fingers crossed anyway

Right time for elevenses I think, hope you all have a good day and keep warm and dry if possible

Take care chums

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Jan 18, 11:53 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 17,505 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Horrid day tipping it down with rain.

My car was delivered back by the chap from the garage, new rear light cluster, checked over, washed and polished, just 2 small dints, the paint is not broken so will leave them for a while, all for £127.00 whew....I was expecting it to be a lot worse.

OH is up for his lunch, started the diuretics this morning, no real increase in the number of times he goes......may be is just passing a larger volume...sorry tmi.

I had a lousy night again last night, after 3am when I went off and I was awake just after 6am. We did not have the quilt up last night, think I might have got cold, so put my blanket back on.

I need to nip to the PO later, its my friends birthday next week, at the moment I doubt if we will make it over, so will send her card and take the pressie next time we go.

Please if anyone has any low salt recipes please let me have them OH hates any for of spice, so I am left with just herbs. I have some of the low salt stock cubes coming which will help.

I have to go shopping in the morning, will leave him in bed and hope to heavens the roads are ok. I have done a menu for 2 weeks and will shop for those ingredients plus a couple of things for the store cupboard which is looking rather depleted.

Time to go and heat up the lentil soup I made earlier for lunch. Fish in butter sauce with mash and mixed veg tonight. The last of the raspberry jelly for dessert.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 12,303 Posts
    • 37,302 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning lovelies

Sneaking in just in time to call it morning Have been up a long time but only just grabbing 5 mins for tea and a catch up

NMLC well done on the rota you need to take care of yourself as well as your mum
    Karcher Agree with Floss love go and see your GP you shouldnt be feeling this low

Yesterdays visit was a bit better. There were a few moments when I would happily have walked off and left her but on the whole a small improvement. Her hearing is awful now which means Im saying things 4/5 times before she gets them and she also shouts at really inappropriate moments. when we went for lunch a lady was at the bar ordering and mum yelled out "that woman is really loud" oh the irony the woman of course heard her and gave her a death stare of course you cant tell her and there will be no chance of getting her a hearing aid.

Picked up my Next order and as predicted most of it will be going back tomorrow but i did get a few nice bits

Had brekky this morning and thought id be a bit healthier so had some Skyr no fat no sugar no flavour yoghurt with granola and blueberries....yuk not for me it was like sucking a lemon so bitter. Back to toast for me. Got a nice piece of haddock from Morrisons yesterday so Im attempting an omelette Arnold Bennett tonight which should be tasty. Plenty of haddock for a fish pie as well. Got a very large jar of mincemeat yellow stickered to 75p sounds odd but going to make some mince pies this weekend as both mum and I miss them No reason why you cant have them in January eh

Right waffled long enough time to get on
    Have a lovely day everyone
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    • 15,632 Posts
    • 65,595 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all,

just a quick visit. Having problems with my pc and am reliant on my phone for internet.

Karcher many hugs. Normally the good days carry you through the bad days but when there are no good days you need to go and have a word with your GP.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,856Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter