Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spoderman
    • By Spoderman 10th Jan 18, 4:00 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Spoderman
    Product received and paid, but money not debited
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:00 AM
    Product received and paid, but money not debited 10th Jan 18 at 4:00 AM
    Hello, first post here, and I just found about these forums. Hope I'm posting it on the right place.

Recently I've ordered a laptop. In fact, I have received it almost 2 months ago. When I ordered it, I made a virtual visa card, since I don't have one, and charged it with 1350€ which is the laptop price. I used it to pay for it, and money was in fact collected by then. However 2 days after, the money was back in my bank account, and the product arrived.

Since then I've contacted the bank, who explained that the product was in fact paid, but for some reason the company issued a refund and tried to collect the money again, which was no longer possible since the first time they collected the money, the virtual card expired since it reached it limit. The bank then told me to contact the seller, since there was nothing they could do.

I then contacted the seller, and they told me there had been a mistake and that they would charge the product, or at least contact me in a maximum of 5 days. Well, 2 weeks have passed and no money has been collected, and I haven't received any contact from the seller. I feel like I have done my part already and shouldn't really bother with this anymore.

What should I do? How much time do they have to take the money from my account?

Thank you for your time
Page 1
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 10th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    • 738 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    LABMAN
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    They have up to six months to take take money without informing you further that they are going to do so. After that time up to six years they have to advise you in advance that they are going to take the money.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 19,188 Posts
    • 14,847 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    They have up to six months to take take money without informing you further that they are going to do so. After that time up to six years they have to advise you in advance that they are going to take the money.
    Originally posted by LABMAN
    Assuming this is in the UK (or 5 years in Scotland). But the mention of Euros in the price might indicate that either the seller or the OP are somewhere in the Eurozone.
    • Spoderman
    • By Spoderman 10th Jan 18, 7:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Spoderman
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:03 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:03 PM
    I live in Portugal. The product was ordered to Microsoft directly. So, if they dont take the money for 6 years what does that mean? Even after the 6 years window Im still obligated to pay them?

I think they will always have to warn me since I used a vurtual card that already expired, which means they dont have any payment info (at least thats what my bank told me on the phone).

Thank you
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 5,190 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    The 'six years' mentioned is a feature of the UK's Limitations Act.

The debt continues to exist after that six years, it's just that enforcement of that debt via the courts is no longer possible.

I have no idea what the equivalent limits might be in Portugal, nor those wherever the seller is based.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 10th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 18,432 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    I can't read Portuguese but it appears the limit is 20 years.

This is subject to Google translating correctly of course!

• Spoderman
    • By Spoderman 11th Jan 18, 12:39 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Spoderman
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:39 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:39 AM
    I've googled it too.

It seems the ordinary time for a debt to prescribe is 20 years, with some exceptions for health, education and services, which prescribe in 2-5 years.

So I guess they have 20 years to collect the money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

2,161Users online

Martin's Twitter