Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,876Posts
    • 19,602Thanks
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 41
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 5th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    • 2,675 Posts
    • 7,990 Thanks
    Loin Lamb chops, peas, new potatoes and garlic mushrooms
    Served with lashings of garlicky, onion gravy.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £1630/£6,000
    • metherer
    • By metherer 5th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    We had homemade fish fingers with chips and peas this evening. The fish was cod, egged then rolled in breadcrumbs which had oregano, salt, and pepper in. I served it with a lemon pepper mayonnaise.

Making up for last night - we had a takeaway curry and by heck it was lovely.
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 3,385 Posts
    • 22,397 Thanks
    Spag bol - quick meal as the ragu was in the freezer
    GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £68/£150
    GC YTD - £191/£390
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 5th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 48,840 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Hatful hope you have water now x
    MrsLW positive news about an offer so quickly.

Well for lunch I ended up having a cheese sarnie, ate it too quickly and gave myself a tummy ache...serves me right.

So for dinner I had a bowl of the very green soup I made on Sat after yoga. I added some sweet corn to it and a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice and it was actually ok. Will have a bowl for lunch tomorrow and prob Wed and I think that might be it. It's not too bad and I'm sure it's good for me (although tomorrow's forecast might be a tad windy with all those greens )

OH had tomato soup for dinner as I deduced when I got in from class, since I left before he got in from work.

Not a drop of snow left here, and the estate gardeners mowed over the last remains of a snowman when they did the grass that won't be in the JL 2018 Xmas advert
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 5th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    • 10,683 Posts
    • 27,938 Thanks
    How I can even move I don't know lol

Lunch was a macaroni cheese and it was pretty large but I scoffed the lot and enjoyed every mouthful

Then tonight I had beef casserole and dumplings

Im sat on the sofa looking like a dumpling lololol

Still its bitterly cold and damp here so I needed it esp as I work in temps that are so low, I pop into the fridge for a warm up
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • JIL
    • By JIL 5th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 2,876 Posts
    • 19,602 Thanks
    I made Yorkshire puddings, husband had one I had three. I had a vege sausage, he had lived and bacon casserole from freezer with mashed potatoes, carrots and swede and green beans. I enjoyed every mouthful, with gravy.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 159,071 Thanks
    Treat today as we're going to my favourite vegan restaurant at the old mill for lunch and supper this evening will be the very last of the broccoli and stilton soup with chicken for me and toast for He Who Knows. There will be a fat free yoghurt and some fresh fruit somewhere in the day too and of course that oh so important cup of coffee, Yummy!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 19,306 Posts
    • 51,203 Thanks
    Some sort of lightly dusted fish (I have a choice of 2 in the freezer) with new potatoes and peas.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 50,643 Thanks
    We're having KFC-style chicken with chips and hm coleslaw. Something quick as DH is on a later shift today.
    Savings 2018: £1288.56
    "I have not failed 10000 times, I have found 10000 ways that do not work" - Thomas Edison

• purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 6th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    i found some prawns in the freezer that I am defrosting for tonight's dinner.
    I did think some sort of rice dish but as yesterday's dinner was rice based, as is today's lunch to use up the leftovers, i'm not really fancying it again.
    my re-think is now pasta with said prawns, garlic, chilli and a few cherry tomatoes that are a little past their best.

am clearing space in freezer and using up lurking bits nicely now.
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
    2018 jan £124.69/£130 feb £157.97/£150
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 6th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 4,572 Thanks
    Still no water supply here, well barely a dribble coming from the taps. Have managed to fill the kettle (took a while) and have made soup for lunch.

It's over 50 hours since the supply went off but there was an hour yesterday afternoon when we had a decent flow so I filled a few pans and we all managed to grab a quick shower before it went off again. We did get our roast chicken dinner but the washing up was challenging.

We've just been issued with 12 large bottles of water and told that the supply will return this afternoon. Here's hoping as my washing basket is overflowing

Burger in a bun for dinner, with oven chips, just in case the water doesn't come back...
    Miles walked in 2018 - 173/700
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 6th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 36,398 Thanks
    Will have a bowl for lunch tomorrow and prob Wed and I think that might be it. It's not too bad and I'm sure it's good for me (although tomorrow's forecast might be a tad windy with all those greens
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Bagsy not sitting behind you in Yoga class

Chicken thighs with chorizo here tonight with roast bell peppers and sweet potatoes

Hatful - Fingers crossed for water supply x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

March GC £250.00/ .00
    • metherer
    • By metherer 6th Mar 18, 8:06 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    This evening we had turkey burgers and some frozen veg (carrot, cauli and broc).

It was a quick tea as I'm cooking up a storm for work tomorrow (flapjack, lemon drizzle cake, chocolate cake, and jam crumble slice) as it will be my birthday and I would rather take homemade goodies than buy them.
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 3,385 Posts
    • 22,397 Thanks
    Venison grill steak, mushrooms, broccoli, cheesy mash & gravy
    GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £68/£150
    GC YTD - £191/£390
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Mar 18, 6:43 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 36,398 Thanks
    DD and her BF are coming for dinner tonight, it was supposed to be stroganoff, as it's one of her favourites - after several calls/texts etc she now would like Mongolian Beef and all the trimmings.

I know I said I was looking forward to seeing her and wanted to cook something she liked, but when did dinner with your mother turn into an ordering service.... my fault I know, too soft
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

March GC £250.00/ .00
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 7th Mar 18, 7:29 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 4,572 Thanks
    Our water came back about 4pm yesterday thankfully. Will never take it for granted again...

DS is going back to uni today, he stayed home a bit longer than he thought he would as his lectures have been cancelled due to a strike. Anyway, we can have something he's not too keen on for dinner tonight - which is LO chicken in a stir fry with loads of veg.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 173/700
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 7th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 6,755 Thanks
    So sorry to hear some of you lost water

Working from home today so will take the advantage to whip up:

Shepherdless pie - with dehydrated soya mince and swede topping, serve with braised cabbage
    Lentil bolognese - I'll have mine with courgetti, DH/DD with some lasagne sheets that need using up (may snip them into thick taglietelle)
    Butternut squash soup - need to use up some butternut squash I cooked in the InstantPot a few months ago

...that should keep us going for a few days!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 159,071 Thanks
    Lunch today will be boiled eggies and crispbreads for me and a cuppa soup and sandwich for He Who Knows and for supper this evening I have some salmon steaks which I'll dist with paprika and sesame seeds and cook in the foreman grill served with new potatoes, steamed green beans and carrots, a fat free yoghurt for dessert and a cup of black coffee.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • C J
    • By C J 7th Mar 18, 9:00 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 5,941 Thanks
    C J
    I pulsed the huge chunk of leftover roast beef joint in the Magimix yesterday to turn it into mince for a cottage pie - and it worked really well. I was worried that I would regret having got rid of my mother's trusty old Spong mincer, but these worries were foundless.

So I made the cottage pie with lots of extra bits to bulk out the base - diced onions and carrots, finely chopped celery and courgette, cooked green lentils and a good glug of anchovy essence mixed into the gravy. I topped it with a buttery mixed root vegetable mash (potatoes, carrots, sweet potato and swede) and it was really delicious. Having another portion tonight, and there will still be at least another 6 meals worth for the freezer. It was quite an expensive joint of beef but it has proved to be very economical, considering how many meals I have squeezed out of it.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 7th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 1,651 Thanks
    Had scrambled eggs on toast with coffee for breakfast with a small portion of yoghurt with honey.

Just waiting for the dishwasher to finish before popping into town. Lunch will be a make yourself sandwich in Whole Foods Market.

Will be at friends for supper tonight so doubt it won't be anything special.. pasta with jar of sauce over the top?? type thing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,808Posts Today

7,207Users online

Martin's Twitter