Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,882Posts
    • 19,629Thanks
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 4
    • millicent
    • By millicent 13th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    Chicken en croute with a jacket spud, green salad and asparagus.
    Made a quick peppercorn sauce with a dash of brandy, crushed peppercorns and some Crème fraîche - was delish !!!128523;
    45,754.63 > 4,847.69 (March)

Here is a purse of moneys... which I'm not going to give to you.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Jan 18, 11:04 PM
    • 6,919 Posts
    • 48,887 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Got some beef out of the freezer tomorrow to make into a casserole (tiny bit of beef, will be bulked out with veg, but TBH, as long as I have enough liquid to cook it long and slow it doesn't matter as its only for me so I prob only need enough for two portions)

Found some noodles in the freezer too so stir fry tomorrow, just need veg to get for it.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 11,443 Posts
    • 159,229 Thanks
    Broccoli and stilton soup with chicken for me and toast for He Who Knows and supper this evening will be a small YS pork loin joint and a roast dinner with roast potatoes, steamed carrots, broccoli and green beans, apple sauce, stuffing and gravy! It's a long time since we had a roast and I'm looking forward to having some cold meat to play with meal wise for a couple of days.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 36,419 Thanks
    We are having fish pie, using up fish that was given to us by friends when they have been out sea fishing - random cod, pout etc Cauliflower topping for me, mash for the men

Made stock from turkey carcass yesterday, used some for pork in cider last night, will make the weeks soup for lunches today
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

March GC £250.00/ .00
    • gt568
    • By gt568 14th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    Lasagne and salads.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • C J
    • By C J 14th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 963 Posts
    • 5,968 Thanks
    C J
    I!!!8217;m about to make a meatloaf for tonight!!!8217;s supper. I!!!8217;m using minced beef and pork together with some pork sausage meat, and I think there!!!8217;ll be enough for at least six portions, so we might have it cold with salad, jacket potato and hm slaw tomorrow night too.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 6,919 Posts
    • 48,887 Thanks
    kerri gt
    We are having fish pie, using up fish that was given to us by friends when they have been out sea fishing - random cod, pout etc Cauliflower topping for me, mash for the men

Made stock from turkey carcass yesterday, used some for pork in cider last night, will make the weeks soup for lunches today
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    I'm comin to yours for dinner....right after I've been to Mrs LW
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JIL
    • By JIL 14th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 19,629 Thanks
    I have the in-laws for dinner today. Very plain eaters.

So it's beef, yorkshire puddings, cabbage, carrots, peas and roast and mashed potatoes. I will do some nut roast for myself.

I'm trying the beef in the slow cooker. As per this method, I'm interested in that it says it's possible to do a joint or chicken from frozen, has anyone else tried?
    • wannalot
    • By wannalot 14th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 1,058 Thanks
    Today’s brunch is smoked salmon and scrambled egg on a slice of low-carb bread.

I’m trying to use up stuff from the freezer and an awful lot of ageing salad leaves, so tonight’s dinner will be home-made vegetable broth, followed by a steak and blue cheese salad made with a sad little bit of prehistoric sirloin lurking in the bottom shelf of the freezer.
    January GC: £0/£110
    Aims for 2018:
    1. Stick to GC targets!
    2. No buying of books until I read what I have!
    4. Lose weight!
    5. Build up some savings!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 19,344 Posts
    • 51,356 Thanks
    I'm doing tandoori chicken with Bombay aloo (or it might turn into gobi aloo depending how much it cooks up into) and garlic & coriander naan bread
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 6,919 Posts
    • 48,887 Thanks
    kerri gt
    OH now wants stir fry tomorrow - hope the noodles are ok now I've got them out the freezer.

So he's having a picky tea and I have no idea. I've got the beef in for the casserole slowly cooking on low (will cook that for an hour or so first before adding anything else) but that's not really for today. Had I have known I'd have got something else out the freezer, perhaps mince for hm burgers or a steak. Might be king prawn alfredo as I have one in the freezer still. Or a mushroom risotto that's been sat in the cupboard for ages (though that would go with the steak thinking about it...neither of which OH likes / eats)
    JAN NSD 11/16

• hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 14th Jan 18, 5:00 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 4,593 Thanks
    We're having roast chicken, stuffing balls, roast pots and sweet potatoes, savoy cabbage, carrots, baby corn and gravy. There'll be loads of chicken left for a sandwich/wrap for tomorrow's lunch, a stir fry tomorrow night and some meat maybe to go in the freezer for a chicken and leek pie next week, as I have half a sheet of puff pastry in there that needs using up. Have also had the SC on all day with bolognese sauce in - seven portions made to stash away in the freezer.
    • MrsPear
    • By MrsPear 14th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Lunch was leftover chicken from last night and salad bits.

Dinner roast beef, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, carrots and broccoli with gravy. Fruit for afters. Plus the youngest decided on one wheatbix and milk. No idea why he had a huge dinner.
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
    • MrsPear
    • By MrsPear 14th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Oh and I wouldn!!!8217;t personally cook poultry from frozen. I do with fish but not meat. I can!!!8217;t explain my logic.
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 4,371 Posts
    • 41,548 Thanks
    Jack Monroe!!!8217;s aubergine and spinach Satay.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 10,705 Posts
    • 28,004 Thanks
    Liver and bacon today, mash and peas

I've had a deliciously lazy day today after doing a bit of decluttering and the thought of doing a roast went out of the window around 12ish
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 14th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 4,517 Posts
    • 37,488 Thanks
    We have been using up after having family to stay for the weekend. Leftover meatballs in toasties with leftover jacket potatoes made into wedges.

Oh and cooking anything from frozen in a slow cooker is a big no no I think, the slow cooker doesnt get hot enough to kill bacteria.
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 14th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 2,062 Thanks
    Toad in the hole today! Wrapped 4 of the sausages in pancetta so make toads in blankets in the hole XD With potatoes, baby carrots and broccoli.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - £64.29 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 14th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,352 Thanks
    Not been posting since Christmas, so getting back on track.

Yellow sticker brisket from Morries.

Seared then slow cooked all day with an onion, carrots and red potatoes. Delicious, easy and a favourites.

Added bonus - plenty to feed us all again tomorrow.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1,842 Posts
    • 16,979 Thanks
    I made a sort of bolognese padded out with veg..

I haven't had any but the one it was cooked for ate a small bowlful and said it was nice, but I'm not convinced

At least 'they' had protein, veg, garlic and herbs...fingers crossed it kick starts a recovery
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,464Users online

Martin's Twitter