Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Algebal
    • By Algebal 9th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Algebal
    Have I shot myself in the foot?
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    Have I shot myself in the foot? 9th Jan 18 at 10:50 PM
    Hi all,
    Reading through the threads I get the impression you can get out of paying almost all of these kind of fines..... but after reading the threads i think i have shot myself in the foot and now will have to pay.

I received the PCN from Smart parking on the 7th December because I over stayed in a car park they oversee (chelmsford County Council Cricket ground in Essex) i thought i had a good case as i had a ticket and had tried to pay via their app and phone service but it failed multiple times.... this meant i wasn't able to buy my ticket until 30 minutes after arriving (which made me late for my event as well). Long story short... I appealed before I read any of these threads.... I confirmed to them I was the one driving and went down the route that it was due to their faulty service that lead to the delay in payment.....
    They rejected it on the 22nd of December but i have been away over christmas and only just picked this up. As it has passed the "extended" early discount deadline of the 6th Jan I assume i cant complaint to the cricket ground.... and I'm now due to start looking at a POPLAR appeal that needs to be in by the 19th.
    My question is, is there still a chance i can win the POPLA, even though I have confirmed i was the driver and mentioned nothing of the clarity of the signs or anything you have basically said to say in the initial appeal threads?
    Any advise would be hugely appreciated.
    Last edited by Algebal; 09-01-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 34,187 Posts
    • 18,130 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    The deadline for complaining hasn't passed at all!

It's by far the easiest way to get this killed off.

You can still use everything in your popla appeal (except pofa arguments)
    • Algebal
    • By Algebal 9th Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Algebal
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    Thank you!
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    Thanks Quentin for your very quick response

Would you say its worth complaining to the Cricket ground but also appealing via POPLA (as opposed to the first Smart parking appeal i did), or do i need to hold off on my POPLA appeal until i get confirmation from the cricket ground?

Sorry for questions that might seem obvious answered to you haha The complaints section does say do both at the same time but not sure if that includes a POPLA appeal....
    Last edited by Algebal; 09-01-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 52,924 Posts
    • 66,467 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    do i need to hold off on my POPLA appeal until i get confirmation from the cricket ground?
    Yes, complain first.

POPLA codes will last a couple of days past the 28 so hold off on that this week & next.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 19-01-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Algebal
    • By Algebal 18th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Algebal
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    Sorry for not responding sooner. I just wanted to thank you for your responses above and also to thank this whole forum as without it I would have been £100 lighter.
    Due to the helpful comments above and on the forum, I did complain to the Cricket ground and held off on the POPLA (which I was thankful for as I'm not great with stuff like that dispite all the examples given on this site)
    Today I have had confirmation they have contacted smart parking who have cancelled the PCN and therefore another example where contacting the owner of the car park should be one of the first steps in contesting a ticket.... I would have save so much time and stress if I had seen this forum sooner.

Thank you
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 34,187 Posts
    • 18,130 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    Good news

But don't give up on POPLA till you get it in writing from the PPC they have cancelled
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter