Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in2deep
    • By in2deep 9th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 331Posts
    • 169Thanks
    in2deep
    Debts missing from credit file
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    Debts missing from credit file 9th Jan 18 at 8:52 PM
    Hi everyone,itís been a while since I last visited.
    I have 4 card debts,two are still in house and two with Caboot.
    7 years ago I started a self managed payment arrangement with them all paying £25 to each a month on a total of around 20K of debts.
    The only correspondence I ever have is that once a year I get a statement from them apart from that they have all left me alone.
    Recently I checked my credit score and all the debts owing vanished about a year ago from my file and Caboot never even appeared in the first place.
    I know I still owe it all but should I be doing something different now to deal with them(slightly confused). More importantly could they decide to put the debts BACK ON my file anytime they like.

Thank you
    'Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship'. -Benjamin Franklin.

£80k+ and rising at a frightening rate. Holding steady now.
    Only 30K left to deal with.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 13,079 Posts
    • 12,387 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    Hi,

Defaulted debts stay on your file for 6 years, then disappear.

They wonít come back no, but this does not effect your liability to pay them in any way whatsoever.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 9th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    I'm in a similar situation. I had 3 large defaults about 13 years ago and pay back via payplan. After 6 years they will drop off your file as you have experienced, but ensure you stick to the payments as you are still liable. I don't think a default can registered twice ( might he wrong) but they could take you through the courts and you end up with a ccj.
    I kept my payments the same. I just didn't want anything to cause new action. I never told them my new name or address or change in income. Guess I'm in denial but I prefer it this way.
    • in2deep
    • By in2deep 9th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    in2deep
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    Yes I’m still paying them and will continue to do so,I’m happy being left alone and I’m not going to jeopardise the calm.
    I was just wondering if the enforcement capabilities remain the same.
    'Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship'. -Benjamin Franklin.

£80k+ and rising at a frightening rate. Holding steady now.
    Only 30K left to deal with.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 13,079 Posts
    • 12,387 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Yes Iím still paying them and will continue to do so,Iím happy being left alone and Iím not going to jeopardise the calm.
    I was just wondering if the enforcement capabilities remain the same.
    Originally posted by in2deep
    Yes they do.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,246Posts Today

9,731Users online

Martin's Twitter