Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • uk1
    • By uk1 9th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,001Posts
    • 647Thanks
    uk1
    Claiming State Pension Online
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    Claiming State Pension Online 9th Jan 18 at 8:51 PM
    Hi all,

How far ahead of the date you wish to have payments start can you start the process online please? Does the online process have a section for you to state when you wish it to start? What are the stages in the process and how long lead time should I presume?

We plan to start the pensions on 6th April and both pensions are in deferral.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 23,999 Posts
    • 14,010 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/how-to-claim-a-deferred-state-pension
    • uk1
    • By uk1 10th Jan 18, 12:13 AM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    uk1
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:13 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:13 AM
    Thanks for the link which I had read. I couldn't see the answer to my questions hence me posting them here.

If I missed them, could you please point me to where they are answered ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by uk1; 10-01-2018 at 12:15 AM.
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 10th Jan 18, 7:02 AM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:02 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:02 AM
    You can claim upto 4 months in advance before you want it to start, however deferral part is not done until after your start date (just in case there is any changes to interest rate). So your pension will be paid at the normal rate you would be entitled to, and they will look at your deferral period after the start date to ensure it is correct
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • mjmal51
    • By mjmal51 10th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    mjmal51
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    To add to above post, you will receive the full amount due to you about 6-8 weeks after the start date and a lump sum for the period from start date to the full pension payment.
    I started my deferred pension 7th April last year and asked for weekly payment which is not an online option, you need to tell them you want this with a phone claim.
    Claiming online your first payment will be 4 weeks after the start date as it is paid 4 weeks in arrears with this method.
    Last edited by mjmal51; 10-01-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 10th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    uk1
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    Many thanks ....

There has been some posts in the past of delays hence that question about how long it was taking as against when you can apply.

MJM, did you take your pension on that specific date to coincide with a complete week to optimise or for some other reason I might consider?

Thanks again for the helpful responses.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 10th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    uk1
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    deleted .........
    Last edited by uk1; 10-01-2018 at 2:26 PM.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 23,999 Posts
    • 14,010 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    Thanks for the link which I had read.
    Did you not see the link to the form and notes which you could have read before using on line option?
    • uk1
    • By uk1 10th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    uk1
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    Did you not see the link to the form and notes which you could have read before using on line option?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Yes, I could have read it and did. I thought there might be differences between the printed and online form and there are.
    • mjmal51
    • By mjmal51 11th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    mjmal51

MJM, did you take your pension on that specific date to coincide with a complete week to optimise or for some other reason I might consider?

Originally posted by uk1
    I chose the date to be in the new tax year and the day of the week you are paid depends on the last 2 digits of your NI number - at least it did for those on old SP, not sure about the new one.
    7th was my payday.
    Last edited by mjmal51; 11-01-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 11th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    uk1
    I chose the date to be in the new tax year and the day of the week you are paid depends on the last 2 digits of your NI number - at least it did for those on old SP, not sure about the new one.
    7th was my payday.
    Originally posted by mjmal51
    Thanks,

I overlooked the pay day, and my memory is hazy, and couldn't remember whether on the old scheme they calculated the defferal amount daily or rounded down weekly. So to be safe and to completely maximise - I entered the start date as the first whole week from NRA after the 2018 tax year.

I completed two online applications at the same time and it was unnervingly straight forward and only took a few minutes. Somethrig must go wrong.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 11th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    badmemory
    I chose the date to be in the new tax year and the day of the week you are paid depends on the last 2 digits of your NI number.
    Originally posted by mjmal51
    I don't believe that that applies if you have deferred, well it didn't with the old one. My last 2 digits are in the 40s & I am paid on a Friday. I specified a start date (in plenty of time) and was paid 4 weeks after that. The nSP may well be different of course.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 11th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 1,921 Thanks
    greenglide
    The old pension can only start at the beginning of a pÓyweek because it is only paid in whole weeks.

NSP can start at any time and the odd days up to the next payday are pro rated. This gets rid of the "feature" that meant that people didn't get paid for the period between their SPa date and the start of the next pay week unless their SPa date and the payday happened to be aligned.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th Jan 18, 4:14 AM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    badmemory
    The old pension can only start at the beginning of a pÓyweek because it is only paid in whole weeks.

NSP can start at any time and the odd days up to the next payday are pro rated. This gets rid of the "feature" that meant that people didn't get paid for the period between their SPa date and the start of the next pay week unless their SPa date and the payday happened to be aligned.
    Originally posted by greenglide
    And to be blunt when they die then the pension dies also on that date and not at the end of the pay week (as per the old pension). Nobody gains by so much as a day.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 12th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 1,921 Thanks
    greenglide
    This is true but personally I would rather have the extra days when I am alive rather then when I am dead!

If you arrange to die on a payday (one in seven chance) the the old rules and the new rules pay the same amount!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

3,709Users online

Martin's Twitter