Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • london1973
    • By london1973 9th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 347Posts
    • 93Thanks
    london1973
    credit file headache!
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    credit file headache! 9th Jan 18 at 7:36 PM
    notwithstanding Fermi's fine thread on this i'm really finding this clean up a nightmare

Just registered with experian-it shows one defaulted account with the right default date-i.e before my bankruptcy date, and a 'partial settlement' date of before my discharge-and a balance of zero-is that all good and sorted, why 'partial'

More of a concern however I can't seem to find any record of any of the other debts that went into my bankruptcy, one credit card, a bank loan and a bank overdraft-they appear on clearscore but I thought Experian was far more thorough? are they hiding somewhere, I must say I find Experian quite cluttered and hard to navigate-if they aren't there is this good or bad?

Help!!!!1
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 15,698 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    Experian will only show the lenders who report to it.

It may be that then only report to Equifax and/or Call Credit.
    • london1973
    • By london1973 9th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    london1973
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    ok thanks, so is the one aforementioned account all sorted, do I need to do anything, not sure what partial settlement means-the balance is zero though

also the others that are missing are Barclaycard and Natwes-surely companies like this report to Experian? just worried i'm missing them somehow
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 15,698 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    Partial settlement means you didn't repay it in full.

Not all lenders report to all CRAs and not for all accounts. If you can't find your account on one, it means they don't - at least for those accounts in question.
    • london1973
    • By london1973 9th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    london1973
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    ok sorry to be a pain but i'm lost here
    I didn't repay it at all! it was a 5k credit card debt, went into my bankruptcy, that's it-balance now shows as zero, with a 'partial' settlement date - but as I say balance is now zero, does that mean its closed and I don't need to do anything?
    sorry i'm finding this all really impossible to get my head around!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 15,698 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    You don't need to do anything, as it was part of your bankruptcy. So you don't owe anything, but it was only partially settled.
    • london1973
    • By london1973 9th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    london1973
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    but I thought the whole point of the credit file clean up was to make sure all previous accounts are satisfied on your credit file, so they don't come back to bite you when you apply for credit 6 years hence?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 15,698 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    They are satisfied. Settled means there is nothing more to pay and they will not chase you.
    • GazHatesBanks
    • By GazHatesBanks 10th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    GazHatesBanks
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    but I thought the whole point of the credit file clean up was to make sure all previous accounts are satisfied on your credit file, so they don't come back to bite you when you apply for credit 6 years hence?
    Originally posted by london1973
    The point of the clean up is to make sure that the default dates and satisfied/partially settled dates are in line with your bankruptcy date and discharge date. Left to their own devices, many lenders will report late default dates and may never show the account as closed.

For closed accounts the agencies/lenders have 3 ways of reporting them:
    • Settled - paid in full and account closed;
    • Partially Settled - not paid in full, but lender has accepted a settlement figure of less than the amount owed and written off the balance;
    • Satisfied - not paid in full, but lender has accepted the closure of account and any balance is written off.

Generally under bankruptcy (and possibly other forms of insolvency), most lenders will report the account as satisfied (as they haven't agreed to a partial settlement but are forced to accept it), but in reality the two options are often interchangeable.

Either way, the account is closed and it will fall off your credit report 6 years from default date.

As to Barclaycard, they nearly always sell off the debt to another company (who presumably hope for a dividend from the bankruptcy estate) which could explain why it isn't showing on Experian. Some of these companies may not bother reporting to the CRAs - after all they're not expecting you to repay it.

I don't know about Natwest, but they may do the same.

You could check the other two CRAs - Noddle (for Call Credit) and Clearscore (For Equifax) and see if the accounts appear there and are correct.
    • london1973
    • By london1973 10th Jan 18, 7:37 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    london1973
    immensely helpful thankyou
    • london1973
    • By london1973 10th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    london1973
    final annoying question but does one need to keep checking the CRAs into the future to make sure lenders havenít reported the debt at a later date (for whatever reason) - or can one assume, with experian for example, that if its not there now its not going to be

if it helps i was declared BR oct 2016 and discharged a year later-
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jan 18, 8:27 AM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 15,698 Thanks
    zx81
    Bankruptcy doesn't change the frequency with which you need to check your files.

Errors could be made at any time, on defaulted and non defaulted accounts, but they are fairly rare. Check your files when you need to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,455Posts Today

10,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin