Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tingly
    • By tingly 9th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 171Thanks
    tingly
    Fee waiver if take life cover out-is this the right thing
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    Fee waiver if take life cover out-is this the right thing 9th Jan 18 at 7:33 PM
    Hello

I have just been to a mortgage broker who is independent.
    Rather than pay a fee for the advice, circa £599 , they have offered to forego the fee, providing i take life cover out with them- which is fine as i need it to cover the mortgage
    The only thing is that if i stopped the premiums any time in the next 4 years i will be charged the original £599.
    Does this sound normal to you?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 9th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 10,148 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    If you stop the insurance short term they won’t earn their full due from it to compensate them for the loss of the Broker fee.

Makes sense, but not an approach I like. Not a fan of subsidising one element of work with another.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 16,100 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ACG
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    Some brokers do it.
    It is not something I do personally, but not abnormal.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • tingly
    • By tingly 9th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    tingly
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    Thanks for the replies. What are the best alternatives to this please? Do some brokers give the advice in a different/better way to this?
    Also , is it true some brokers have access to “exclusive deals”
    Thanks
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 16,100 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ACG
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    I charge a fee for the advice and there is no reduction for taking out insurance. My thinking is that I get paid for the Mortgage job and I get paid for the insurance job.

If you cancel the insurance down the line, I will not be chasing you for payment. If you cancel it, you cancel it and I just pay the clawback.

Brokers do have exclusives and/or semi exclusives. It does not necessarily mean we will always be the best/cheapest.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • tingly
    • By tingly 9th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    tingly
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    Thanks acg. Just to clarify- you charge for the advice regardless of what i take out with you and then i just pay you either before or after the mortgage? Is that right? .... just out of interest, what if the mortgage didnt go through- would i just sort of chalk it up to experience then?
    Thanks
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 16,100 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ACG
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    I charge a fee on full Mortgage offer.
    I would refund or transfer to a new application if the mortgage did not complete because the lender pulled their offer because of my mistake or theirs.
    Last edited by ACG; 09-01-2018 at 8:34 PM.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,819Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin