Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EchoW
    • By EchoW 9th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 3Thanks
    EchoW
    Neighbour has piled leafs next to my car
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    Neighbour has piled leafs next to my car 9th Jan 18 at 7:04 PM
    Hello, I am after a little advice.

I've just got in from work to find that my neighbour has cleared her garden of leafs etc and has piled them next to my car in the drive.

We have trees along the public road so maybe they have blown across my front into hers as there is just some plants/small shrubs that divide the boundary but I find this quite extreme.

I would literally have to clear them to get my kids in the car as the pile is literally that big.

Do I bite the bullet and clear them, sweep them onto the public path (can you do this) or shovel them into her garden?
Page 1
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 9th Jan 18, 7:08 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 6,836 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:08 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:08 PM
    Call in to her and ask why she put them there. Bring a cake.
    • EchoW
    • By EchoW 9th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EchoW
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    I tried but she denied it was her, however she's put old laminate flooring up as some sort of makeshift barrier...
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 9th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 9,622 Posts
    • 17,706 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    I would imagine she's fed up of having to clean up your leaves and has given them back to you to dispose of. No you can't just dump them on a public path as that's regarded as littering. You need to pick them up and put them in your recycling bin or compost heap - they're yours after all if they're from your trees & bushes - why should she have to dispose of them for you?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 18,975 Posts
    • 43,825 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    I would imagine she's fed up of having to clean up your leaves and has given them back to you to dispose of. No you can't just dump them on a public path as that's regarded as littering. You need to pick them up and put them in your recycling bin or compost heap - they're yours after all if they're from your trees & bushes - why should she have to dispose of them for you?
    Originally posted by Pennywise
    You obviously missed this:

We have trees along the public road
    Originally posted by EchoW

They are not OP's leaves and the neighbour has fly-tipped them on her property.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 9th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    If they're from council-owned trees, I'd send the kids out to have a good kick around in them until they're back on the public road. Alternatively, your council may supply free bags for you to put them into and leave out for collection, ours does (separate from normal green waste collections, it's specifically for leaves from council-owned trees). If you don't want to bag them up yourself, order some for your neighbour for next time - surely it'd be easier for her to put them in a bag rather than cart them over to yours?
    • EchoW
    • By EchoW 9th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EchoW
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    Thank you, I'll try and give them a ring as the entire street has trees along the public road/footpath.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Jan 18, 11:41 PM
    • 8,025 Posts
    • 8,214 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:41 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:41 PM
    I'm struggling to see what the PVW interest is here?
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 10th Jan 18, 6:33 AM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 7,014 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:33 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:33 AM
    The neighbour has kindly swept the pavement/their garden free of leaves some of which may come from your plants/trees, some of which come from trees in the street. Sounds like they cleared quite a stretch.

Would it really be so hard for you to think great, I don't have to sweep up all those leaves which could easily drift into my garden and make it look messy. I'll do the other half of the job and bag them up/take them to the tip etc. I can't even see it taking an hour, probably half an hour and two or three bags. Good exercise. Your kids would probably have a laugh helping. It was always one of the few jobs my kids enjoyed helping with lol (particularly jumping on the bags to compress the leaves).

Maybe you could clear your garden/pavement a bit more regularly so they'd be no question of who the leaves didn't come from? That's if you aren't doing that already. From the sounds of it, you aren't.

I can't count the number of times I have cleaned up leaves from all neighbouring pavements as well as my particular 10 foot patch as well as clearing my garden. Sometimes they do it. Its called being neighbourly and much easier than getting hung up on who owns what etc.

They are leaves (not leafs) its not like someone has left an entire 3 piece suite in front of your car. Now that would be annoying.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 10-01-2018 at 6:39 AM.
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Jan 18, 6:52 AM
    • 12,893 Posts
    • 8,376 Thanks
    photome
    The neighbour has kindly swept the pavement/their garden free of leaves some of which may come from your plants/trees, some of which come from trees in the street. Sounds like they cleared quite a stretch.

Would it really be so hard for you to think great, I don't have to sweep up all those leaves which could easily drift into my garden and make it look messy. I'll do the other half of the job and bag them up/take them to the tip etc. I can't even see it taking an hour, probably half an hour and two or three bags. Good exercise. Your kids would probably have a laugh helping. It was always one of the few jobs my kids enjoyed helping with lol (particularly jumping on the bags to compress the leaves).

Maybe you could clear your garden/pavement a bit more regularly so they'd be no question of who the leaves didn't come from? That's if you aren't doing that already. From the sounds of it, you aren't.

I can't count the number of times I have cleaned up leaves from all neighbouring pavements as well as my particular 10 foot patch as well as clearing my garden. Sometimes they do it. Its called being neighbourly and much easier than getting hung up on who owns what etc.

They are leaves (not leafs) its not like someone has left an entire 3 piece suite in front of your car. Now that would be annoying.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Agreed

some of us have brown bins ( about £50 a year) to put garden rubbish in so that helps of course
    • warby68
    • By warby68 10th Jan 18, 7:09 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 9,081 Thanks
    warby68
    Try and think 'neighbourly' not what are my absolute rights if these leaves were technically not from your plants - your neighbour seems to be making a point. In the interests of longer term co-existing it might be worth taking that point.

Can't believe people think about 'ringing the council' rather than just getting on with it.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 30,604 Posts
    • 19,353 Thanks
    DCFC79
    You could take them to the tip or if you have a garden waste bin ise that although I suspect you as you would just them in there.

Put the leaves on your garden since they will break down anyway.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 19,148 Posts
    • 14,823 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Ideal opportunity to make yourself some leafmould.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 10th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 9,042 Posts
    • 13,139 Thanks
    meer53
    I would literally have to clear them to get my kids in the car as the pile is literally that big.

I would literally clear them.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 10th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 2,672 Thanks
    tykesi

I would literally clear them.
    Originally posted by meer53
    Like, literally.
    £2018 in 2018 - £416.84

£2017 in 2017 - £7097.88

£2016 in 2016 - £3087.89
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 23,308 Posts
    • 60,498 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I have some sympathy with the OP. The neighbour sounds petty.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • EchoW
    • By EchoW 10th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EchoW
    Thanks for the responses.

I checked this morning and there's quite a bit of soil, stones, a flower pot and broken glass buried in the pile too so I'm glad my kids didn't kick them. It looks like my neighbour has cleared her garden of crap and it's been dumped in mine.

I do try and keep my front garden clear as best I can every couple of weeks as well. As to being neighbourly I'll clear the rubbish on the weekend...
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 14th Jan 18, 3:54 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 6,404 Thanks
    ska lover
    What a petty neighbour you have, op. She sounds a right turd
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 14th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 387 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Sarastro
    It all sounds quite petty - don't encourage it.

Bag it all up and get rid of it and keep your path / garden clear and it probably won't happen again.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 14th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    • 15,742 Posts
    • 11,583 Thanks
    hollydays
    I just find the title irritates me..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

1,554Users online

Martin's Twitter