Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Amy91x
    • By Amy91x 9th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Amy91x
    First time Self Assessment help
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    First time Self Assessment help 9th Jan 18 at 3:39 PM
    Hi

I'm pretty clueless. This is my very first time doing self assessment tax online (well not just online, ever), my step dads helping me with it as he's been self employed most of his working life so knows about it all - but I don't want to ask him this question because his wording will just confuse me further!

Anyway, my situtation is:
    When I was originally signing up as self employed, I seem to have signed up on 2 email addresses (I think I had an issue where it wouldn't let me use the same email when I was enrolling for self assessment).

One email address login says it's a personal tax account and the other, which is the one I've enrolled for self assessment, says it's a business tax account.

I know this sounds so stupid and clueless, but what's the difference? Will it cause any problems when I do the business self assessment because I'm registered on 2 email addresses?

I hope I explained this clearly.
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 9th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    I have, at one point, had three different government gateway accounts (one personal, one for my company and a separate one for my company VAT). I was able to merge the two company ones though I can't remember how. I do my personal tax return through my personal account.

The "business tax account" - as long as it shows the correct UTR then it shouldn't be a problem. But you might want to try speaking to HMRC to see if they can get all of your online services under a single gateway account to keep things simple.
    • Amy91x
    • By Amy91x 9th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Amy91x
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    Thank you!

The UTR is correct, so I'll call them and see if they can merge them. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,573Users online

Martin's Twitter