Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 9th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 982Posts
    • 934Thanks
    tberry6686
    complete new central heating install pricing
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    complete new central heating install pricing 9th Jan 18 at 2:06 PM
    Just found out that the price I was given for getting gas from the mains to my house 2 years ago was messed up by the supply company. Instead of around £10k it will only be around £500.

So with that in mind it now makes sense to go down the route of getting gas central heating installed to replace my aging and failing storage heaters.

Only drawback is I have absolutely no idea what I should be looking for and how much it is likely to cost to do.

I have a 3 bed semi that is reasonably well insulated and would need hot water and heating from the system. Water flow rates from the cold supply is excellent (if that makes a difference).

Anyone able to suggest what may be required and roughly how much it would cost ? I plan to do quite a lot of work on the house this year (new windows/doors, redecoration throughout and new carpets throughout so not overly concerned with making good).

I'm hoping to get everything done for under £12k but can go higher if needed.

Thanks
Page 1
    • clairesilverspar
    • By clairesilverspar 9th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    clairesilverspar
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    The price will vary depending on the specifics of the system you want installed, placement of the radiators, boiler etc, and how much time and work it will need to install. You will need to consider whether you want the pipes "chasing in" which means they will run the pipes inside the wall, which will mean an element of redecoration/plastering, or whether you would like the pipes running over the wall, with trunking. It will also depend on the size of the boiler needed, where it will be sited, and whether the flue will need to go through the roof, or whether you have it on an external wall.

Most installers would be happy to come and discuss your requirements and give you a quote for the works.

I'm looking at installing a new heating system into a house which already has a gas supply, but no heating.
    In a smallish two bedroomed, terraced house, for four radiators, pipes not chased in, and for an A-rated boiler, I've just been quoted slightly less than £3k. This includes labour, parts, and removal of the existing immersion heater and water tank. I'm also in the North of England. I imagine it would be a lot more expensive further south.

Just to add: this is for a basic system, with temperature control on each radiator, but none of the app controlled/wifi connected stuff you can get. Its also quite a small boiler, as there is just the two of us, one shower, and its a small house.
    Last edited by clairesilverspar; 09-01-2018 at 2:33 PM.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 9th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    Just found out that the price I was given for getting gas from the mains to my house 2 years ago was messed up by the supply company. Instead of around £10k it will only be around £500.

So with that in mind it now makes sense to go down the route of getting gas central heating installed to replace my aging and failing storage heaters.

Only drawback is I have absolutely no idea what I should be looking for and how much it is likely to cost to do.

I have a 3 bed semi that is reasonably well insulated and would need hot water and heating from the system. Water flow rates from the cold supply is excellent (if that makes a difference).

Anyone able to suggest what may be required and roughly how much it would cost ? I plan to do quite a lot of work on the house this year (new windows/doors, redecoration throughout and new carpets throughout so not overly concerned with making good).

I'm hoping to get everything done for under £12k but can go higher if needed.

Thanks
    Originally posted by tberry6686

If you get quotes for anything close to £12k you're having your pants pulled down.

We had our three bedroom town house fitted with full central heating (8 radiators and a mid range boiler) for £3800 from a local guy who came recommended. Four quotes ranged from £3500 to £4800.
    £2018 in 2018 - £347.08

£2017 in 2017 - £7097.88

£2016 in 2016 - £3087.89
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 9th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 934 Thanks
    tberry6686
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    I should have been clearer. Hoping to get everything (windows, doors, carpet, central heating and redecorate) fo under £12k.

Thanks
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 9th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 5,267 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    The price will vary depending on the specifics of the system you want installed, placement of the radiators, boiler etc, and how much time and work it will need to install. You will need to consider whether you want the pipes "chasing in" which means they will run the pipes inside the wall, which will mean an element of redecoration/plastering, or whether you would like the pipes running over the wall, with trunking. It will also depend on the size of the boiler needed, where it will be sited, and whether the flue will need to go through the roof, or whether you have it on an external wall.

Most installers would be happy to come and discuss your requirements and give you a quote for the works.

I'm looking at installing a new heating system into a house which already has a gas supply, but no heating.
    In a smallish two bedroomed, terraced house, for four radiators, pipes not chased in, and for an A-rated boiler, I've just been quoted slightly less than £3k. This includes labour, parts, and removal of the existing immersion heater and water tank. I'm also in the North of England. I imagine it would be a lot more expensive further south.

Just to add: this is for a basic system, with temperature control on each radiator, but none of the app controlled/wifi connected stuff you can get. Its also quite a small boiler, as there is just the two of us, one shower, and its a small house.
    Originally posted by clairesilverspar
    Personally I would never chase heating pipes into a solid wall.
    You can’t fit anything but an A rated boiler.
    If you only have trv’s then this doesn’t comply with building regs as you need a minimum of a room stat & time control.
    From your post I’m guessing you have a combi so it should have been sized for your hot water requirements (the higher output boiler the faster your hot water will flow for a given temperature) & not the size of your house.
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • konark
    • By konark 11th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    konark
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    [QUOTE=southcoastrgi;73692104
    From your post Iím guessing you have a combi so it should have been sized for your hot water requirements .[/QUOTE]

The OP clearly states she has NO central heating at present.

£3,500 should be about right, go with a combi system, take copper hot water cylinder to scrappers for £££.
    • J B
    • By J B 12th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    J B
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    The OP clearly states she has NO central heating at present.
    Originally posted by konark
    But the reply you tried to quote, wasn't to the OP
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 12th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 5,267 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    But the reply you tried to quote, wasn't to the OP
    Originally posted by J B
    obv they missed that point
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,448Posts Today

11,058Users online

Martin's Twitter