Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• confusedmummy
    • By confusedmummy 9th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 185Posts
    • 118Thanks
    Will question
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    Will question 9th Jan 18 at 1:02 PM
    I hope this is the right forum to ask this question.

My husband a I both have wills and the beneficiaries are my husband/children.

What would happen in the unlikely even that we all died? Who would our estate pass to?

Can we specify who we want to be the inheritors in such a situation and would we have to do it within the will or can we have it written on a separate signed paper?

I don't get on with certain family members so would not want them to inherit from me.
Page 1
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 9th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    In the event that all the beneficiaries died before or at the same time as you (perhaps you all die in the same car accident) I believe your assets would be divided between your remaining family members according to the law of intestacy - the same as if you didn't have a will at all. Roughly speaking that means that the pecking order would be: Your parents, your siblings, your nieces/nephews, your grandparents, your aunts/uncles, and then your cousins.

If you don't like the sound of that then you should make a will which sets out what you want to happen in the event that your husband and children die before you, or at the same time as you. It may be possible to do this through a codicil, or it may be better to do a new will - not sure on that one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

765Posts Today

7,093Users online

Martin's Twitter