Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 9th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 45Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    0 WOW
    Abroad, cheap and warm....best place?
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    0 WOW
    Abroad, cheap and warm....best place? 9th Jan 18 at 1:00 PM
    This has probably been asked a gazillion times before, but the search function on here is awful.

Myself and OH are planning a week away towards the end of this year and would appreciate any suggestions of places where we will still get *guaranteed (*as guaranteed as it can be!) warm weather.....don't mean mega hot....not 30 degrees plus or anything, but warm enough for t-shirts and shorts.

We are flexible with dates, there is just the two of us, no kids so we really want to avoid school holiday times wherever possible. We are not big "going outers" either, so doesn't matter if things get quiet when the season ends. We were thinking of some time in November (to give us time to save).

Thoughts so far are the Canary Islands, Menorca or Portugal.....any recommendations?

Oh and of course, budget is also a big factor!
Page 1
    • secretmachines
    • By secretmachines 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    secretmachines
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    Dubai is fantastic, with almost guaranteed sunshine. It's safe, clean and can be done on a budget!
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 9th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    Uganda, great for wildlife and fantastic experience
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Jan 18, 7:09 PM
    • 11,829 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:09 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:09 PM
    Consider Gambia: can be very good value.
    • trixie73
    • By trixie73 9th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    trixie73
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    Just had a quick search on Thomas cook. There's some cheap deals on there for the canaries at the end of November. Cheapest I saw was to Tenerife on the 27th for a week . £288pp sc. Thats a full package holiday so includes luggage and transfers.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 9th Jan 18, 10:21 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:21 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:21 PM
    We go to Tenerife every year in November, and really enjoy it. The weather is great, not too hot, but definitely swimwear and shorts temperatures. I get just as good a tan as when I go to hotter places in the summer.
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 10th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    Apologies, I should have said in the OP that my OH doesn't like to fly, so the further afield destinations will be a no-no I'm afraid......it has taken me three years to persuade him to even consider a holiday abroad

Tenerife sounds good though especially at under 300 quid per person!! I will definitely be looking at Tenerife
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 10th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 6,749 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    Dubai is fantastic, with almost guaranteed sunshine. It's safe, clean and can be done on a budget!
    Originally posted by secretmachines
    Everything can be done on a budget.....just depends what that budget is.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 10th Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    wazza99
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    I look at Dubai every year but never ever does it come up as a bargain....would like to try the place though.
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 10th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    Everything can be done on a budget.....just depends what that budget is.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Looking at under £450pp if possible

I look at Dubai every year but never ever does it come up as a bargain....would like to try the place though.
    Originally posted by wazza99
    Dubai is definitely out for us, too far to fly
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 10th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Canary Islands, Menorca, Portugal (assuming you are talkinf about somewhere like the Algarve and not Lisbon)..... they are all the same... basically a hotter version of England.

All British food, tourists, etc... for the person who wants exactly what they can have in Blighty with the chances of sun being the only differentiating factor.

Just pick the best value...
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 8,104 Posts
    • 13,709 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Canary Islands, Menorca, Portugal (assuming you are talkinf about somewhere like the Algarve and not Lisbon)..... they are all the same... basically a hotter version of England.

All British food, tourists, etc... for the person who wants exactly what they can have in Blighty with the chances of sun being the only differentiating factor.

Originally posted by NineDeuce
    Depends what you want from a holiday. You could go to those places and actually experience the country

All 3 places have the bits you describe and they have nice bits as well.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 10th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    eamon
    As the OP's OH is reluctant to fly getting to somewhere warm/hot/sunny in Autumn/Winter is going to be difficult. But I agree with the destinations already mentioned. You can get to the Canaries by land & sea, takes forever & is expensive e.g. circa £900 return Cadiz to Santa Cruz Tenerife.
    • whatsthenews
    • By whatsthenews 18th Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    whatsthenews
    Well for something cheap, pleasant and a great place to wander around with easy access to the train to the airport, Malaga and other resorts, bus up to Benalmadena Pueblo, Mijas etc and I'd recomend Arroyo de la Miel on Costa del Sol. Lots of good value places to eat spanish food inc' tapas, italian, english, chinese etc.Only a couple of hotels actually in Arroyo itself but a far number of apartment rentals on the usual sites. We stayed in a nice one with a pool and big terrace that was literally spitting distance from the station.
    There's also a train that goes from Malaga up to a town called Alora which is lovely.Again mostly going to be apartments or maybe smaller hotels. From Alora the train continues up the valley to El Chorro and the terrifying (IMO) Caminito del Rey. The scenery is fabulous and the lakes near Ardales are beautiful but you'd need a car to get there. Would still be in the 20's in November.
    • whatsthenews
    • By whatsthenews 18th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    whatsthenews
    the apartment we stayed in in Arroyo is on holidaylettings. Would be about £450 for the week. Very clean bright apartment with everything you need. The guy is Dutch.
    Apartment Benalmadena 200 m from Tivoli World – Home 4938740
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 18th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    bagand96

Originally posted by NineDeuce
    You've obviously not been very adventurous or explored much if you've been to those destinations and that's your impression.

To the OP, if you want "guaranteed" sunshine, I'd probably go for the Canaries or at the very least if it's mainland Spain, the very South. The Balerics can have great weather in autumn, but it can also be pretty variable.
    Last edited by bagand96; 18-01-2018 at 9:19 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

4,937Users online

Martin's Twitter