Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LaurenAlderson
    • By LaurenAlderson 9th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LaurenAlderson
    Solar assisted heat pumps - night time solar
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    Solar assisted heat pumps - night time solar 9th Jan 18 at 11:38 AM
    I have a keen interest in all the new renewable systems that are coming into play at the moment and am totally fascinated by solar assisted heat pumps. They now seem to be replacing traditional solar thermal. The thing i just can't believe is that these systems actually generate hot water at night or in bad weather or freezing conditions. The term 'solar' in the case of these systems doesn't just apply to the sun. Does anyone have some experience of solar hot water generators?
Page 1
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 9th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    I think these are also referred to as Thermodynamic panels. They work by circulating a very cold liquid refrigerant through veins in the panel. This liquid is approximately -22°C when it enters the panel. Due to the large temperature difference between the liquid in the panel and the outside air a heat transfer will take place. Heat energy is absorbed by the panel and transferred into a store of water within the property. Thermodynamic panel systems are designed to heat hot water and constantly keep the water hot 24 hours a day at 55°C. The panels will work at night, as they work on a similar principle to a fridge, and can be positioned facing any direction. They work quicker in direct sunlight (hence the solar assistance) because there is a higher temperature difference, so the heat can be harvested quicker, but the result is the same and the temperature will not go above 55°C, no matter how hot the sunny day gets.

It works on a similar principle as other heat pump technologies (air sourced, water sourced & ground sourced). I'd imagine in the UK that it would be more efficient than air and water heat pumps but not ground sourced heat pumps, because it would have consistently higher source temperature to extract heat from.
    Last edited by pile-o-stone; 09-01-2018 at 7:05 PM.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 4,893 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    I have a keen interest in all the new renewable systems that are coming into play at the moment and am totally fascinated by solar assisted heat pumps. They now seem to be replacing traditional solar thermal. The thing i just can't believe is that these systems actually generate hot water at night or in bad weather or freezing conditions. The term 'solar' in the case of these systems doesn't just apply to the sun. Does anyone have some experience of solar hot water generators?
    Originally posted by LaurenAlderson
    Hi

No experience, but there was a detailed discussion on this forum about 5 years ago which may be of some interest .... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com /showthread.php?t=4205509&page=2 ... read the thread from the beginning, but I've linked to page 2 because that's where the technical discussion starts! ...

We're pretty much into energy efficiency, but still have the same views as expressed then ...

After that, if you're still interested in heating hot water with solar, there's some reasonable unbiased background/seasonal information on both 'standard' PV & thermal options on a blog-site here ... https://goo.gl/m95Cwz

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • LaurenAlderson
    • By LaurenAlderson 11th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LaurenAlderson
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    It works on a similar principle as other heat pump technologies (air sourced, water sourced & ground sourced). I'd imagine in the UK that it would be more efficient than air and water heat pumps but not ground sourced heat pumps, because it would have consistently higher source temperature to extract heat from.
    Thanks for all the advice.
    I did a little bit more digging on ground source heat pumps, correct me if i'm wrong but aren't they quite expensive to install, and require a lot of ground work, digging holes etc?. Yes they are more consistent than air source, but as the temperature gets colder their COP must be altered too?

The thing i find so fascinating about solar assisted, is that they work with the air temperature/weather and use it to their advantage.
    I found an interesting article by a company on Facebook, although i'm not allowed to post links yet. Infinity Innovations Ltd have published an article called "Bunsen -inside my innovation".This is just one company, to my knowledge there are quite a few distributing similar products? I wonder if this is going to mean solar thermal will become obsolete?
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 11th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 4,893 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    Thanks for all the advice.
    I did a little bit more digging on ground source heat pumps, correct me if i'm wrong but aren't they quite expensive to install, and require a lot of ground work, digging holes etc?. Yes they are more consistent than air source, but as the temperature gets colder their COP must be altered too?

The thing i find so fascinating about solar assisted, is that they work with the air temperature/weather and use it to their advantage.
    I found an interesting article by a company on Facebook, although i'm not allowed to post links yet. Infinity Innovations Ltd have published an article called "Bunsen -inside my innovation".This is just one company, to my knowledge there are quite a few distributing similar products? I wonder if this is going to mean solar thermal will become obsolete?
    Hi

What are you looking to heat - DHW or the property? ... If you can provide some info/ rough details then someone may be able to provide some input using related renewable energy/high efficiency technology combinations ...

Did you read the discussion thread linked ? - if so, nothing's really changed much, apart from the number of suppliers making outrageous performance claims ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • LaurenAlderson
    • By LaurenAlderson 16th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LaurenAlderson
    • 16th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 16th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    It's actually my parents looking for a DHW system for their new property which is under renovation. I'm looking into some systems for them although I only have very limited technical knowledge. They currently run on oil which has been proving very expensive.
    Outrageous claims? Can you give any examples?
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 16th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 4,893 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 16th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    It's actually my parents looking for a DHW system for their new property which is under renovation. I'm looking into some systems for them although I only have very limited technical knowledge. They currently run on oil which has been proving very expensive.
    Outrageous claims? Can you give any examples?
    Hi

I think you really do need to make a mug of coffee, sit down and sift through the links in post#3 in order to understand the issues involved, it'll take a little time, but you are talking about Łthousands so it could just work out to be quite a money-saving exercise ... afterwards, come back and ask questions on anything that the previous discussion doesn't cover, or you don't follow !

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 16-01-2018 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Highlighted in bold
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

2,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin