Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 9th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 286Posts
    • 71Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Malaga car hire - why so cheap, whats the catch?
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    Malaga car hire - why so cheap, whats the catch? 9th Jan 18 at 11:31 AM
    I came back from Thailand a few weeks ago, I hired out the cheapest car I could find a nissan almera 1.2L for £138 (5 days), which is what I would expect to pay to hire a car in the UK.

I'm planning a trip to malaga soon and want to explore southern spain by car and I'm looking at car hire prices. I'm quite surprised to find out how cheap car hire in malaga is. A vw polo for 5 days is just £38.

I dont even know how they make money to even pay depreciation on their vehicles at these prices.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 32,232 Posts
    • 37,942 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    The hard sell on insurance "upgrade" at the airport
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 16,105 Posts
    • 14,399 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    When are you going, relative to peak times?
    • takman
    • By takman 9th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    takman
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    It all depends on how much research you have done on the company and what kind of company they are. If it's a poor company then it will be exactly as Browntoa describes.

But i have found some genuinely good smaller companies who offer great prices. One company in the Canary Islands I've had a small car for 7 days for 36 Euros and as standard they include full insurance with no excess and a second driver. So all i had to to was bring it back with the fuel the same level as i left, I've used them a few times without any issues.
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 9th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 4,137 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    The actual car rental itself are cheap enough if you are not going at peak times or book well in advance

They make a big profit on add ons ,Insurance ,Fuel etc

Out of interest who is the car with ?
    Have a nice day
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    facade
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    The hard sell on insurance "upgrade" at the airport
    Originally posted by Browntoa

Followed by stinging your credit card for "damage" if you don't take the full zero excess insurance.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • antenna
    • By antenna 9th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 973 Thanks
    antenna
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    You will NEVER hire a car in Malaga for £38.....or £58....or £78...or £98,
    Car Hire £38,EXTRAS £108....total £146......
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 9th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    There are a whole bunch of possibilities.

Obviously insurance hard sell or charging outrageous sums for fictitious damage or stone chips can be a way for Goldcar and their ilk to fleece unwary punters.

Is it a newish car you are getting? Some of the cheaper operators are renting out older vehicles. I've had good deals on high mileage rental vehicles. As long as they are well maintained and existing damage is properly recorded they are fine.

They may also have surplus cars from the manufacturer at a deep discount to list price, so depreciation may be less than you think.

Finally, they may actually be renting vehicles out at a loss while it's quiet and making it up by charging a lot more at peak times.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 9th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    I hired for 14 days at less than £200 with not the rock bottom options, group E car (group C ordered) and didn't go with their rock bottom option as the next one up just gave a bit of piece of mind over breakdown and a couple of other things where we would have been left to our own devices.

Check out CDW insurance from 3rd party options, about £4 or less daily rate which covers the eye-watering costs if you do get damage.

I can recommend malagarcar.com.

Andalusia a joy to drive around, quiet roads and relaxed drivers in the main, but villages are not at all car friendly, and are where many a careless moment can cause car damage.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 9th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    wgl2014
    They have the cars anyway so to charge £50 or whatever is still £50 more than having the car sat there unused.

As already stated take out excess cover before going if you are OK with paying any charges and claiming it back.

FWIW I've never had an issue with any charges when returning a rental car , maybe I've just been lucky!
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 9th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    i normally get a third party excess insurance. I drove around thailand and despite having that cover I wished I had paid more and got the cover with the hire company as it would mean there aren;t any paperwork issues and hire car putting a large hold on your account.

The hold in thailand was low though, at around £210. But the spanish company would hold £600+.

I looked at quotes at malagacar.com probably quiet season 12 to 19 jan 2018
    • takman
    • By takman 9th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    takman
    i normally get a third party excess insurance. I drove around thailand and despite having that cover I wished I had paid more and got the cover with the hire company as it would mean there aren;t any paperwork issues and hire car putting a large hold on your account.

The hold in thailand was low though, at around £210. But the spanish company would hold £600+.

I looked at quotes at malagacar.com probably quiet season 12 to 19 jan 2018
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    Why does it matter what hold they put on your account if your using a credit card?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    • 15,964 Posts
    • 9,221 Thanks
    motorguy
    I came back from Thailand a few weeks ago, I hired out the cheapest car I could find a nissan almera 1.2L for £138 (5 days), which is what I would expect to pay to hire a car in the UK.

I'm planning a trip to malaga soon and want to explore southern spain by car and I'm looking at car hire prices. I'm quite surprised to find out how cheap car hire in malaga is. A vw polo for 5 days is just £38.

I dont even know how they make money to even pay depreciation on their vehicles at these prices.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    As per other posts, i'd be very surprised if there wasnt quite a few "mandatory" charges when you go to pick the car up and punitive charges for fuel and damage.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 10th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    Why does it matter what hold they put on your account if your using a credit card?
    Originally posted by takman
    That would depend on the available credit on your card and how much you would need it for other things. If you don't have much credit available on the card it's obviously a bigger issue than if you have plenty of head room.
    • rdr
    • By rdr 10th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    rdr
    As per other posts, i'd be very surprised if there wasnt quite a few "mandatory" charges when you go to pick the car up and punitive charges for fuel and damage.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Look out for full to empty fuel policies, when they give you a very economical car, with a huge fuel tank and charge you an inflated rate for the fuel in the tank.
    • takman
    • By takman 10th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    takman
    That would depend on the available credit on your card and how much you would need it for other things. If you don't have much credit available on the card it's obviously a bigger issue than if you have plenty of head room.
    Originally posted by mgfvvc
    Yes i understand that but most holidays abroad are planned at least a few months ahead so this gives you time to make sure you have enough credit available. So this may mean applying for a limit increase or applying for another card.

Even if you can't get a higher limit then considering that it can cost upwards of £18 a day for insurance that guarantees no excess then the other spending you planned on the card will become a much lower priority.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 10th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    loskie
    I hired a Polo in Vigo in September from Keddy by Europcar. Booked it on the Edinburgh airport official website which took me to a company called Rentalcars.com or similar.
    I was worried like you but all was fine. I booked the smallest group car but given a 5 door 1.2 Polo which was fine.
    Pick up and drop off was all fine. Cost was £80.57 for 7 days. I purchased XS cover elsewhere for around £15. No problem at pick up or drop off.
    Car hire is usually cheap in Spain and Portugal.
    • By 1886 10th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    I've used Malaga car and had no complaints. It was about five years ago so I can't remember much including the price. I do remember they picked us up from the airport and drove us the short drive to their location and then when we returned the car they took us back to the airport

I remember they weren't interested in checking the car when I returned it, it's a very busy little place. As always make sure you check the car before you take it and that any damages are noted by them

If you're visiting southern Spain try and stop off at Tarifa, it's a lovely little place. I've stayed there three times and will go back soon. Cadiz is also nice
    • teamgb
    • By teamgb 10th Jan 18, 11:03 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    teamgb
    I have booked a Seat Leon type car with Gold Car for 19days for this month at Alicante, return full/full. Total cost £24. They will hold 1400 euros on my CC. I have an annual car hire excess insurance cover. Last year I hired cars with them 5 times and paid less then £50 each time, sometimes returning empty, without a problem.

If returning empty they will make a refuel charge (about £20) and sting you on the cost per litre but they do refund for unused fuel. Its the overall cost that matters to me.

They will always try to sell me extra insurance and you need to be firm when saying no thank you.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 13th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    JP1978
    I have hired a car in the UK for a day and half for £7.80 before. And I got 10% TopCashBack on that too :-)

They do make up their money on insurance products and often 'force' it on people whom dont read the T&C's.

When I was getting my last car there was a (UK Couple I think) collecting a car but they didnt have enough on their credit card for the £400 deposit. They could only pay £150, so the hire company said their policy was for them to take out the additional insurance at £24 a day.

To be fair though, believe that all UK companies have a similar policy when you cant leave a deposit.

Also, most people who i see at the counter hire through rentalcars.com and not direct and so they are limited to 90 miles a day - with a £6 per day charge to go over.... hire direct, unlimited miles.

Its all in the T&C's.... and hardly anyone reads them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,767Users online

Martin's Twitter