Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 9th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 39,997Posts
    • 6,294,546Thanks
    One-Eye
    Wait 60 seconds between posts - it's a PITA
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    Wait 60 seconds between posts - it's a PITA 9th Jan 18 at 11:23 AM
    The time you have to wait after posting before you can post again has been increased from 30 seconds to 60 seconds.

Please tell me this is a temporary measure due to recent SPAM, and if it is, can it be reset as soon as the problem diminishes.

Can I repeat an old suggestion that users with 'x' thousand posts or with 'y' stars are allowed a lower wait time.

In case anybody is wondering why this matters so much, on "Competitions Time" there is often a sequence of competitions to post where there is so much commonality that the best way to do it is to create all the new posts concurrently in separate tabs, leaving just "Submit New Thread" to be clicked. Having to wait 60 seconds between each is a real pain. An example is the 17 Bauer Radio comps, each typically worth £2000 that get posted each Thursday.
Page 1
    • fermi
    • By fermi 9th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 39,358 Posts
    • 47,216 Thanks
    fermi
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    Can I repeat an old suggestion that users with 'x' thousand posts or with 'y' stars are allowed a lower wait time.
    Originally posted by One-Eye
    It's a global setting. The only exemption in vBulletin is for admins/mods. There is no option to set it for other usergroups.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • thingamaBob
    • By thingamaBob 9th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 13,243 Posts
    • 843,155 Thanks
    thingamaBob
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    It's a global setting. The only exemption in vBulletin is for admins/mods. There is no option to set it for other usergroups.
    Originally posted by fermi
    ...but it's a real pain in the **** for comp posters with a series of posts to make and I don't think it will make much difference to dedicated spammers. Their spam posts will just get spread out making it harder to notice them and to bulk delete them. Surely it would be more effective if it could be applied to a group, like adding it to the bar on newbies posting links.
    Bob

An inch of time is an inch of gold, but you cannot buy that inch of time with an inch of gold.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 9th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 2,816 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    Feel free to recode vBulletin to do that. I'm sure people will thank you.

It's a real pain for all forum users to have to wade through the current flood of spam that is appearing and if the changes have a positive effect on reduction then I'm all for it.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 9th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 11,823 Posts
    • 15,620 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    60 seconds between posts isn't a problem for a spammer using Robotic Process Automation (RPA) software: I should know, I used to build legitimate stuff with it in my previous role to automate business processes that were manually intensive.

You build it once, effectively teaching the RPA tool how to drive the website, and run it on a machine - some of them even allow you to run your processes on virtual machines as well as real ones.

And all of the RPA tools I've seen have the facility to build in delays/wait period.
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

Married to an immigrant.

Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 15th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 8,876 Posts
    • 21,279 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

We've changed it back to 30 seconds.

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 15th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 1,339 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    Do the multiple spammers get stripped of their badges ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 18th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 90,350 Posts
    • 57,134 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 18th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    It seems to be back to 60 seconds again.

For those of us who are qualified typists and experienced computer users, that is too long.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

2,210Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin