Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Mgman1965
    • By Mgman1965 9th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 97Posts
    • 97Thanks
    Country living, yes or no ?
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    Country living, yes or no ? 9th Jan 18 at 11:13 AM
    I'm in my early 50's and always lived in towns or 5here immediate vicinity.

Having holidayed in rural cottages and an avid viewer of escape to the country type programmes on TV have been looking online at rural houses for sale fairly local to me.

Problem is, OH is not seeming as keen and says these programmes are always filmed in the summer when it warm and sunny, never when it's biting cold, blowing a gale, been raining for a week and a sea of mud or a foot of snow and ice with untreated roads for miles and the no mains sewer or gas for the heating.

Also she says, no popping to the supermarket or takeaway if you fancy a kebab/fish and chips and would practically need two cars at least one a decent 4×4.

I (she says) I see only what they want you to see, the hot sunny summer days sitting outside on the fresh cut lawn, not the Sept to May times.

Is she right or trying to put me off.
Page 2
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 24,550 Posts
    • 91,462 Thanks
    My other worry is my budget, what I'd get for my nice, decent size 3 bed 1930's semi with off-road parking anf garage in town it seems will only get me a small 2 bed cottage with a small garden in a nice unspoilt village.
    Originally posted by Mgman1965
    Depends on the choice of country location, surely? Surrey villages aren't like Mid Devon villages, for example.

We swapped our semi in town for a property with 5+ acres and outbuildings and we still had over £100k left to do it up. It's better than the town house was by a mile.

But we wanted to plant trees, make a big garden, look after sheep and hens, do building work etc etc, so we never had the OP's difficulty in deciding what to do. It would have been a different matter if we'd wanted lots of holidays and easy access to shopping etc.

We wouldn't have missed the life we've had in the country since moving to it on retirement, but I'd say it was because our objectives were clear. Life in town was easier, especially when we had children to cater for. Also it wasn't entirely an either/or situation for us, since our city house was only minutes by car from open fields and an easy stroll through the park from the theatre, restaurants etc.

Not all 'town' places are equal, and neither are 'country' ones. We think we're pretty wild and woolly here, but compared with the Highlands of Scotland....
    Last edited by Davesnave; 09-01-2018 at 1:31 PM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 9th Jan 18, 1:34 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Forgot to say that we also have a septic tank and oil heating.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 9th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 6,356 Posts
    • 8,189 Thanks
    It depends *how* rural you want to be. There are plenty of houses in the country which have mains drainage, gas etc.

My parents don't have mains gas, they have a oil tank for heating and bottled gas for cooking, and manage perfectly well.

You might find that living in (or on the edge of) a village or small town would give you the best of both worlds.

I live on the edge of a rural village - fields in front of my house, lot if lovely walks in the vicinity etc. a 10 minute walk gets me to our village shop and post office, and there are 2 pubs in the village, bith of which are close enough to walk to (and far enough that you feel you've earned your pint!)

When it snows. our lane can be interesting but that was true when I lived on a large housing estate which wasn't a priority for gritting.

I do have to drive if I want to shop any where other than the village shop, or to go to the cinema or theatre.

I have wonderful neighbours, and there is a pleasant, friendly community in the village.

Broadband isn't as fast as I was used to before, but it is now adequate.

Buses run twice an hour to the local small town, and once an hour to the nearest big town. There is a (comparatively) main road which runs through the village - it's far enough away from my house that you can't hear the traffic but it means that there is a petrol station/MoT centre.

As well as the post office, shop and 2 pubs we have a GP surgery, the sports club and playing fields, and a cafe at the church.

So I think it is worth you discussing it further with your OH and perhaps considering a compromise - living in or near a village could give you a lot of what you want without losing the things your OH values.

Unless you moved somewhere truly isolated you wouldn't *need* a 4x4. (I managed just fine in my Smart car for years!) although a car each would probably be a good thing.

However, if neither of you has ever lived in the country I would suggest that you consider at the very least, a long holiday in winter, or a short term renal, before committing, so you can get a feel for how the reality matches up to your hopes.
    • Mgman1965
    • By Mgman1965 9th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Same here, we sold our mid terrace 2up2 down heavily mortgaged house for a five bedroom, 3 bath, 3 receptions in a 1/3 acre with a tiny mortgage which was paid off in 5 years
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Which is great if you live in London, Bristol or some sought after town/city on the south coast, but if your selling oop north it's the absolute opposite, with the likes of Londoners who have sold their 1 bed Mayfair flat they bought 30yrs ago for a few thousand for £500,000 +, now gentrifying (not a word I like really) nice villages and rural houses and generally pricing all others out.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 9th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    I wouldn't want to be living somewhere rural as I got older - unless self-driving cars arrive PDQ it would be very isolating when driving isn't an option and people are increasingly spending a long period towards the end of their lives unable to drive. I'd much rather have access to shops, GP, hospital etc. But that's just me, I am very much a city girl at heart anyway - while I love visiting the country, I wouldn't want to live there.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 9th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 13,100 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Interesting how many people mention takeaways as something they'd miss in a rural area. I live in South London and am surrounded by takeaway outlets; never use them.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 9th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Country living? YES! YES! YES!
    Tranquility, beauty, very few neighbours, and the neighbours are lovely, more land / bigger garden, great views, a semi pet pheasant who visits daily etc etc etc
    BUT - if tranquility is important to you, check out flight paths, and any proposed changes that might be coming. There are enormous changes being made around many UK airports - and the impact is being felt 20 miles plus away. The noise can be considerable, we went from no planes to over 70 a day from 6am to midnight and they want to increase it further. Hellish.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 9th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 4,578 Thanks
    I'd also vote for going for best of both worlds.

I live in a semi rural ish area, but am still within the M25. If you walked out my front door, you'd walk two miles before you hit another building, but yes there are lots of houses around me. Just also lots of countryside.

There are takeaways, but rarely use them. If I need to go to "town," it's driving or training it.

I like it. For someone truly in the country, I'm in the city to them, but to someone from the city, I live in the middle of nowhere!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - £180,813.85
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 16,912 Posts
    • 15,209 Thanks
    BUT - if tranquility is important to you, check out flight paths, and any proposed changes that might be coming. There are enormous changes being made around many UK airports - and the impact is being felt 20 miles plus away. The noise can be considerable, we went from no planes to over 70 a day from 6am to midnight and they want to increase it further. Hellish.
    Originally posted by pinklady21
    I've previously lived in the corner of M4/M25 diagonally opposite Heathrow, and at the end of Luton runway. You get used to planes quickly - but, like so many things, if you're outraged at them, you won't.

Where we used to live was just under the Heathrow holding pattern - no issue at all - but somebody got up a petition to get the little light airfield nearby closed down, fertheloveofgawd, because they got a bee in their bonnet about the odd Cessna!

Where we are now, we fairly often get the RAF's fast jets through the loft, together with the odd "Don't ask, you didn't see anything" military freighter.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 9th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 3,531 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    The country is nice to visit. But I don't know how people manage once they are no longer able to drive. And what happens if the local community aren't keen on incomers, or are just plain boring/bonkers/nasty? A friend moved to a sweet little village - 10 years later they are on the verge of being accepted. Their children had to be chauffeured everywhere, now as young adults they need transport of their own. It's pretty clear that the lack of public transport means that most locals take very little notice of drink driving restrictions.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 9th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 7,356 Posts
    • 10,455 Thanks
    Another thing to think about might be the distance to the nearest hospital and how long would it take an ambulance to get you there, should you need it. Also how far is the nearest GP's surgery/dentist/vet if applicable.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Out of hours care too can mean travelling a considerable distance when living rurally.

If for some reason you or partner couldn't drive, how would you get there? I know a village with literally 1 taxi firm/ 2drivers. You can call a bigger firm in one of nearby towns but it'd take minimum 25 mins and cost a small fortune.
    Last edited by KxMx; 09-01-2018 at 3:22 PM.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 9th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    I was put off living in a village years ago when my children were small babies. I found it very isolating, and had nowhere much to push a pram. Thirty years later, I occasionally like the thought of living in one again, as many are so beautiful, but I’ve decided I’m a bit of a townie. We live on the edge of a smallish town, with great transport links (45 minutes by train to London where one son lives) 35 minutes to the airport, and I can walk to our nearest supermarket. Easy access to lovely Warwickshire and Northamptonshire countryside as well. Best of both worlds for me. However, when I watch “Escape to the Country”, I do sometimes think “aaah, doesn’t it look lovely” but then I get real.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Jan 18, 3:27 PM
    • 24,550 Posts
    • 91,462 Thanks
    Another thing to think about might be the distance to the nearest hospital and how long would it take an ambulance to get you there, should you need it. Also how far is the nearest GP's surgery/dentist/vet if applicable.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Like a lot of things people are mentioning, sweet spots exist for those who do their geography homework. The problem is that many folks looking for country places focus on Rightmove and holiday brochures, but don't drill down into the stuff that matters most day to day, and to them.

For example, although we are very rural here, we're not far from the small hub that serves this 25 mile wide area, so doctors, dentists and first response ambulance are all very close, as are trains and buses. Butcher, baker etc are all to hand as well, just not supermarkets, B&Q or take-aways.

Yes, the hospitals are a 25 - 30 mile stretch, but this is the 21st century, so we are 4 minutes flying time from the Air Ambulance. Indeed, locals are currently raising money for night time landing lights, so the service can be 24/7. We also have a hospital car service for all the elderly and non-drivers with ordinary appointments.

In any sparsely populated area there will be places which have few, if any, services that might be important to individuals. There will also be lively and relatively 'dead' villages they might buy in. Finding the info is hard, so the suggestion to take winter breaks in the chosen location is a great one. We did it......just in the wrong place!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • vics 1982
    • By vics 1982 9th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    vics 1982
    We live on the outskirts of the village which is around 15 miles from the nearest big town and we love it.

We have never been city / big village folk though to be fair and are always outside. Yes oil can be expensive but buy it in the summer when prices are low. So what if the electric goes out, its not too often and you work round it, worst case, get a generator.

My partner is a farrier so has always been outside with work and i work at a port so travel 30 miles to work each day.

My children go to the village school which has a total of 42 children in it, each child is very well behaved and they get fabulous teaching!

We are lucky that we have four acres and my horses at home so we look out to our field and them.

We can walk for miles and miles in fresh air. Granted, we dont get any takeaways that deliver but its 15 mins to a small village to get kebab, Chinese or fish and chips.

You do have to be organised as its a bit of a faff to pop and get some milk if you run out but once you are sorted its the best.

I would never change it!!
    Sainsbury CC - £1597.25 0% 18 mths left £37.57 Per month DD

Savings Goals 6500K / 10000K
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 9th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    We live in a very small market town, and have the countryside on our door step, we have a post office, butchers and over the last 10 years have added a tesco extra so we can get milk/bread etc otherwise yes we need cars (unless you want to rely on buses :/

Dentists are 20 mins away, but hospital is around 30-40 mins but never caused us any problems - i do think any more rural would feel a bit isolating for me personally though's a very personal choice and something you probably wont ever know until you do it :/
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Another vote for being on the edge of a town. We looked at moving to a more rural location in Kent (we live in a large town in Kent at the moment) and on house prices, we'd bank about £30k for like-for-like houses due to the rural location being further from London. However, when we looked at schools, jobs, sports clubs, shopping and other weekly activities, it worked out that both of us would be spending about 10 hours extra every week driving around. That made it an easy decision and we stayed put.
    • Mgman1965
    • By Mgman1965 9th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Watched a ETTC yesterday and one couple on there bought a very rural house and they revisited them 2yrs later and they seemed happy there, but the guy still worked in London, and said his commute was 3hrs each way by car and train !!!!!!

That's a potential 14hr working day, not allowing for road/ train delays and the weather. Not for me I'm afraid. He must be on mega money to put up with that, I'd need to be !!!!
    Last edited by Mgman1965; 09-01-2018 at 4:56 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 15,099 Posts
    • 42,014 Thanks
    You can "faux test" it .... starting today you can ban yourselves from using any shops/services within a 5-6 mile radius - forcing yourself EVERY time to access what's in another town.

Not allowed to "pop out to" any of your local services/shops... nor even to "take a stroll round town" without having to go to another place.

Find somewhere 5-6 miles away and say "pretend that's our nearest place" .... see how long you last.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Sounds like a very logical suggestion to me - and I've moved from a city to a semi-rural area.

So - nope it's not an easy walk to a choice of hospitals. It's a "drive you up the wall backwards" long windy bus journey to a hospital and the same back again and BTW the buses are a lot less frequent anyway.

Social life will be more "scattered" - where you are for "this", next town for "that", nearby village for "t'other". It's more likely to be a patchwork quilt of transport to here/there/everywhere - rather than walk to everything and "plenty more choice" than you actually need yourself.

Tradespeople - you may be used to having high standards/tradespeople being reliable. Restaurants/cafes having lots of choice/pretty high standards BECAUSE they all know you can "drop them like a shot" and there's plenty more choice where they came from. So you do "drop", then "drop", then "drop" and carry on "dropping" however many times you have to. But you don't have to "drop" nearly as much - because they all know you can and will. If you're in a smaller area - there is a LOT of pressure to "use someone local" and then a lot of pressure to "put up and shut up" if they're not right.

Some moves will result in the weather impacting a lot more on you than you're used to. It's a shock to move from "never taking the weather into account in the slightest" to "forever taking the weather into account - and then still forgetting hat/gloves/etc most of the time when you go out - because you're not used to it".

There are plus sides - a comment from someone in my home area today about how many people I know I bump into in the street when I go out. Well - I do bump into a noticeable number of "people I know" when I go out - but you don't have to "know anyone" anyway before you go out and about. Chances are that you'll have had quite a few conversations - quite possibly including really long "meaning of life" type ones with total strangers by the time you get back inside your front door anyway. Because that's how things are here...

The clean air is a plus side - to someone like myself that hates traffic fumes - because I dont have a car myself and therefore really resent breathing in said fumes.

A plus side is realising that even delivery people ('ll see them a lot - with the amount of goods you have to buy online if you move more rurally) are "keeping an eye out for you".
    Never give up on a dream...
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 9th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 6,871 Thanks
    This is a very interesting topic.

I live within the boundary of the city. However I bought it 30 years ago for the open spaces around and the views to the mountains. There are 5 big parks within walking distance, beautiful spaces, each a little different from the other with different facilities, or none! Twenty minutes drive or bus up to the foothills of those mountains and similar to the sea. I am not overlooked and the neighbours touch wood are very nice too.

The tram is five minutes away to get into the city in fifteen minutes, buses too going anywhere and everywhere around. Well all the facilities you need on your doorstep. I am seriously considering getting rid of the car, but NOOOOOOT yet!

Anyway I love the countryside, but like everything else when it becomes your "normal" the gloss may wear off.

I think it really depends on your outlook. If you are very used to living in a town/city or the outskirts with everything handy, it could be a huge culture shock to move to the country.

It is not for me anyway. Lovely to visit though, but great to get back too!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 10,763 Posts
    • 28,138 Thanks
    Adrian, where's these trees that you can just convert into logs?

I only have a few fruit trees and I think the farmers and the forestry commission might take umbridge if I went steeling theirs

Yes there is LPG, but a you are tied into a contract where they can put the price up at whim, where as with oil, I can shop around and b, going to need a bloomin big hole dug in my garden to sink the tank

Yes BB in rural areas is hot news, just someone please put a rocket up open reaches bums to get them shifted. I'm lucky, a new box was put in a mile down the road. My friend 2 miles further up the road is still on 512
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,596Posts Today

7,184Users online

Martin's Twitter