Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crooton
    • By Crooton 9th Jan 18, 10:44 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Crooton
    Smart Meters when move supplier
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:44 AM
    Smart Meters when move supplier 9th Jan 18 at 10:44 AM
    Hello,

Can anyone tell me what happens with a smart meter when you change supplier? The feedback I have seen is that moving supplier makes your smart meter redundant. It becomes a standard meter. This seems bizare if the purpose is money saving. Smart meter to save money, move provider to save money, smart meter no longer works. Can anyone clarify this please?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    You have heard correctly - it will become dumb.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 4,789 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hello,

Can anyone tell me what happens with a smart meter when you change supplier? The feedback I have seen is that moving supplier makes your smart meter redundant. It becomes a standard meter. This seems bizare if the purpose is money saving. Smart meter to save money, move provider to save money, smart meter no longer works. Can anyone clarify this please?
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by Crooton
    Hi - welcome to the forum. Many years ago, the Government decided that the first rollout of smart meters would be supplier dependent to allow suppliers time to test/trial new IT systems. The latest generation of smart meters, SMETS2, which will rollout increasingly from the end of this year will connect to a central data hub. The Government has directed the owners of the central hub to find a way of adopting meters such as yours. If this is not possible, then your meter will be deemed a stranded asset and replaced. If you switch suppliers, you may have to read it manually.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 9th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    Hello,

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Crooton
    only thing that saves money is using less fuel and/or getting on the cheapest tariffs
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 9th Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 666 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    It depends what type. Generally, smart electricity meter technology is more standardised and therefore is more likely to transfer through suppliers with less problems.

Gas on the other hand is less so.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 9th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    Secure Liberty meters, used by Ovo,Utilita, First Utility and now Eon, may have to be exchanged.
    The rest seem to be OK with most suppliers except that lot who bought the cut price jobs from India to save money.
    As a meter reader I see many dumb smart meters when people switch supplier.Even Secure meters are OK if they stay in credit mode, after all a meter is a meter. When Secure Liberty meters are in prepayment mode suppliers cannot process the auto top-ups other than those few renegades who went cut-price
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter