Self employed employees being charged by business if customers pay by card!

Is it legal for a business to cross charge the card fee to the employees now the new legislation is in play. I understand that not being able to charge the customer for using a card will impact the business, however I don't see how it is right that this charge should be passed to the workers?
Thank you for any advice

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,969
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What is a self-employed employee?

What charges are being passed on to you, for what?
  • My husband drives a taxi firms minibus. He is classed as self employed. He has a percentage of money for every job they give him. All drivers received a message yesterday to inform them that if a customer pays by card that 2% of the payment will be taken from the drivers earnings and not the business.
    Hope this makes sense.
    Thank you
  • BoGoF
    Forumite
    Did the company previously charge the customer if they paid by card?
  • Yes they did charge the customer.
  • BoGoF
    Forumite
    Problem is your husband is self employed and this gives less rights that an employee. The people he works for can change their policies, if he doesnt like it he will need to look for a new job.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,696
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would have a quiet word with the taxi licencing office ;)
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I can't see you husband having much recourse, unfortunately.

The firm pay their drivers with reference to the profit they earn. Card paying customers are now 2% less profitable.

Unless he has underlying contract with them that prevents this, there's not much he can do. If he does have such a contract, they could terminate it under its terms if they so chose...
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If your husband wants employee rights then he needs to find work where he is employed rather than self-employed.
  • Thank you all for your advice, this seams bonkers that it is legal to me. The drivers don't pick and choose what jobs they do they go wherever allocated. I do agree that they should increase fares to compensate. I just hope this kind of act doesn't filter to other businesses. Can you imagine paying for your weekly shop on card and the till assistance then having his/hers wages cut so the company can pay the bank fees!!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Trying to think if thats the same and I don't think it is.

If your husband was the shopkeeper then i think that is more appropriate.

If your husband took the bookings himself and only worked for himself he would be charged by his payment provider.

Is it a common thing in his line of work? Are other companies starting to pass the costs down the line?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure