Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 9th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    • 197Posts
    • 75Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Flying Ryanair? It's about to change its hand luggage rules
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Flying Ryanair? It's about to change its hand luggage rules 9th Jan 18 at 9:00 AM
    Ryanair is to cut its hand luggage allowance from next week - here's what you need to know...
    Read the full story:
    'Flying Ryanair? It's about to change its hand luggage rules'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 10th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 12,564 Posts
    • 10,661 Thanks
    zagfles
    The "small bag" size is ridiculously small - 35x20x20cm!! On short trips I usually take a 40x30x20cm bag and that easily fits under the seat in front. Never been taken off me to put in the hold on any budget airline.

On their website they say "Your small bag (e.g. handbag, laptop etc.) must not exceed 35x20x20cm and should easily fit under the seat in front of you." Unless you've got a tiny laptop it'll exceed those dimensions, are they really going to force people to put their laptops in the hold??

I can see this coat becoming popular https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2868327/incredible-airport-coat-can-store-15kg-of-luggage-to-beat-ryanair-and-easyjet-carry-on-fees/
    • blaggrr
    • By blaggrr 10th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    blaggrr
    The "small bag" size is ridiculously small - 35x20x20cm!! On short trips I usually take a 40x30x20cm bag and that easily fits under the seat in front. Never been taken off me to put in the hold on any budget airline.

On their website they say "Your small bag (e.g. handbag, laptop etc.) must not exceed 35x20x20cm and should easily fit under the seat in front of you." Unless you've got a tiny laptop it'll exceed those dimensions, are they really going to force people to put their laptops in the hold?? ...
    Originally posted by zagfles
    On their website they show a laptop in their small bag-sizer frame which appears to exceed the dimensions of the sizer - but nevertheless their man is giving it the thumbs up ...
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 10th Jan 18, 10:24 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 6,836 Thanks
    melanzana
    Hand/laptop bags that can fit under your seat in front are not an issue, except for room for your own feet!

It is the overheads they are thinking about.

And it's about time too. Some (many) were taking the absolute xx with their humungous cases.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 11th Jan 18, 8:03 AM
    • 774 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    The "small bag" size is ridiculously small - 35x20x20cm!!
    Why? How much do you need for a single flight? Book? Medicine? MP3 player? Headphones?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 7,540 Posts
    • 9,432 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Why? How much do you need for a single flight? Book? Medicine? MP3 player? Headphones?
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    A "f*** off with you scratch cards and overpriced duty free" sign is also an essential.
    • ic
    • By ic 11th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    ic
    Just checked some upcoming bookings I have and as I booked extra leg room seats which came with priority, I also have the "& 2 cabin bags" too.

Trying to make a new booking shows the seats don't come with priority any more, so the cost has increased by £5 per person. I note the option to add "priority & 2 cabin bags" suggests there is limited availability - so perhaps they're limiting to 90 per flight to ensure everybody can bring their large bag on board?
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 11th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 12,564 Posts
    • 10,661 Thanks
    zagfles
    Hand/laptop bags that can fit under your seat in front are not an issue, except for room for your own feet!

It is the overheads they are thinking about.

And it's about time too. Some (many) were taking the absolute xx with their humungous cases.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    So why do they quote a size smaller than most laptops and far smaller than what would fit under the seat in front?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 11th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 12,564 Posts
    • 10,661 Thanks
    zagfles
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Try reading the rest of my post. You might be happy for baggage handlers to handle your laptop. I'm not.
    • Anjistar
    • By Anjistar 11th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Anjistar
    Does anyone know where you stand if you booked your tickets before the news of the changes?

I visit my father in the Canaries frequently and have things stashed there so only ever take a shoulder bag, but with my laptop inside it's not 35x20x20.

Because it wasn't a thing when I booked, I would now have to pay more for Priority than I would have if I'd bought it when I booked the tickets. Seems a tad unfair!
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 12th Jan 18, 7:50 AM
    • 5,660 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    They have only guaranteed the first 90 for ages, so at any time they could have insisted hand luggage goes in the hold.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 12th Jan 18, 7:54 AM
    • 5,660 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Nice to have P Baker back with the same moans.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Yes, the name may change but the unique writing style remains.
    The detail that went into "Peter Baker Investigates" was superb, and although I didnt always agree, I loved the quirky angle put on his opinions
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 12th Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    tastyhog
    convenient timing, just in time for the scrapping of card payment surcharges
    • frankennsteiny
    • By frankennsteiny 12th Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    frankennsteiny

On their website they say "Your small bag (e.g. handbag, laptop etc.) must not exceed 35x20x20cm and should easily fit under the seat in front of you." Unless you've got a tiny laptop it'll exceed those dimensions, are they really going to force people to put their laptops in the hold??

I can see this coat becoming popular ***.thesun.co.uk/news/2868327/incredible-airport-coat-can-store-15kg-of-luggage-to-beat-ryanair-and-easyjet-carry-on-fees/[/URL]
    MSE did a trial with a jacket a few years ago. A friend of mine got to try out one of the jackets and said that although a good idea walking around the airport with items like ipad etc in the pockets it really weighed her down and was so uncomfortable. Said it would be ok for things like towels and clothing items at a push but too bulky and and not for her.

Had to take out the www and replace with *** as not allowed to post links being a new user.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 12th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 12,564 Posts
    • 10,661 Thanks
    zagfles
    MSE did a trial with a jacket a few years ago. A friend of mine got to try out one of the jackets and said that although a good idea walking around the airport with items like ipad etc in the pockets it really weighed her down and was so uncomfortable. Said it would be ok for things like towels and clothing items at a push but too bulky and and not for her.

Had to take out the www and replace with *** as not allowed to post links being a new user.
    Originally posted by frankennsteiny
    I guess what's really needed is a "coat" that can convert into a bag, so you can carry it around like a bag most of the time and only "wear" it at the necessary moments
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,120Posts Today

8,565Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• Follow Martin