Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iceclay
    • By iceclay 8th Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    iceclay
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    8th Jan 18 at 11:53 PM
    hello i am writing here for advice on a issue for my dad.

he is a pensioner the rent was getting paid and council tax years ago he is 68 now
    at the age of 65 he got a pension payment of 27,000£ for his work previously with the city council also gets 270£a month still now.
    then at the age of 67 2 years later the money has gone he received lots of letters claiming he didn't declare it and wheres the money gone, they stopped paying his rent and council tax hes on 150£ a week it went to court and he won the case. now they pay half he pays half and he has to pay his full council tax, but he only ends up with 14£ each and every week they are taking out lots of different transactions now and he doesn't no why, ok maybe he should of declared it but it was 3 years ago , hes paying all kinds of old council tax bills and half his rent surely this cant be right 3-4 years later , he proved how the money went eventually and he has none left he is a 68 year old man on 150£ a week paying 135£ a week bills, please help me in this quest to be solved in some sort of fair manner???how long does this have to last , there chasing him from 1998 now claiming he owes 10000s they must have some sort of insight to he got 27,000£ it was onli 27 grand 4 years ago , now hes getting bill after bill after bill council tax rent old water bills ect, surely this has to end putting a 68year old man on 15£ a week and then once a month 270£ ??? any help???
    they just take it , what can he do he doesn't want to get evicted....
    inforcement letters, past in by hand letters balliff letters, AND conflicting letters liability orders all over the same bills , bills produced at the same time same dates different companies same debts!.... plz help

hello i am writing here for advice on a issue for my dad.

he is a pensioner the rent was getting paid and council tax years ago he is 68 now
    at the age of 65 he got a pension payment of 27,000£ for his work previously with the city council also gets 270£a month still now.
    then at the age of 67 2 years later the money has gone he received lots of letters claiming he didn't declare it and wheres the money gone, they stopped paying his rent and council tax hes on 150£ a week it went to court and he won the case. now they pay half he pays half and he has to pay his full council tax, but he only ends up with 14£ each and every week they are taking out lots of different transactions now and he doesn't no why, ok maybe he should of declared it but it was 3 years ago , hes paying all kinds of old council tax bills and half his rent surely this cant be right 3-4 years later , he proved how the money went eventually and he has none left he is a 68 year old man on 150£ a week paying 135£ a week bills, please help me in this quest to be solved in some sort of fair manner???how long does this have to last , there chasing him from 1998 now claiming he owes 10000s they must have some sort of insight to he got 27,000£ it was onli 27 grand 4 years ago , now hes getting bill after bill after bill council tax rent old water bills ect, surely this has to end putting a 68year old man on 15£ a week and then once a month 270£ ??? any help???
    they just take it , what can he do he doesn't want to get evicted....
    inforcement letters, past in by hand letters balliff letters, AND conflicting letters liability orders all over the same bills , bills produced at the same time same dates different companies same debts!.... plz help

Is this a wind up? I gave up reading before half way.

So where has the £27,000 gone, because with that he should not be claiming benefits to pay his rent and council tax. Or did he want to take that money and still expect other tax payers to pay for his rent and council tax because he his old. Did he not realise or simply did not know?

he didn't no u had to declare it then 2 years later they start all this, they did say prove where the money has gone and he did but hes now 68 on 15£ a week because of it and al kind of catch up conflicting bills hes been paying his rent now for years surely it has to end? surely either way when the money has gone even if he did declare it they start paying rent again, hes 68 now 69 this year wt do u want him to do liv on 15£ a week for the rest of his life because he made a error 4 years ago ?

Apologies for being mean earlier, I've seen this too many times where people think they are entitled to things they are not.

If he has been to court then he must have some professional help, like a debt counsellor or the Citizens Advise Bureau to help with the situation he is in now.

hes tried all that they just delay the problem and they keep taking it they cant really help , the cab r a charity for a reason and that's cos they can only do so much, the court case was for eviction and he won it that's all , hes been on 15£ a week for over a year , surely there has to be a limit for this and there trying to claim back to 1998 about huge debts it was 19 years ago!... would the osbusmund man would he have a case here basically hes on 0£ a week and they take it all

Hi there,

I didn't want to read and run but you need to be more clear about what the issue is.

Did your dad get a payout of 27k or is his pension pot 27k. Secondly how much does he owe in council tax in total?

Gaz

Seems to me the issue is unpaid council tax and water bills. Though it was difficult to work it out.

Sorry but its hard to believe anyone could go through all the proceedure of claiming benefits without knowing they had to declare £27,000.
    That aside, you began by saying he gets £270 a month, then £15 a week, then nothing.
    Contrary to popular opinion, the benefits system is set up to exclude as many people as possible, and they will leave you to starve - thats why we have food banks etc..
    If he has no dependents the over stretched CAB won't treat this as a priority
    You need to come clean and get your story straight.

Okay firstly you're going to have to write much more clearly if anyone is going to be able to help you. Its mostly nonsensical and I'm not trying to simply be rude.

What I sort of got is:

1. he didn't declare £27k. Savings upper limit is £16k for most benefits, so he was way over that. It doesn't matter how old he is, how long ago it was etc, he made a fraudulent declaration when he said he didn't have that, or failed to declare that he got that.

2. You say he 'won at court' but it still having to pay back, so I am assuming he won the right to a different payment plan.

Please write things a little more clearly if you need help, but if he overclaimed he will have to pay it back. You say £15 a week, and then his pension of £270. So he has £330 after 'bills' which doesn't seem a bad amount for food for a single man. What else comes out of this £330?

What about his State Pension which he's been receiving for the last 3/4 years ?

This reads as if he was in a tied property as part of his employment with the Council. This would stop when he retired and rent would need to be paid.

iceclay - I see you were on the Forum last July taking about your mental health issues.

I don't think you are the best person to help your dad - is there anyone else in the family who could ?

he did not declare the 27k, he won the right not to get evicted in court that's it, surely the santions cant last forever?
    now he has to pay most of the rent, he owes council tax thousands but its like they have been sold to multiple companies. The same debt
    car insuarance 80£ phone and net bill 50£ lecki is like 20£ a week gas 40£, hes basically left with nothing all the time , I just feel that just for a error years ago surely it cant mean he has nothing ever for the rest of his life ?

it was no tied property this theory is incorrect, his state pension is 150£ a week but hes left each week with 15£
    to claim the story also needs to be straight is also incorrect, he didn't declare it 4 years ago so now he has to live on 15£ a week for the rest of his life without any acceptance they take the money and still want more they claim he owes them from over 20 years ago, its just one big con really , maybe your right am not the best person to help him, he has his issues also and I believe they r just taking advantage of a well aged man, the cab aren't the best advice service and hold no help going forward on this issue like u basically stated. Is there some sort of legally binding thing that over so long u don't even owe them the money anymore, they r sending conflicting letters from different companies , how ever u wanna look at the city council, I believe am completely correct? but there not a bank and r taking advantage of a near 70 year old man, can any1 else help?

he did not declare the 27k, he won the right not to get evicted in court that's it, surely the santions cant last forever?
    now he has to pay most of the rent, he owes council tax thousands but its like they have been sold to multiple companies. The same debt
    car insuarance 80£ phone and net bill 50£ lecki is like 20£ a week gas 40£, hes basically left with nothing all the time , I just feel that just for a error years ago surely it cant mean he has nothing ever for the rest of his life ?
    Originally posted by iceclay
    Until he pays it back, of course he can.

His car insurance is very high. At his age he can get a free bus pass, so is the car worth having?

He’s not being ‘sanctioned’ he is being made to pay back he money he claimed when he wasn’t entitled. He is paying back a debt. That doesn’t just go away after a few years.

Well we need more details. What did the judgement find and how much was he forced to pay back?
    Regarding all the other bills well we need to know his SOA so that we can see if he can either get a better deal or reduce the expenditure.

This is the wrong board for the issue you have. Perhaps the Debt-Free Wannabe board would be more appropriate but I doubt that ANY internet forum could help with the situation you describe as they wouldn't have sight of the Court order, or of any of the letters your father is receiving.

However - your father's case has been to Court, the Court order applies regardless of his age. If the CAB are unable to help after looking at all the evidence presented to them, I don't think there is anywhere else to go.

Forgot to add, he had 27k 2 years ago.

Where has it gone in two years? He wasnt paying rent or council tax, so it wasnt on those expenses, which for many would be a big chunk of their wages.

Does he have anything to sell? Was any given as gifts to family which could be given back as he cannot afford it?

Sounds like he forgot to declare his £27K lump sum so received a lot of benefits, mainly council tax and rent, that he wasn't entitled to. He was lucky not to be prosecuted for benefit fraud, tbh. He now has to pay back the money he shouldn't have received in the first place.

they haven't sed about just paying back wt he wasn't entiled to there taking it forever as it stands, my dad has had his big toe amputated so he needs to drive.i will soon find out about the judgement exactly and let u no, wt ur saying about just paying back wts owed would that have been from when he got the money until a date where ur legally allowed to have so much ? pay that back if u no wt I mean ....
    Last edited by Westie983; 09-01-2018 at 8:25 PM.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 5,022 Posts
    • 10,190 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    they haven't sed about just paying back wt he wasn't entiled to there taking it forever as it stands, my dad has had his big toe amputated so he needs to drive.i will soon find out about the judgement exactly and let u no, wt ur saying about just paying back wts owed would that have been from when he got the money until a date where ur legally allowed to have so much ? pay that back if u no wt I mean ....
    If you want help you're really going to have to write things much more clearly. This is barely English.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    This is the wrong board for the issue you have. Perhaps the Debt-Free Wannabe board would be more appropriate.
    Originally posted by colsten
    iceclay has already post on the Debt free board and is getting similar replies
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 5,022 Posts
    • 10,190 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    IN a (huge) nutshell

He had 27,000 in the bank, plus an income of £270 a month, and was having full rent and council tax paid.

OP refuses to say what happened to this 27,000.

Benefits were paid and were not entitled to. Therefore they are no longer paying them/paying at a reduced rate to recoup overpayment

Court is to do with eviction, not payments according to his other thread.

So, unless OP states differently, father had life of riley, spent £27000 in 2 years (whilst having rent and council tax paid) hasnt got any money but will not give up his car with £80 a month insurance due to toe amputation (I mentioned free bus passes)

Unless he is able to write in a clearer way what he thinks (other than 'surely he shouldnt still have to pay it back, which, isnt gonna happen) I'm not sure what anyone else can say.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 9th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    I think the benefits board or the citizens advice debt board may be more appropriate places to post for help.
  • National Debtline
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    Hi iceclay

It sounds like there's a lot going on here and I think your dad needs to go through all his paperwork with someone who can work out what he owes, to who and for what periods. Face to face advice may be best in this situation, someone like the Citizens Advice Bureau.

There are a few points to make that might make things a little clearer for you. If your dad was overpaid housing benefit he will be expected to pay back the overpayment as well as cover his on going rent payments. It's most likely the housing benefit overpayment is being recovered by a deduction from his on going housing benefit claim.

If he's been overpaid council tax benefit he will be billed council tax for the periods of those overpayments. He will also be expected to pay his on going council tax bill. For the debts that have been passed to council tax bailiffs you need to know the bailiff cannot force entry unless they have been inside the property previously. It's best to keep doors locked and his car hidden.

If he is struggling with any current repayment plans he may be able to get these reduced. He may also be able to look at an insolvency option like bankruptcy, but remember debts considered fraudulent cannot be written off this way. One of the free debt advice agencies will be able to explain all of his options in more detail.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 9th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 3,958 Posts
    • 2,960 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    it was no tied property this theory is incorrect, his state pension is 150£ a week but hes left each week with 15£
    to claim the story also needs to be straight is also incorrect, he didn't declare it 4 years ago so now he has to live on 15£ a week for the rest of his life without any acceptance they take the money and still want more they claim he owes them from over 20 years ago, its just one big con really , maybe your right am not the best person to help him, he has his issues also and I believe they r just taking advantage of a well aged man, the cab aren't the best advice service and hold no help going forward on this issue like u basically stated. Is there some sort of legally binding thing that over so long u don't even owe them the money anymore, they r sending conflicting letters from different companies , how ever u wanna look at the city council, I believe am completely correct? but there not a bank and r taking advantage of a near 70 year old man, can any1 else help?

But you said 'for his work previously with the city council also gets 270£a month still now.'
    And I fail to see how they are taking advantage of him by claiming back money he has stolen. People have gone to jail for less.
    If people were allowed to steal from the benefit system without even having to pay it back, everybody would be doing it.
    Last edited by Glen Clark; 09-01-2018 at 7:45 PM.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 9th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 14,397 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    Im going to merge this thread with the one already started on the Debt Free Wannabe thread as I think thats the best place for the right support.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£0.00/£12,000 = 0.0%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £0.00/£800 = 0.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £0.00/£365 = 0.0%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £150.00/£1,000 = 15.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1,500)+-490/£2,000 = 50.50%

Total £150.00/£16,165 = 0.92%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 13,056 Posts
    • 12,366 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    Hi,

As said above, there’s a lot going on here, and it’s way above the remit of an Internet forum to sort this out.

Citizens advice is probably the best place to go with this, a face to face meeting with an advisor is what’s required, look up your local citizens advice centre and make him an appointment to see an advisor.

Your only going to get opinion here, when you actually need someone to go through this piece by piece.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 09-01-2018 at 9:33 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 10th Jan 18, 12:01 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    I've got a headache.
    End Sep 2016 End Dec 2017
    £8236.57 £0
    (Tesco 4.8%) £0pcm
    £6185.75 £0(Zopa 4.0%) £0pcm

£5344.50
    £2470.04 (Sainsburys 0% until 06/19) £140pcm
    £2000.00 £933.36 (Sister 0%) £133.33pcm

Total debt
    £19.766.82 £3403.40 Original DFD May 2019.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

349Posts Today

2,447Users online

Martin's Twitter