Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hellou
    • By Hellou 8th Jan 18, 11:21 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Hellou
    Viagogo
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:21 PM
    Viagogo 8th Jan 18 at 11:21 PM
    I searched up some tickets and Viagogo was the main result. There were messages flashing up saying the tickets were selling out quickly and there was a countdown to buy your tickets or they would no longer be available. There were all sorts of charges added and I was a bit panicky and completed the transaction. I had a confirmation email and it looked like the 2 seats weren't together. I contacted my bank and filled out a chargeback form. In the meantime, wrote to Viagogo saying it looked like seats weren't together and they wrote back and said they would be. I had an email with a link to download tickets but haven't done so. My bank did carry out a chargeback and the money is back in my account. Viagogo have sent an email asking for a reason for the chargeback and that they have a dedicated department that has 90 days to investigate. I have since discovered that ATG are the official ticket sellers for the venue. When I looked at ATG Terms and Conditions, I think it looks like the tickets would be potentially void and I could be classed as a trespasser and asked to leave. Do I need to respond to Viagogo? Can they try to take the money back again? Would be very grateful for any advice, Thanks
Page 1
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 8th Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    You should have "discovered" that ATG were the official sellers BEFORE shopping on viagogo.

That aside, this is going to be a tricky one:

- You have entered into a contract with viagogo* for 2x tickets.

- Your only real dispute (seats not being together) has been outright dismissed by viagogo with WRITTEN CONFIRMATION (you have to take it at face value and not assume that they are lying).

- You've been emailed the tickets, which sort of limits the re-sale value for them (what is stopping you from printing them out despite having the refund?)

I genuinely think that they should, and will, dispute the chargeback claim and have it reversed. Sorry if that isn't what you want to hear, but I'm failing to see what they've done wrong?**

*Or the person who offered the tickets for sale

**Except for not adhering to the venue/ATG with regards to the re-sale of tickets. That being said, viagogo's TS and Cs state "If buyers are refused entry to the venue as a result of invalid tickets we may refund the buyer at any time. Invalid tickets are defined as anything where buyers are refused entry". Sooo, despite what ATG said you were theoretically in safe hands RE: getting your money back (plus, they probably wouldn't refuse entry for you!).

So yea, I'd play it by ear but don't be surprised if the chargeback is reversed...
    • Hellou
    • By Hellou 9th Jan 18, 1:14 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Hellou
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:14 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:14 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I have looked at Viagogo's Guarantee and they guarantee valid tickets. I have written to them to let them know that the tickets are not transferable and therefore not valid. I have also asked them to let me know how to return them. They are selling aggressively, ie only 6 tickets left at the time of purchase and only 10 minutes to check out. When I checked their site just now, there are "only" 14 tickets left. I thought they were official, not reselling! I think I will contact Citizens Advice about this whatever the outcome as they can forward details on to Trading Standards.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 9th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    ! I think I will contact Citizens Advice about this whatever the outcome as they can forward details on to Trading Standards.
    Originally posted by Hellou
    Come again? You're the one in the wrong here, having failed to do any research before buying then breaching your contract with viagogo.

They offered you tickets for an event, you agreed to purchase them, they delivered them, you refused to pay.

Presumably you need to look at your tickets to see what seats you've been allocated, why haven't you done this?

A chargeback doesn't void the contract, viagogo can still pursue you through the courts for the money they're owed even if they're not successful in disputing the chargeback.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 19,140 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    I have written to them to let them know that the tickets are not transferable and therefore not valid.
    What makes you think non-transferable tickets are not valid? Tickets for pretty much every major event are non-transferrable.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 9th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 378 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I have looked at Viagogo's Guarantee and they guarantee valid tickets.
    Umm, did you not read the bit I quoted from their Ts and Cs?

"If buyers are refused entry to the venue as a result of invalid tickets we may refund the buyer at any time. Invalid tickets are defined as anything where buyers are refused entry"

Not quite a guarantee mind you, but they do seem to give consideration towards situations whereby buyers are refused entry.

I have written to them to let them know that the tickets are not transferable and therefore not valid.
    Fair enough, it may help for future buyers/sellers.

But don't expect them to do much, they make their money from re-selling tickets and they aren't going to stop this unless they get some major backlash (petitions, government pressure etc). They'll also place the blame on the seller who lists the tickets, who should be aware of any re-sale rules.

I have also asked them to let me know how to return them.
    Pretty hard to return tickets which have been emailed and can be printed out....

They are selling aggressively, ie only 6 tickets left at the time of purchase and only 10 minutes to check out.
    Indeed, it can be seen that way but another take on it:

- Maybe they DID have only 6 tickets left (not everyone re-sells their tickets, so the quantity available at a given time will be fairly low).

- Maybe the 10 minutes on the clock reflected the time in which your tickets were reserved. Many companies do this to make sure that nobody buys your tickets within that 10 minute timeframe. Pretty generous to be honest.

When I checked their site just now, there are "only" 14 tickets left.
    Sounds like more people have listed their tickets for re-sale.

I thought they were official, not reselling! I think I will contact Citizens Advice about this whatever the outcome as they can forward details on to Trading Standards.
    Good luck. Don't expect TS to do much. That being said, they will probably be fully aware of viagogo already (they've had the spotlight pointed on them a few times in the past) and be investigating it on a larger scale than your case (refusal to pay).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

329Posts Today

4,119Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin