Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 8th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2,826Posts
    • 460Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Battery drain - car with radio on, ignition on & off. New radio wiring
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    Battery drain - car with radio on, ignition on & off. New radio wiring 8th Jan 18 at 9:14 PM
    Last week my wife had a new head unit fitted in her car.

Before this was done she had the standard unit that came with the car. She likes to get to work early (in order to guarantee a parking spot) and then sits there for 45mins listening to the radio etc before going in to work. She could do this with the ignition off.

First day at work today after having the new unit fitted. Turns the ignition off as per usual but the head unit powered off also.
    She needed to have the ignition on - so all the dash was lit up too, the blowers were on (turned them off) and the dash cam then powers up and starts recording also.

Main question here is why it's doing this and can it be changed back (with the new head unit)?

Secondary question is does having the ignition on drain the battery a lot more? Let's say the blowers remain off but the dash cam will now be running as well as the dash lights being on. The dash cam itself could be powered off but that's all a bit faffy powering it on & off all the time.

Page 2
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 10th Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    He never said that it couldn't be done but he seemed to be suggesting that with this canbus system on that car things can start going wrong when you're messing around too much with it. He certainly left me with the impression that it's best left as it is before a can of worms is opened up.
    Its had the desired effect as far as he is concerned
    you've gone away
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 11th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    Sadly it does sound like the installer has batted you away.

They should be able to fix it easily. In any case I expect the CANBUS only carries the steering remote control, the power will be separate.
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 11th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    They should be able to fix it easily. In any case I expect the CANBUS only carries the steering remote control, the power will be separate.
    Originally posted by jbainbridge

The power feed will be separate, but some OEM stereos have a connection to the CANBUS circuit to control that power feed, which cannot be used by after-market stereos for the same purpose.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 17,701 Posts
    • 11,966 Thanks
    molerat
    Getting it to work as the original is not going to happen, the original fit used the CANBUS signal to tell the radio to use the permanent 12v to stay on until it told it otherwise and aftermarkets don't have that facility. The Astra generally picks up the switched supply from the cig lighter connection and over the years it seems that may vary as to when it is switched on / off - ignition, aux or when the key is removed.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Step back and consider the function of the original system. The car has a facility to allow it to send power to the radio and that radio will switch off after say 40 minutes if the ignition is off, but can be switched on again, and will be switched off when the ignition is switched off and switched on when the ignition is switched on. It is quite a common feature.

The original radio either:
    1) Has a method of detecting accessory feed is live and has a live feed as well.
    2) Accepts a signal from the car network (e.g. CANBUS) and is controlled by that.
    3) Does not control the power, the car controls the power.

I don't think it sounds like no. 3.

If the replacement radio has a feature to work with accessory power off or with CANBUS, then it would be documented in the installation instructions.

The choice appears to be that the installer has not installed a compatible radio correctly, the radio is not compatible with the car and another model would support the CANBUS, or there is a way to set up the radio buried in the instructions.

I would certainly check out the installation instructions and the operating instructions to see what power options there are.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 11th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Getting it to work as the original is not going to happen.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Well all i can say to this is that you (everyone who's posted on this thread) can't ALL be right then. Not possible if some of you are saying this and some are saying that. So some of you must be wrong.

Which ones, who knows. I don't.

• IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 12th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Well all i can say to this is that you (everyone who's posted on this thread) can't ALL be right then. Not possible if some of you are saying this and some are saying that. So some of you must be wrong.

Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver

Having gone back and spotted your info in the thread, eBay has a shed load of compatible radios for the Astra H. Your model is not Canbus ready. Alpine themselves sell Canbus adapters. There will be third party adapters.

I am sure your radio can be made to work as you wish. Whether you want to pay the money to get that to happen is another matter.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 17,701 Posts
    • 11,966 Thanks
    molerat

OK, as the above post, Getting it to work as the original is not going to happen without additional expense, is £60 - £100 worth what it will do.

Have you answered about the aux position which would be the norm ?
    Last edited by molerat; 12-01-2018 at 2:20 PM.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Sounds fair enough to me.

We wanted a fairly specific head unit to be honest.

We wanted a single DIN to start off with. One that offered good bluetooth and having experienced the CDE-103BT and the CDE-126BT versions myself i knew they were good. We'd experienced calls through a Sony unit (model number i forget) and the clarity wasn't as good.
    After that we wanted iPod connectivity but at the rear. Not just so you could connect the iPod but so that it would also charge the iPod (or iPhone).

All this kept whittling it down further & further.

Have you answered about the aux position which would be the norm ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    To be honest with you i don't even know what an aux position is.

To me there's the no key in the barrel position.
    There's the insert your key position.
    There's the turn it once position (can't remember if any lights come on at this point).
    There's the turn it a bit further so your dash lights up position
    And then there's the start the car position.

Which one of these is called the 'aux' position i don't know.

• molerat
    • By molerat 12th Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 17,701 Posts
    • 11,966 Thanks
    molerat
    The turn it once position, between key in and ignition lights on. It would be normal for the radio to be on in that position but it depends on where the radio switched live was picked up from.
    Last edited by molerat; 13-01-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 14,403 Thanks
    AdrianC
    To be honest with you i don't even know what an aux position is.

To me there's the no key in the barrel position.
    There's the insert your key position.
    There's the turn it once position (can't remember if any lights come on at this point).
    That one...

There's the turn it a bit further so your dash lights up position
    Engine running

And then there's the start the car position.
    As you say, starter.

Which one of these is called the 'aux' position i don't know.
    The one that turns auxiliary circuits on, without the engine running.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

1,925Users online

Martin's Twitter