Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Energize
    • By Energize 8th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 406Posts
    • 154Thanks
    Energize
    Question about trade unions.
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    Question about trade unions. 8th Jan 18 at 9:10 PM
    So I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks and after spending some time on this board the question of trade unions entered my mind. I've never been in one before and was wondering how exactly they work, what sort of benefits they have etc. If my workplace doesn't have a union rep, can I still join a union?
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 8th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,398 Posts
    • 7,338 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    Yes you can join a union whether there is a workplace rep and union recognition or not. They all have on line portals now where you can find out about the benefits they offer and the services you can obtain. In addition to the obvious, most now have a wide range of groups services - gas and electricity, car purchase or leasing, all insurances, holiday clubs, convalescent homes .... all at good discounts based on the purchasing power of their members. I'm shortly to undergo major surgery and live alone in a large Victorian terrace - not ideal for being non-weight bearing for several weeks. I will be having six weeks in a ground floor convalescent home "free of charge" by the coast to recover - provided by my union and a standard benefit for our members. I have free life insurance. A free legal advice line. My car came with a healthy discount.... etc etc

And that doesn't include the very healthy settlement I got for being unfairly dismissed many years ago, which, so far, is well in excess of my entire life's membership costs.

If you aren't going to join a union - and I'm based and think people should - the buy a good legal insurance policy for when the proverbial hits the fan. Although they won't be able to represent you in hearings or grievances....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,574Posts Today

9,882Users online

Martin's Twitter