Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• chipolatta
    • By chipolatta 8th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Can landlord claim WTC?
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    Can landlord claim WTC? 8th Jan 18 at 8:42 PM
    Hi all,
    Top and bottom of it is I lost my job a couple of years ago, struggling to find work, but have been renting out Mrs Chipolatta's flat, so have about £5k a year coming in from that.
    Been doing odd jobs cash in hand for folk locally, nothing stable or well paid, not been claiming benefits or tax credits, but push has come to shove, and I've put my pride aside and decided that we really do need extra money coming in.
    As a pro landlord (I guess), can we claim WTC? I punched the numbers into the online Tax Credit Calculator, and if I click the 'self employed' button and say I'm doing 25 hours a week, then the computer says 'yes'... So can a landlord claim WTC?
Page 2
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Jan 18, 7:08 AM
    • 4,948 Posts
    • 3,216 Thanks
    Thanks for the advice Comms69...
    Badmemory, yep, her flat. I don't think that affects any WTC though does it?
    Originally posted by chipolatta
    If you were to legitimately claim wtc then she would need to declare any profit she makes from her property as per her tax return.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,529Users online

Martin's Twitter