Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • solentsusie
    • By solentsusie 8th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 552Posts
    • 370Thanks
    solentsusie
    How do I find the landlord of the property next door
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    How do I find the landlord of the property next door 8th Jan 18 at 8:14 PM
    Hello everyone

I am trying to obtain the contact details for the landlord of the property next to mine which has been rented out since it was purchased in December 2015.

The current tenants are a nightmare. I have obtained the property Title number from the land registry which states the names of the owners, which are registered at the address of the rented property with no other contact details or address details present, and that the lender is the NatWest bank.

Any ideas on how I can obtain the actual contact details of the owners of the property who have never lived there but reside somewhere else?

Any help appreciated.
Page 2
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 9th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 11,372 Posts
    • 15,991 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    If you are in England then the landlord has no responsibility for how their tenants (mis) behave. Given the high likelihood that mortgage fraud was committed to purchase the property and that the landlords seem to have no issues with the property being used a knocking shop I don't think you will get anywhere if you do manage to track the landlords down. You may need to find another stick with which to beat them.

Did you check, as Dorian 1958 suggested, to see if your council has compulsory landlord registration? Is it possible that the property should be licensed as a HMO for the number of people living in it? Perhaps contact NatWest to expose the potential mortgage fraud.

As for your neighbours keep doing what you're doing with Environmental Health and the police.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 9th Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    For about £3, you can get details of the property owner here -

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzQ0NzYyMTcwtTTVj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjS xMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQF27QJ3/
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 6,535 Posts
    • 6,442 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Read the OP - they already have the Land Registry details.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jan 18, 10:43 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    need an answer
    reading the OP's original post I believe they have already done this.

The problem for the OP now being that the details listed link the owners of the property to the property and not a correspondence address so to speak.

The OP believes that those listed via land registry are not actually living there.

ETA Crossed posts sorry David.
    in S T F 9
    out S 3 T 1 F 5

2017 -32

2018 Wombling entrant No: 5 £6.37
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 9th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    This is the problem when the landlord puts the incorrect address on the land registry documents >:-( I would go down the route of a fake reason why you need to contact the landlord like a fence or something.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 9th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    reading the OP's original post I believe they have already done this.

The problem for the OP now being that the details listed link the owners of the property to the property and not a correspondence address so to speak.

The OP believes that those listed via land registry are not actually living there.

ETA Crossed posts sorry David.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    I epically failed there, didn't I?

Have you tried searching Google for archived rental advertisements for the property??

I found the letting agent by doing this and then gave them a letter to pass onto the LL.

Be aware though that no matter how awful the tenants are, the LL is under no obligation to do anything about it.

A lot of people are really surprised when they inform a LL of poor tenant behaviour and the LL is totally uninterested.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 9th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 9,238 Posts
    • 12,256 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    .....I am going to ignore your final comment as it is childish and put there to cause an argument. Grow up.
    Originally posted by solentsusie
    Thank you for your kind comments. It was a serious comment:. We've heard your eloquent description:. But in my experience the "other side" in such disputes rarely has nothing to say. Feel free to ignore , if you so wish.

Best wishes to all, including those who disagree with this OaP.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    need an answer
    I'm not going to challenge the OP over her feelings for her neighbour but sometimes these things are subjective and can come down to "neighbour snobbery".
    I get that this isn't the case potentially with this situation the things the OP describes are not nice to live next door to however just because someone is a LL shouldn't mean the automatic right to have a tenant removed because they do not fit in with the neighbourhood.

I'm not writing this post lightly and know that I'm putting myself up to have bits quoted that may be taken out of context to the way the whole post is meant to come across.

I'm a LL and hopefully not of the type the OP posts about,but in fairness when I agree tenants I work with my LA to decide on the candidates based on a certain criteria that wouldn't necessarily mean I asked them how they would conduct themselves within the property.

Myself and my LA can only judge on what the prospective tenant tells us,and I will admit that actually on one occasion after a set of tenants left I was forced to admit they were "bad uns"!!!
    However I only found this out when talking to the neighbours after they had left and seeing how they left the property. It would seem that sometimes its a lot easier for neighbours to talk to eachother about a problem than actually make contact with the property owner.
    (I have never hidden behind incorrect details and would happily speak to a tenant if an issue was raised however how far that protracted out towards the issuing of notice would need to be decided on a clear set of evidence being produced to me).
    For the year they lived there when work was carried out or checks made everything gave no indication of what bubbled below.

I am no mind reader and unless issues are highlighted then it's not for the LL to be approaching neighbours for feed back on the tenants.
    Again I acknowledge that the OP has made good attempts to try and contact the property owner and unfortunately it hasn't proved a positive outcome

Don't blame the LL straight off....report your findings and suspicions in the correct manner to the relevant people,that's what will ultimately help you get the results you want.
    Maybe if its an ajoined house go round and say you think there is a problem with the loft joining wall or something and ask for the owners contact details to perhaps discuss.
    I'm also LL to a property where even before I put it on the rental market was faced with a very irate neighbour who actually gave me a list of suitable professions for the incoming tenants. Something about lowering the tone of the neighbourhood,as I say even before the board went up!
    As I said previously a case of neighbourhood snobbery.

other than that there's little recourse for you until such time that the tenants decide it's time to move on,and don't forget there are a huge number of homeowners out there who also don't get on with with their neighbours.
    tenants/homeowners there is little difference really they are all someones neighbour and not destined to get on with everyone.

I'm currently living next door to a player of loud music,nice people except that one niggle,both of us are homeowners and I'm sure there are things we do that niggle them.
    Not worth rocking the boat.
    But again if I felt that it became an issue I could consider some form of complaint regarding noise.
    OP I do genuinely hope you find a solution to the situation but I do fear that even in finding out the details of the owner, your journey will be no further forward in achieving the outcome you want.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-01-2018 at 1:53 PM.
    in S T F 9
    out S 3 T 1 F 5

2017 -32

• PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 9th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    I'm not going to challenge the OP over her feelings for her neighbour but sometimes these things are subjective and can come down to "neighbour snobbery".
    I get that this isn't the case potentially with this situation the things the OP describes are not nice to live next door to however just because someone is a LL shouldn't mean the automatic right to have a tenant removed because they do not fit in with the neighbourhood.

I'm not writing this post lightly and know that I'm putting myself up to have bits quoted that may be taken out of context to the way the whole post is meant to come across.

I'm a LL and hopefully not of the type the OP posts about,but in fairness when I agree tenants I work with my LA to decide on the candidates based on a certain criteria that wouldn't necessarily mean I asked them how they would conduct themselves within the property.

Myself and my LA can only judge on what the prospective tenant tells us,and I will admit that actually on one occasion after a set of tenants left I was forced to admit they were "bad uns"!!!
    However I only found this out when talking to the neighbours after they had left and seeing how they left the property. It would seem that sometimes its a lot easier for neighbours to talk to eachother about a problem than actually make contact with the property owner.
    (I have never hidden behind incorrect details and would happily speak to a tenant if an issue was raised however how far that protracted out towards the issuing of notice would need to be decided on a clear set of evidence being produced to me).
    For the year they lived there when work was carried out or checks made everything gave no indication of what bubbled below.

I am no mind reader and unless issues are highlighted then it's not for the LL to be approaching neighbours for feed back on the tenants.
    Again I acknowledge that the OP has made good attempts to try and contact the property owner and unfortunately it hasn't proved a positive outcome

Don't blame the LL straight off....report your findings and suspicions in the correct manner to the relevant people,that's what will ultimately help you get the results you want.
    Maybe if its an ajoined house go round and say you think there is a problem with the loft joining wall or something and ask for the owners contact details to perhaps discuss.
    I'm also LL to a property where even before I put it on the rental market was faced with a very irate neighbour who actually gave me a list of suitable professions for the incoming tenants. Something about lowering the tone of the neighbourhood,as I say even before the board went up!
    As I said previously a case of neighbourhood snobbery.

other than that there's little recourse for you until such time that the tenants decide it's time to move on,and don't forget there are a huge number of homeowners out there who also don't get on with with their neighbours.
    tenants/homeowners there is little difference really they are all someones neighbour and not destined to get on with everyone.

I'm currently living next door to a player of loud music,nice people except that one niggle,both of us are homeowners and I'm sure there are things we do that niggle them.
    Not worth rocking the boat.
    But again if I felt that it became an issue I could consider some form of complaint regarding noise.
    OP I do genuinely hope you find a solution to the situation but I do fear that even in finding out the details of the owner, your journey will be no further forward in achieving the outcome you want.
    You are right that a lot of the time, it does come down to neighbour snobbery.

However, it is absolutely awful when you have nightmare neighbours with appalling behaviour and their LL knows about it and doesn't give a toss.

The LL of our NNs actually said "as long as the rent is paid then I couldn't care less".

More fool him because he will care when he sees what they have done to his property as he doesn't bother to do quarterly inspections.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 9th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    • 16,296 Posts
    • 40,572 Thanks
    FBaby
    I am going to ignore your final comment as it is childish and put there to cause an argument. Grow up.
    I think you're the one who is being childlish if you think that a LL who rents a property to people like this, never bothering to come and check on the property is going to care one yota at what you might have to say!!

For one, there is little they can do but evict (in very specific circumstances which might not apply here, especially if the tenants have been there for less than 6 months). Otherwise, any issues is for you to deal with in the same way you would if the tenants were actually the owners of the property.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    need an answer
    You are right that a lot of the time, it does come down to neighbour snobbery.

However, it is absolutely awful when you have nightmare neighbours with appalling behaviour and their LL knows about it and doesn't give a toss.

The LL of our NNs actually said "as long as the rent is paid then I couldn't care less".

More fool him because he will care when he sees what they have done to his property as he doesn't bother to do quarterly inspections.
    Originally posted by PersianCatLady
    yes sadly there are good and bad LL's in the same way that there are good and bad tenants.

As fbaby also points out you have to also take into account if these people who are living there were the homeowners,what action as neighbours would you take then.

That's, imo the only way that this can be resolved,adding a LL into the situation won't bring about eviction of the inhabitants.
    in S T F 9
    out S 3 T 1 F 5

2017 -32

• PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 9th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    yes sadly there are good and bad LL's in the same way that there are good and bad tenants.

As fbaby also points out you have to also take into account if these people who are living there were the homeowners,what action as neighbours would you take then.

That's, imo the only way that this can be resolved,adding a LL into the situation won't bring about eviction of the inhabitants.
    Some LLs may be pleased that you have informed them of their tenants behaviour and will consider that when deciding whether or not to renew their AST.

Most LLs couldn't care less about their tenant's behaviour and will not do anything.

A lot of people are really surprised by this especially when a lot of online guides advise contacting a bad tenant's LL in the case of issues.

You are correct in saying that you can only really take the same action as if the tenants were homeowners.

Thing is, not always but very often, homeowners do not seem to behave as badly as some tenants.

For example, I know of a family of eight who rent a house that they could never afford in their wildest dreams.

Mum and Dad have never worked a day in their lives and they are proud of this fact.

Most working families in the area could not afford to rent the 4 bedroom house that this family live in but LHA covers most of the rent and a DHP makes up the rest.

When you buy a home in a decent area, you do not expect the council to put a nightmare family into one of the best houses in the area and pay all of their rent.

This particular family cause havoc and are well known locally as troublemakers. If they had to go out to work and pay for their home, they wouldn't have the time to sit up all night drinking throwing glass bottles into other people's gardens.

You would think that a LL would care about this but he is guaranteed his (extortionate) rent money from the council.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    need an answer
    Some LLs may be pleased that you have informed them of their tenants behaviour and will consider that when deciding whether or not to renew their AST.
    but after the initial AST the contract rolls onto periodic,I have never had to decide to renew any of my tenants contracts.Are you saying I should be considering interviewing my tenants to establish their behaviour before charging them to renew a contract that automatically rolls over.

slightly perplexed by your comments also later in the post please forgive me but an air of neighbour snobbery may be evident or am I hopefully just reading too much into it.

Anyway going back to the OP I also read that they were unaware when a change of tenant took place as it appeared that no board was displayed,possibly due to the fact that the LL does not use a LA and goes via gumtree and small ad's to advertise.Thats a way of cutting costs for both the tenant and LL and some may suggest filters out a different type of tenant who perhaps cant or doesn't want to pay large letting set up fees or who may fail more conventional credit checks.

I'm not defending bad LL's merely pointing out that even a "good respectable LL" if such thing exists will have problems and expense removing a tenant who isn't fitting into a neighbourhood for whatever reason,much easier done when though official channels.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-01-2018 at 4:16 PM.
    in S T F 9
    out S 3 T 1 F 5

2017 -32

• PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 9th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    but after the initial AST the contract rolls onto periodic,I have never had to decide to renew any of my tenants contracts.Are you saying I should be considering interviewing my tenants to establish their behaviour before charging them to renew a contract that automatically rolls over.

slightly perplexed by your comments also later in the post please forgive me but an air of neighbour snobbery may be evident or am I hopefully just reading too much into it.

Anyway going back to the OP I also read that they were unaware when a change of tenant took place as it appeared that no board was displayed,possibly due to the fact that the LL does not use a LA and goes via gumtree and small ad's to advertise.Thats a way of cutting costs for both the tenant and LL and some may suggest filters out a different type of tenant who perhaps cant or doesn't want to pay large letting set up fees or who may fail more conventional credit checks.

I'm not defending bad LL's merely pointing out that even a "good respectable LL" if such thing exists will have problems and expense removing a tenant who isn't fitting into a neighbourhood for whatever reason,much easier done when though official channels.
    In our area, most LLs do 6/12 month contracts even though they could just have periodic tenancies.

A lot of tenants that I know personally actively dread the end of the 12 month AST and expect the S21 after the tenth month.

You mention getting rid of problem tenants through official channels, I was just wondering what these actually are because other than appealling to the better nature of a LL there are ways to get rid of a problem neighbour who is in SH but not one that is PR.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    need an answer

You mention getting rid of problem tenants through official channels, I was just wondering what these actually are because other than appealling to the better nature of a LL there are ways to get rid of a problem neighbour who is in SH but not one that is PR.
    my fault I've re read my post and perhaps I didn't make it too clear.

By wording official channels I mean that you need to treat homeowners and tenants in the same manner.
    If there is a problem with rubbish build up you can approach environmental health be that with a complaint about owner or tenant.

I actually see little good from trying to appeal to the better nature of a LL when there are channels in place listed on council websites who deal specifically with some of the issues you are umbrellaing as nuisance neighbour.
    If you believe that illegal occurrences are taking place within a property as mentioned by the OP previously then my understanding is whether the property is owner occupied or rental the route to initially take would be crimestoppers or 111.
    Environmental health deal with rubbish build up.
    Noise levels can be monitored also by relevant channels.

ETC ETC.

Just because someone doesn't hold down a job and sits up drinking all night cannot be classed as a reason to demand eviction, however if they are littering your garden with broken bottles then you should be able to contact someone other than the LL to help educate them in the social skills of recycling.

Even if a LL were to go down the route of eviction then the costs can run into thousands,it isn't just a case of asking the tenant to leave on a set date so that the status quo of the neighbourhood can be restored.

It feels as if I've taken over enough of the OP's original thread.
    Time for someone else to make appropriate suggestions and comments.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-01-2018 at 5:06 PM.
    in S T F 9
    out S 3 T 1 F 5

2017 -32

• PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 9th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    my fault I've re read my post and perhaps I didn't make it too clear.

By wording official channels I mean that you need to treat homeowners and tenants in the same manner.
    If there is a problem with rubbish build up you can approach environmental health be that with a complaint about owner or tenant.

I actually see little good from trying to appeal to the better nature of a LL when there are channels in place listed on council websites who deal specifically with some of the issues you are umbrellaing as nuisance neighbour.
    If you believe that illegal occurrences are taking place within a property as mentioned by the OP previously then my understanding is whether the property is owner occupied or rental the route to initially take would be crimestoppers or 111.
    Environmental health deal with rubbish build up.
    Noise levels can be monitored also by relevant channels.

ETC ETC.

Just because someone doesn't hold down a job and sits up drinking all night cannot be classed as a reason to demand eviction, however if they are littering your garden with broken bottles then you should be able to contact someone other than the LL to help educate them in the social skills of recycling.

Even if a LL were to go down the route of eviction then the costs can run into thousands,it isn't just a case of asking the tenant to leave on a set date so that the status quo of the neighbourhood can be restored.

It feels as if I've taken over enough of the OP's original thread.
    Time for someone else to make appropriate suggestions and comments.
    You are a lucky person.

If you believe that people can get any action taken against nightmare neighbours through the channels you have described then you have clearly never experienced the sheer hell that certain types of tenants put their neighbours through.

You as a LL are entitled to ignore or deal with any complaints that you receive about your tenants from their neighbours.

It isn't up to you to decide that people who have been subjected to neighbour abuse should not try every avenue open to them.

I used to trust in the official channels to help with nightmare neighbour issues but they don't.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 9th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    Forgot to add - some LLs are actually grateful to know that their valuable investment property is being used as a drug den / party house and not being used as presented on inspection day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

951Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter