Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 8th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    • 635Posts
    • 344Thanks
    dunroving
    Self Assessment amendment - making payment to HMRC?
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    Self Assessment amendment - making payment to HMRC? 8th Jan 18 at 7:57 PM
    Hello:

Basic issue, I think. Submitted SA online for first time in December and subsequently set up a direct debit online to make a payment on the 10th January (Wednesday).

Subsequently realised an error related to overseas pension and filed an amendment meaning an additional £1k or so is payable.

Will the DD already set up make an adjustment for this new amount due? Or will I need to submit another DD for the additional amount?

The HMRC site isn't especially helpful as I can't find any record of the previous DD I set up, to see if the amount has been adjusted.
    (Nearly) dunroving
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 19,174 Posts
    • 14,837 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    I suspect that the simplest thing to do is wait until Wednesday to find out what's been taken then if necessary make arrangements to pay the extra. For what it's worth, if you've only made the amendment today I suspect they will take the original amount as it's a bit tight for a DD change before Wednesday.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 9th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    I actually made the amendment over a week ago but with the problems with the HMRC site recently I didn't get on to try to check the payment until yesterday. As you've suggested, I'll check my bank balance after the 10th, but wondered if some smart person already had experience of how the HMRC DD system works.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 10th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    Update: The previously set up DD went through this morning, but only for the amount due from my first self-assessment (i.e., not the additional amount due as a result of my amendment).

Interestingly, when I then went in to set up a new direct debit for the additional amount, the earliest date it would allow me to set up the payment for was 17th January (in one week). Quite odd, and I wonder if 7 days is a standard time, and if so whether you could be penalised for late payment if you tried to set up a DD on January 31st?
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • purdyoaten2
    • By purdyoaten2 10th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    purdyoaten2
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    You don't get 'penalised' for late payment. You will, however, be charged interest at the rate of 3% per annum.
    purdyoaten lost his password
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 13th Jan 18, 6:42 AM
    • 7,392 Posts
    • 12,294 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:42 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:42 AM
    You don't get 'penalised' for late payment. You will, however, be charged interest at the rate of 3% per annum.
    Originally posted by purdyoaten2
    You do get 'penalised' for late payments if they are more than 30 days late. The penalty is equivalent to 5% of tax outstanding.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,009Posts Today

9,871Users online

Martin's Twitter