Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Manchester_123
    • By Manchester_123 8th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Barclaycard temporary block interest
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    Barclaycard temporary block interest 8th Jan 18 at 7:55 PM
    Hi all,

I made a start cleansing my finances and today had a bright idea to phone up Barclaycard to see if they could offer me a reduced interest rate for being a loycal customer (account since 2013). The chap I spoke to was very friendly in the promotional rates department and said whilst he couldn’t offer to reduce the interest rate at the moment he could but a temporary stop on the interest for the next three months. I was really happy with
    This as I can make some head way into the overall balance. The chap said it will not be advised to the credit reference agency.

However after hanging up I had a horrible feeling that this will go against me as some type of arrangement or something on my credit file? I am hoping to get a mortgage In around 12 months so anything bad on my file would be awful.

Has anyone had anything similar? Do you think I should call up and cancel this??

Thank you in advance
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 15,987 Posts
    • 16,978 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    Normally arrangements are reported to the CRAs. However, it's not unheard of that the lender doesn't, as a short term favour.

You might want to just double check with them.

Also check that it's not just a payment holiday, where it continues to accrue but is not chargeable for three months.

In general, be careful about indicating to lenders that you need to lower payments, unless you have a genuine issue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,611Posts Today

8,976Users online

Martin's Twitter