Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Morata_
    • By Morata_ 8th Jan 18, 5:33 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Anyone brought on the same street as one they are selling?
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:33 PM
    Anyone brought on the same street as one they are selling? 8th Jan 18 at 5:33 PM
    Seen a house, 8 doors down on our estate, bigger but speaking to people, no one has ever brought on same street.

Does it make financial sense? Should we just sit where we are or find something further afield?

Apologies if this is a bizarre thread topic...
Page 2
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 9th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 24,186 Posts
    • 51,118 Thanks
    When we relocated we rented No.10 for ten months and then bought No.23.

When I was 9 my parents moved from No.7 to No.41 which, due to the road layout, actually faced each other across about 40 metres of road. They moved the day England won the World Cup.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 9th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 997 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    Does it make financial sense? I don't know, is your street good value for money? It's more about whether you like the road or not.

We moved 15 doors down on our street (conversion flat to whole house) - it was our second choice of house after our first fell through, but we like our street, despite the terrible parking (no drives) - it is 5 mins from the tube, 30 seconds from the shops and it does have a nice sense of community, especially for London. We are not the first people to move within the road.

We went from the middle to the high street end, so it is noisier and we have a rather unlovely view of the back doors of a shop and restaurant (plus a slight risk of flytipping in front of the house, though it's not been so bad lately). Luckily the landlords of the first house opposite us finally gave it a paintjob so that's not an eyesore any longer at least. So bear in mind what might be different on different parts of the street.
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 9th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    My wife and I live next door to the house where she grew up - her father still lives there and he's not getting any younger, so when the house next door came up we bought it - we can keep an eye on him and dont have any trouble with the neighbours. Its like a granny annex but unattached!!

At the end of the day though, it doesnt matter what anyone else has done. What is right for you?
    • n217970
    • By n217970 9th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    Couple I sold to moved from a small house 5 doors away into my old house.

They have gone on to build a huge extension that will cost far more then the value it will add to the house so I guess they are not motivated by "financial sense"
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 9th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    We didn’t buy on the exact same road as it has a different name but it is literally 0.4 miles down the same straight road.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 9th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,958 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    I currently have a 2 bed. Looking at miving to a 3 bed house this year. If we coukd get one on the same street it would ve ideal we love the location.
    Mortgage Debt: £93,537.48/£105,025 Feb 13
    Overpayments so far: £3,939.72
    • GaleSF63
    • By GaleSF63 9th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Where I used to live we moved to the next street for a bigger house. One of our neighbours there did exactly the same thing. Two other neighbours there swapped houses (2-bed and 3-bed). After I moved from that (2nd) house someone from about 20 houses down on the same road told me they would have liked to buy my house but were too late.

My next door neighbour did. The removal men wheeled their washing machine round by hand on a trolley.
    Originally posted by franklee
    That's how our piano travelled.

Last edited by GaleSF63; 09-01-2018 at 9:50 PM.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 9th Jan 18, 9:55 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Brought what?

Or do you mean bought?
    Originally posted by Slithery
    • Mossfarr
    • By Mossfarr 9th Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    We moved just round the corner into my former family home.
    Much bigger house with room to extend, great neighbours and my children attended the same schools as I did.
    We are still here 27 years later!
    • blueraven18
    • By blueraven18 9th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    We’re doing exactly this (provided the sale/purchase goes well). We are literally moving across the road to the house opposite. We love our street, our neighbours and the area as a whole. We also love our house but because I run my business from home we need space to expand.

I’ve always looked at the house opposite in admiration since we moved here (it’s large with a lot of land) and often commented to my husband that if our neighbour ever put it on the market, we should put an offer on it. As it turns out, they weren’t actively on the market but a quiet discussion during a neighbourhood party led to discussions about us buying the property from them as they’d like to downsize due to age and health.

It will feel strange living opposite our current house but we’re so thrilled we won’t have to leave the area and community we’ve grown to love...fingers crossed. We just need to find a buyer for ours now!
    • esmy
    • By esmy 10th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    Yes, bought the house opposite our old one. We carried everything out of one back door into the other with assistance from friends and the neighbourhood kids (who all got a pay packet - they worked like dogs!) on the hottest day of that year. We can see our old house out of our back windows. The current house is too big for us now, so could do a move back....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,729Posts Today

8,340Users online

Martin's Twitter