Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Taylorbird
    • By Taylorbird 8th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Taylorbird
    Milton Keynes Food Court Parking Fine
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    Milton Keynes Food Court Parking Fine 8th Jan 18 at 4:55 PM
    Sorry for new thread but I am struggling to find an answer to my issue provided in the information. Could easily be me being stupid so again apologies.

I think I have an understanding on how to appeal but what I want to know is can the driver still appeal if it has been over 2 months? Basically I have received two demand for payments letters from DRP for 26/10/17 and 6/11/17 at Milton Keynes Food Centre for parking charges, asking for £320 in total! The driver is unsure whether they did stay longer than the 3 hour free period but the problem is that we have not received any notification from Smart Parking Ltd, therefore no opportunity to potentially pay the £60 each. This could be because of moving house, therefore change of address had not been updated at time of parking charge dates. So in this instance, does the driver still try to make an appeal and who to?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 8th Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    What are the dates of the alleged incidents?

This recent thread suggests that the three hour limit you mention is not a condition of parking:

It is the keeper who should be appealing, not the driver.
    It was after all the keeper that received the Notice to Keeper.
    Last edited by KeithP; 08-01-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 52,826 Posts
    • 66,338 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    Yes, get the keeper to send a late appeal and if that's no longer possible online, send Smart Parking a letter and keep free proof of posting (a 'certificate of posting' receipt from the PO counter).

Make sure you confirm your correct new address and ask for a POPLA code for each parking event.

If you don't get POPLA codes, just ignore debt collector letters.

Complain to the Retail Park first, without saying who was driving, and complain to the BPA that in two cases, Smart Parking appear to have not bothered to post a PCN at all, and have gone straight to debt collection.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Taylorbird
    • By Taylorbird 8th Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Taylorbird
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    Dates were 26/10/17 and 6/11/17.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 34,047 Posts
    • 17,975 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    Treat them separately. Appeal separately
    • Taylorbird
    • By Taylorbird 9th Jan 18, 2:07 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Taylorbird
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:07 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:07 PM
    Sorry is there a template letter somewhere the keeper can use to send the retail park?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    No there isn't, but it should be quite easy to explain how much of a valued customer you are, enclosing copies of receipts for recent purchases, and how you and you friends will have to shop elsewhere because with the parking fees it simply is no longer economic to shop there.
    • Taylorbird
    • By Taylorbird 9th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Taylorbird
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    Sorry is there a template letter somewhere the keeper can use to send the retail park?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 9th Jan 18, 2:50 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:50 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:50 PM
    No, write about 3 lines yourself. Not too tricky!
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 7,623 Posts
    • 6,705 Thanks
    The Deep
    UIAM, this venue houses 30 restaurants. If there are also shops in the vicinity, surely 3 hours is not unreasonable to do some shopping, visit the gym, confess your sins in the church, have your nails and hair done, read 30 menus, order a meal, eat it, and order a take away for the kids.

This time limit may well be an unfair term in a consumer contract. Read about it here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GUEA_en-GBGB707GB707&q=Consumer+rights+act&gws_rd=ssl
    Last edited by The Deep; 09-01-2018 at 3:14 PM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • kryten3000
    • By kryten3000 9th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    kryten3000
    The Food Centre is near the main MK shopping centre (imaginatively titled thecentre:MK) which many locals incorrectly refer to as "up the city". It used to have branches of Waitrose, Sainsburys (both closed), and Iceland plus a dozen or so smaller outlets.

People park there as it is one of the few completely free car parks in the whole of central MK. thecentre:MK has a couple of hundred outlets including 20+ restaurants, so it is very easy to spend an entire day there if you are so inclined. The car park is also next to the "Theatre District" with another dozen or so restaurants/pubs to choose from.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 7,623 Posts
    • 6,705 Thanks
    The Deep
    It would definitely appear that this is an unfair term. I very much doubt if the PPC would welcome such a defence in court as they would have to change their signs if they lost.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    KeithP
    But the three hour limit is not even a term of the contract, see the link in my earlier post, where we are told:
    Staying for less than 3 hours is not actually one of the terms and conditions that applies to parking in the Food Centre MK car park, according to the sign in the car park that is headed "Terms and Conditions" (despite what other signs might say - the Terms and Conditions sign states that it contains all terms and conditions that apply and it does not mention a time limit - so that the other signs are misleading).
    Perhaps the OP would be good enough to confirm that those signs are still there.
    • Taylorbird
    • By Taylorbird 10th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Taylorbird
    No idea why my question posted twice so thanks for your help but perhaps Nosferatu, if you have nothing helpful to add, you could refrain from posting on my thread.
    Also I would like to add that 3 hours is not always enough time if you have a baby.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 34,047 Posts
    • 17,975 Thanks
    Quentin
    Pointless asking helpers here to keep out of your thread.

Sure way to end up on the ignore list.

Maybe you would delete that!!
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 10th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Its VERY helpful for you to write your OWN complaint letter. Its not a difficult request

You could perhaps also confirm if the 3 hour limit is there.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 10th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    • 7,623 Posts
    • 6,705 Thanks
    The Deep
    Nosferatu, if you have nothing helpful to add, you could refrain from posting on my thread.

Sometimes it is not help you need but advice.
    • Taylorbird
    • By Taylorbird 10th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Taylorbird
    Sorry, perhaps context was lost as I thought you were being sarcastic. If you were genuinely trying to help, I apologise. Help and advice is very much appreciated.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    KeithP
    Taylorbird, it really is important to get pictures of the signs as soon as possible.

As asked repeatedly, do the signs confirm that the three hour limit is not part of the parking contract?

If the signs do confirm that, then they will be changed as soon as the PPC realise their mistake.

Get those pictures now.
    • Taylorbird
    • By Taylorbird 10th Jan 18, 3:51 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Taylorbird
    I will be heading up there soon and checking the signs. I also checked the link you sent earlier, the time of the post would indicate that signs were incorrect at time of issues fines. I saw that there were pictures attached, that could be potentially used. Will keep you posted
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,011Posts Today

8,701Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• RT @elainelawro: @MartinSLewis When I lost my mum suddenly from a burst aneurysm on the brain I was unaware that my mum had signed up to do?

• RT @AlisonKinder: @MartinSLewis I?m on my second kidney transplant in Thirty years. My life has been changed beyond recognition twice by th?

• Follow Martin