Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnotherJAM
    • By AnotherJAM 8th Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AnotherJAM
    Installing a clothes rail in a cupboard help
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    Installing a clothes rail in a cupboard help 8th Jan 18 at 4:54 PM
    Hello all,
    I have a cupboard that I would like to put a rail in so I can hang clothes there but I want to check something. I've watched some Youtube videos and they seem to screw the fittings into wooden battens that are around the inside of the cupboard. My cupboard doesn't have these but I'm wondering if I could still do it? Also if the battens are essential is that something a novice DIYer could do himself?
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    You need something like this. You can make your own end supports and use a broom stick if you are DIY minded.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FMK-Wardrobe-hanging-rail-set/dp/B002EIEUZM/ref=sr_1_6/257-0650396-8510307?ie=UTF8&qid=1515431696&sr=8-6&keywords=clothes+rail+for+cupboard
    • -taff
    • By -taff 8th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 7,335 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    -taff
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    Will your cupboard walls take the weight of a hanging rail full of clothes without extra support?
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 8th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    What is inside your cupboard?
    Is it just plasterboard walls?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 31,169 Posts
    • 18,682 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    Hello all,
    I have a cupboard that I would like to put a rail in so I can hang clothes there but I want to check something.
    Originally posted by AnotherJAM
    bit more info needed a picture would help.

what sort of cupboard.

how long will the rail be.

whats above the rail.
    • AnotherJAM
    • By AnotherJAM 8th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnotherJAM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    Thanks Tom. That's what I was planning on getting. I've seen the brackets and pole as a set in B&Q

Pramsay, nothing. It's the sort of cupboard in the bedroom where you'd see an immersion heater but nothing inside just a box.

Taff, that's what I'm worried about :/
    • AnotherJAM
    • By AnotherJAM 8th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnotherJAM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    Oh I mean a box as in nothing on the inside just bare.
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 9,148 Posts
    • 4,479 Thanks
    missile
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    I did that, works very well.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    Thanks Tom. That's what I was planning on getting. I've seen the brackets and pole as a set in B&Q

Pramsay, nothing. It's the sort of cupboard in the bedroom where you'd see an immersion heater but nothing inside just a box.

Taff, that's what I'm worried about :/
    Originally posted by AnotherJAM
    You can make a much sturdier end support by using a short length of wood say 30mm x 20mm x 100mm and drill a hole in the middle to take the rail then use 2 screws either side to fix the support to the side of the cupboard.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 8th Jan 18, 7:41 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 1,788 Thanks
    Ectophile
    It all depends on what the walls are like. Fixing battens to the wall allows you to spread the load, and gives you something to screw into. You're expected to provide your own battens if there aren't any there.

However, if the walls are solid enough, there's nothing to stop you using wall plugs and screwing the end caps straight to the wall, as in missile's picture. I did something very similar myself when I ran out of wardrobe space, and it hasn't fallen off the wall yet.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Jan 18, 3:37 AM
    • 31,169 Posts
    • 18,682 Thanks
    getmore4less
    if you go into batons you don't need the end caps you just drill a hole the right size for the rail.

A couple of decent plasterboard fixings to support each baton and it will hold a load of stuff.

a couple of full width batons and you can pop a shelf on top.

or if lucky on the width there may be something that will fit from a free/wall range of fittings that will make full use of the space.
    • missile
    • By missile 9th Jan 18, 12:28 PM
    • 9,148 Posts
    • 4,479 Thanks
    missile
    I live in a flat and my rail is in the cupboard which houses the hot water cylinder. An added bonus is the heat serves to dry the clothes :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

9,199Users online

Martin's Twitter