Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • E&G
    • By E&G 8th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 12Thanks
    E&G
    Estate agent fees - how much could/should it cost?
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    Estate agent fees - how much could/should it cost? 8th Jan 18 at 4:53 PM
    Hi

Looking to sell a property and wondering what sort of fee I should be looking at. Sale price will likely be 80-85k, property in Scotland. Happy to do viewings ourselves.

Thanks
Page 2
    • googler
    • By googler 9th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 14,539 Posts
    • 9,402 Thanks
    googler
    The quoted comment was a response to your last sentence - "held to convince people that the properties they are selling are worth more than they actually are...", not the whole paragraph

to which I said "As a seller, wouldn't you want your EA to do this? Or are you happy to sell your home for less than you really want to?"

I should have edited the quoted paragraph down to reflect this.

but, from another part of the para;

"let people into a house and follow them round a few times."

So you agree that, for a scenario where only one of those people buys the house, that the EA is spending time with "a few" people who don't buy?

How should the EA be paid for this time spent, travel cost accumulated, etc.? They can't bill the viewer or potential buyer. The only person they have a contract with is the seller. So the cost of this must be factored into the fees.

Can YOU think of any profession where so much time is spent with non-paying members of the general public? I'm struggling to do so.
    Last edited by googler; 09-01-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 9th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    The quoted comment was a response to your last sentence "held to convince people that the properties they are selling are worth more than they actually are..."

to which I said "As a seller, wouldn't you want your EA to do this? Or are you happy to sell your home for less than you really want to?"

I should have edited the quoted paragraph down to reflect this
    Originally posted by googler
    This comment was aimed at the fact that EAs sell themselves by convincing the client that they can get more than the property is actually worth.

That is some skill...

All they basically do is look at the valuation and then add a few thousand to it. Anyone can do that....
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 9th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    LandyAndy, they didn't break the law. It was a newly opened office and not VAT registered at the time of sale. If it had required reg before we sold they agreed to hold the flat fee at the figure without VAT. Lucky us.

Bertie white, the attractiveness of flat fee to the seller is certainty of cost (when we weren't certain of what it would go for.) I agree on the potential for EA to sit back, but as long as the flat fee is around or about they shouldn't lose much. As a new office in our area they were trying to bash the established incumbent so took a hit on fee to get some boards up.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • googler
    • By googler 9th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 14,539 Posts
    • 9,402 Thanks
    googler
    This comment was aimed at the fact that EAs sell themselves by convincing the client that they can get more than the property is actually worth.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    Ahhh.... - by "people" you meant the sellers specifically, not the general public.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 9th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Ahhh.... - by "people" you meant the sellers specifically, not the general public.
    Originally posted by googler
    What are you talking about?
    • googler
    • By googler 9th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 14,539 Posts
    • 9,402 Thanks
    googler
    What are you talking about?
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    The fact that I took your reference to 'people' to mean general public and buyers, but that you later corrected your reference to read 'sellers' or 'clients' ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,806Posts Today

8,581Users online

Martin's Twitter