Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• gardner1
    • By gardner1 8th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 2,403Posts
    • 3,552Thanks
    The Winter Lurgy
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    The Winter Lurgy 8th Jan 18 at 4:16 PM
    How are people coping with the horrible colds that are around at the moment

I got a sore throat and runny nose which cleared 3 days before Christmas..........then on Jan 2nd it came back with a vengeance.
    6 Days of coughing up yellow/green phlegm and still not showing signs of stomach aches from coughing so much mainly at night time.
    I've found its easier with the CH off heat just aggravates it going out in cold for a walk is great for it and have spent the last 5 days on soups,water,ibuprofen and lemsips which help a bit at nights.Its the the worst cold/chest infection I've had for a very long time

If in wrong section feel free to move
    Last edited by gardner1; 08-01-2018 at 4:19 PM.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 32,593 Posts
    • 38,199 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    I hit it with cough medicine from day one , learnt not to leave it until the coughing starts with a vengeance. And of course money saving supermarket own brand at £1.50 rather than £6 for the brand leader
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 8th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    I've got my spittoon handy for all the green gunk
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 8,995 Posts
    • 13,852 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    I've got my spittoon handy for all the green gunk
    Originally posted by couriervanman
    Not just me then!

Iíve had it on and off since Nov 20th but have been really stuck down since NYE and even missed a day off work last Thursday. The stuff Iíve been coughing up first thing has been like a horror movie. Iíve been taking Naproxen that I bought in the States but Iím disappointed itís prescription only in the UK as it really worked.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 6,675 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    Day and Night Nurse are still the best. Don't drive after you've taken the night ones though!
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 9th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 3,552 Thanks
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    Any recommendations for a simple blackcurrant medicine that will stop the tickly throat and in turn will stop me coughing constantly resulting in my stomach hurting like hell
    Don't mind bringing up the green stuff every now and again just not every five minutes.Been taking paracetamol or Lemsip and ibuprofen but to be honest getting sick of the taste of lemsip as well as menthol cough sweets
    Last edited by gardner1; 09-01-2018 at 2:51 PM.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 9th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    Never mind the super contagious cold which is sweeping through the UK, the Aussie flu and two other strains are building up nicely to form a full on epidemic.Ireland has had its first death this week
    France has just declared an epidemic
    .Every area of the UK except London has posted infections of the flu virus which will make a "bit of a cold " seem like nothing.
    I had a flu jab , as usual in November only to find out that the NHS jab is useless for the "elderly " and OAPs..because of our weak immune system.
    There is a better flu jab called Fluad available which works on OAPS but the NHS dont use it.
    The NHS are aware of this but they continued to push all the "at risk " groups like me, to have the vaccination. This seems like a serious problem if the NHS flu jab is totally ineffective, and they know it is .
    According to NHS England , this vaccine will be available from the NHS for over 75 s who will need it as a priority. Over 75s should stipulate they want this vaccine because the main NHS one wont work !
    I am in the process of ordering the Fluad vaccine..
    I caught Hong Kong flu in 1968.The epidemic lasted 2 years and killed 30,000. I don`t want flu again
    This latest Aussie strain, H3N2, is a killer, and the NHS flu jab is poor against it if you are over 65 and utterly useless if you are over 75.
    Last edited by House Martin; 09-01-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,577Posts Today

4,326Users online

Martin's Twitter