Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChangesAhead
    • By ChangesAhead 8th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ChangesAhead
    Blue Badge Use Question
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    Blue Badge Use Question 8th Jan 18 at 3:37 PM
    If you are dropping off a passenger who has a blue badge outside a medical place and then park up elsewhere some distance away using their badge, before returning to pick them up when there appointment is over. Is this allowed?

It was a question I wondered earlier today. I couldn't park outside the medical premises where I dropped them on, no on street parking left, so I had to park elsewhere and paid for two hours of parking, when I did wonder if I could have parked in a disabled bay free since the car was solely being used for the passengers benefit. There was no way the disabled badge holder could have walked to and from where the car was parked.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 32,241 Posts
    • 37,947 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    Yes , although you could get challenged to prove it on very rare occasions
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 8th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 3,865 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it. When they stop the widespread abuse of disabled parking spaces and blue badges then maybe we can think about the rights and wrongs of your case.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 8th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    john240870
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    I would say no you can't drop someone off then drive off and park using there blue badge once the BB holder has left the car the BB can't be used.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    I also say no, you can't do this. Reason being is the disabled person is no longer in the car with you.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 8th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    I also say no, you can't do this. Reason being is the disabled person is no longer in the car with you.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    So do you think that applies if you stop outside a hospital door (public road) and drop off, then drive a few meters to park? Lets say 50m.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 2,833 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    When the person comes out will they walk to the car or will you bring it to the door? If they walk to the car then yes, otherwise no.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england

Para 2 opening sentence.
    Last edited by unforeseen; 08-01-2018 at 7:47 PM.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 8th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    So do you think that applies if you stop outside a hospital door (public road) and drop off, then drive a few meters to park? Lets say 50m.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Yes, unless the blue badge holder is then going to walk back to the car in the disabled space, which if so why not just park in it in the first place.

What about wheelchair users that may need that space?
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 7,505 Posts
    • 16,193 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    If you are dropping off a passenger who has a blue badge outside a medical place and then park up elsewhere some distance away using their badge, before returning to pick them up when there appointment is over. Is this allowed?

It was a question I wondered earlier today. I couldn't park outside the medical premises where I dropped them on, no on street parking left, so I had to park elsewhere and paid for two hours of parking, when I did wonder if I could have parked in a disabled bay free since the car was solely being used for the passengers benefit. There was no way the disabled badge holder could have walked to and from where the car was parked.
    Originally posted by ChangesAhead
    If you are dropping them off and picking them up, so the person does not need to walk to or from a parking space, then you should not use a disabled bay. If, however, the Blue Badge holder is going to walk back to the parking space, then yes, you could park there - but why not park there in the first place?
    • easy
    • By easy 9th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 2,687 Thanks
    easy
    I would make another comment tho'

UNLESS --
    you will have to leave the disabled person unsupervised for an unreasonable amount of time to find a parking space and walk back.

I remember once my hubby dropping me off for an appointment and driving away to find a parking space (the nearby blue badge spaces were occupied). He drove around the block 3 times to find a regular space, eventually parked on a yellow line using my blue badge to come back to me, by which time I had been leaning against a wall in a cold drafty corridor for over 20 mins. I was freezing and in quite a lot of pain by the time he got back to me. There were no chairs, and no one to help me down the long corridor to my appointment.

Obviously we had no idea when he left me it would be so difficult to park, but sometimes one has to be pragmatic.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,459Posts Today

9,114Users online

Martin's Twitter