Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 8th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 308Posts
    • 25Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    Internet Access for less than 12 Months?
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    Internet Access for less than 12 Months? 8th Jan 18 at 2:58 PM
    Hi,

I've moved into an apartment late last year and after some experimenting with using the mobile as a hotspot I've finally realised that I need to get a dedicated internet connection.

The issue is that as this is a rental property there is a good chance I'll not be in it for an additional 12 months - although it is not set in stone!

My question is - what is the best option for me to go for in terms of an internet connection? I was looking at (and subsequently ruled out) getting an increase data allowance on my phone and use it as a hotspot.

I then looked at 3 HomeFi, but I think it is expensive and as I'm living in an apartment block I'm not sure if I could get the 4G signal - can barely get it on my handset.

What should I be looking at here? TV deals would be a bonus, but not required. Landline not required.

I just want to ensure that I don't get shafted if I decide to move out prior to the end of the usual 12 month contract period.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    If you're a student some ISP's offer 9 month accounts.

And some places do 30 day rolling contracts, though they are much pricier than a 12 month contract
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 9th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    Hello, thanks for posting. You could take a look at our broadband comparison tool (https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/) as you can compare 1 month contracts for your area using the filters. It will show very high prices as the tool adds on all fees (installation, activation etc) to the monthly cost and then divides by the length of the contract - so essentially this will be your first month's cost. After that you would be paying the supplier's monthly cost. Now TV do 1 month combo bundles on rolling contracts so worth ticking the Digital TV box to compare all deals. Also worth checking cashback sites as this can, sometimes, effectively cover the upfront costs - although is never guaranteed. Let us know how you get on! Steve
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    Thanks for that link.

Yes, on a monthly basis the NOW TV deal seems like the best option. It costs £44 for setup and then costs £24.99pm for first year and then increases to £32.98. Their 12 month contract seems to have an only difference of £22 setup cost. Is this correct?

TalkTalk do a deal £18.95pm includes line rental, £25 TV box cost applies. Fixed price for 12 month contract. Their cancellation fee is £13pm remaining in the contract.

SSE do broadband only for £21pm (no fixed term) as I am one of their energy customers.

Sky do a 12mth contract for MSE equivalent of £16.49pm

However, what I'm wondering is if it is cheaper to take a 1yr contract and then if I leave early pay the cancellation fee?

Any advice on what to do here as I'm a bit stumped!

Thanks.
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 10th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    No problem, glad it proved useful.

As for a rolling contract versus a fixed term and cancelling, this all depends on your plans/ predictions! For example, if you take a 12 month deal and then need to cancel within the first 3 months then a rolling contract may work out best, equally if you end up staying for 9-12 months then it may be cheaper to cancel - this is just a theory, you'd need to plug in the figures to work out the 'break even' point between the deals. However, it is also worth bearing in mind that most providers allow you to move your broadband service with you if you move house - so if you're simply moving from your current home to another address then a fixed deal would probably win in cost, although do check with the provider what their policy is before you sign the dotted line! Steve.
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 12th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    I think it comes down to either:
    • SSE @£21pcm + No install cost. Unlimited with no contract.
    • NowTV @ £24.99pcm + £44 install cost. Unlimited with no contract.

Are thoughts on which is the better option. I get the feeling that the basic NowTV Entertainment package is not up to much (I don't really watch box sets) - maybe SSE option is best. Or am I missing something?

Thoughts?
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 12th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 9,626 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    • 12th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    https://www.topcashback.co.uk/now-tv-combo/

https://www.quidco.com/now-tv-combo/?ucb=1349b23e5bf5d93b7ee11e68ac9a1c4b3

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/sse-phone-and-broadband/

https://www.quidco.com/sse-broadband/?st=sse&tr=4888&fn=merchant&fr=multiple&si=9418aae 7-e87b-4d7f-a36e-d36bd0d76fec&sv=4-MS&ucb=1349b23e5bf5d93b7ee11e68ac9a1c4b3
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 12th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    • 12th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    Woah!

Never thought of those.
    Okay - that gives me £55 off Now TV - essentially removing the install cost plus a bit more. Or £65 off the SSE broadband package.

Is Now TV a decent package - some of the reviews of the Entertainment package say there is not much additional to it. Wheeler Dealers is probably the only thing on the package I would watch.

Over a period of 10 months this equates to £239 - Now TV versus £145 for SSE Broadband.

For the extra money am I better saving the ~£95 and using Freeview through the TV?

Is NowTV worthwhile?
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 15th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    Thanks guys for all the help.

I've just purchased with SSE as I think it is closer to what I want plus the £65 cashback made it a lot more attractive than NowTV.

Much appreciated.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 15th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    phillw
    The issue is that as this is a rental property there is a good chance I'll not be in it for an additional 12 months - although it is not set in stone!
    Originally posted by funkey_monkey
    Find the yearly cost of the cheapest 12 month deal, even if you switch away after day 1 they shouldn't charge you more than that. You should confirm with the provider before signing up exactly what the cost would be if you do leave early and write it down along with the name of the person and the time of the call.

Take that total and divide that by the cost of the rolling contract. This gives you the number of months before you break even.

You can then compare the break even point to the length of your current tenancy agreement. If it works out that you'll break even in 7 months but you know that you're going to still be living there in 8 then get the 12 month contract anyway. Even if you have to pay a penalty to leave, then you are still better off.

If you renew your tenancy then phone your provider and ask if you can extend the contract so that the end dates match up.
    Last edited by phillw; 15-01-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

329Posts Today

4,119Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin