Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lukesamg7
    • By Lukesamg7 8th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lukesamg7
    North London house buying areas advice
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    North London house buying areas advice 8th Jan 18 at 2:27 PM
    Hi All. Hoping for some advice from seasoned Londoners
    We’re looking to move to ‘North London’ by that the areas we’re considering are(by tube stop):
    East Finchley
    Highgate
    Archway
    Tufnell Park
    Holloway Rd
    Hampstead
    Belzies Park
    Chalk Farm
    St Johns Wood
    Swiss Cottage
    Finchley Rd

2 main Q’s:
    1) How safe are each of those areas, from most to least safe, by that I mainly mean how comfortable you’d feel walking around the area mabye in the dark or late at night? Where are the crime hotspots to avoid?

2) Amenities: Which areas have a reasonable number or nice pubs, restaurants, local shops for food shopping etc

3) Relaxing and greenery: Which of these areas would be most relaxing to live in and which have a nice green suburban feel to them and aren’t that busy.

Of course I understand in any big city that there mabye isn’t a general rule that x place is nicer than Y place because quite often you can be in a ‘bad’ area and then walk 5 minutes one direction and you’re in a good area.

Idea is that we’d start a family at some point so thinking longer term would like an area that is safe and relaxing for us and safe to bring up a young child.

Many Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    Have you considered price?? Highgate is one of the most expensive places to live in the whole city (though you've got a few of the top 20 on that list anyway)

Safety: All a reasonably safe. I lived in Highgate and Finchley, visited Hampstead a lot. Finchley was my favourite.

Amenities. All have a good range, Highgate had the best choices from my perspective.

Relaxing: Highgate and Hampstead border the heath, so obviously have the best greenery.

If I was having a child, I'd leave London personally.

School wise, all have good and bad.
    • Lukesamg7
    • By Lukesamg7 8th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lukesamg7
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    Thank you, all very helpful.

Yes considered price, Highgate and Hampstead may be slightly out of range but not 100, we saw some 2 beds within budget just about.

Of Highgate and Finchley, is most of the area pretty safe or are there some parts of them when aren’t as nice and safe, what % would you say was safe?

Also is easy Finchley the nicest and safest out of all the Finchleys?

Would love to move out of London tbh and may look at St Albans further down the line but plan is to stay in London for next 5-7 years.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    Thank you, all very helpful.

Yes considered price, Highgate and Hampstead may be slightly out of range but not 100, we saw some 2 beds within budget just about.

Of Highgate and Finchley, is most of the area pretty safe or are there some parts of them when aren’t as nice and safe, what % would you say was safe?

Also is easy Finchley the nicest and safest out of all the Finchleys?

Would love to move out of London tbh and may look at St Albans further down the line but plan is to stay in London for next 5-7 years.
    Originally posted by Lukesamg7
    Honestly it varies. There's nowhere in the whole country that is 100% safe.

I never had issues in Finchley. (lived in Finchley Central).

Highgate is one of the safest areas, but had problems with street muggings back then, particularly of school kids.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 8th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    cloo
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    All of Finchley is equally safe, which I'd say is pretty safe. East and North Finchley have better high streets - I'm in Central where we have a grotty, cheap high street.

Most schools in Finchley are better than average, though bear in mind (as we are realising) there is not really any secondary school with a catchment covering Finchley Central.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    All of Finchley is equally safe, which I'd say is pretty safe. East and North Finchley have better high streets - I'm in Central where we have a grotty, cheap high street.

Most schools in Finchley are better than average, though bear in mind (as we are realising) there is not really any secondary school with a catchment covering Finchley Central.
    Originally posted by cloo

I found the highstreet was pretty good (about 15 years ago!), has it really changed that much - checking google maps now
    • cloo
    • By cloo 8th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    cloo
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    Yeah, it's all bookies and charity shops!
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 8th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    gingercordial
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    Hi All. Hoping for some advice from seasoned Londoners
    We’re looking to move to ‘North London’ by that the areas we’re considering are(by tube stop):
    East Finchley
    Highgate
    Archway
    Tufnell Park
    Holloway Rd
    Hampstead
    Belzies Park
    Chalk Farm
    St Johns Wood
    Swiss Cottage
    Finchley Rd

2 main Q’s:
    1) How safe are each of those areas, from most to least safe, by that I mainly mean how comfortable you’d feel walking around the area mabye in the dark or late at night? Where are the crime hotspots to avoid?

2) Amenities: Which areas have a reasonable number or nice pubs, restaurants, local shops for food shopping etc

3) Relaxing and greenery: Which of these areas would be most relaxing to live in and which have a nice green suburban feel to them and aren’t that busy.

Of course I understand in any big city that there mabye isn’t a general rule that x place is nicer than Y place because quite often you can be in a ‘bad’ area and then walk 5 minutes one direction and you’re in a good area.

Idea is that we’d start a family at some point so thinking longer term would like an area that is safe and relaxing for us and safe to bring up a young child.

Many Thanks in advance
    You really should visit some of the places and see what they're like for yourself. You have a very diverse list there - Holloway Road and Archway are gritty, built-up urban (nothing wrong with these but probably not where you'd choose to buy specifically to raise kids) whereas Hampstead and Highgate are seriously posh "villages", Belsize Park is celebville and so on. These would all be obvious within a few minutes of arriving at the respective tube stations, so a day out would easily narrow this list down considerably. We could give opinions but nothing will be as good as you seeing for yourself.

Apologies if you have already been, but I can't believe you'd lump Holloway Road in with Hampstead if you have...
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 8th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    That is such a mixture of places. You have some not so desirable ones with some really desirable very expensive ones.

How did you make up that list? Did you just do it from looking at flats on a property website? They are all really different places.
    • Lukesamg7
    • By Lukesamg7 8th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lukesamg7
    Cheers all and Gingercordial, really good advice.
    As it happens we are planning to do a day tour so to speak hopefully this weeeknd as I agree that is the best way to really get an area.

Also I know there is no exact science to which is the nicest or safest or most relaxed place but as neither me or my partner have lived in any of those areas (currently much more central near London Bridge), I just wanted to get some opinions on the areas from people who live or have lived in these places and also be aware of things that people who have better knowledge of the areas will know e.g. x place is nice but avoid Y part of it as that is known to be a bit rough/dangerous etc.

Regarding Holloway vs Hampstead haha I know they’re vastly different but it’s about weighing it all up, area, what we could get for the money, commute etc so we have reasons for all of these areas and places to be considered

Also I tried to google it but it’s hard to get a good answer does anyone know for any of these places If there are many gyms nearby?

Also if they could be ranked in any of your opinion price aside from generally nicest and safest to least what would your orders be?

Thanks so much guys loving your help and responses!!
    • Lukesamg7
    • By Lukesamg7 8th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lukesamg7
    @cakeguts it’s mainly based on where me and my partner currently work (both quite centrally) + West is too expensive , east for the most part not as desirable or green, south the connections are not very good, north and slightly north west seemed to give the best balance of commute, nice mix of areas, affordable places.

So we’ve kind of thrown a ring around that geographical area of these places, e.g. wouldn’t want to go any further north, west, east or central/south than any of these.

Do you have an opinion on which would be the nicest and safest vs the least?

We want to find somewhere in london we can ‘settle down’ so to speak so places like Finchley and Hampstead for example appeal as they seem more relaxed, quiet and green but still a reasonably easy journey into more central places if we wanted to meet friends or go for dinner etc.

It would be nice to come home to an area that is more suburban that feels almost not like You’re in a city if you know what I mean?
    We are from Surrey originally and have rented in central London for 8yrs and it’s time now to find a more relaxing balance but we can’t move out of London as for both of our industries/jobs London is the place to be.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 8th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 36,379 Posts
    • 153,802 Thanks
    silvercar
    Looks like a tube list to me. Have you considered what happens when the tube line has problems?
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 8th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    ThePants999
    And more generally, don't forget to look at train lines as well as tube lines. You're looking far enough out that you'll miss out on a lot of possibilities if you only look at the tube network and forget that trains exist too.
    • Lukesamg7
    • By Lukesamg7 8th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lukesamg7
    Have considered train line places but for where we work that would end up adding another 15-20 minutes to the commute taking it from say 40mins to 1hr and that’s not for us.

Generally tubes are prettt reliable and if not then there are always buses.
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 8th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Typhoon2000
    Do you work near London bridge? Large parts of south East London are 15-25min by train to London Brigde/Cannon Street
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 3,843 Posts
    • 7,861 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I found the highstreet was pretty good (about 15 years ago!), has it really changed that much - checking google maps now
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I would generally say that North Finchley is better than Central which is better than East. But the Council have big plans for North Finchley, so in another 5 years I'd expect North Finchley to be at the bottom of that pile.

Generally tubes are prettt reliable and if not then there are always buses.
    If you want to rely on the bus for your commute if the tube isn't working then I wouldn't venture much further out than Camden or Islington boroughs.

The growth areas in Barnet borough are Colindale and Mill Hill - I'd look in those areas to start with, but if you are thinking of family then I'd go a lot further out. Thameslink from Mill Hill or Hendon is likely to be faster to the city than the Northern Line.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • economic
    • By economic 8th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    economic
    What sort of budget are we talking about and what exactly do you want to buy? A Flat or a house?

all those areas vary a lot in terms of price for the different types of property you can buy.

btw i live in highgate and its a lovely area.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 8th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 36,379 Posts
    • 153,802 Thanks
    silvercar
    Have considered train line places but for where we work that would end up adding another 15-20 minutes to the commute taking it from say 40mins to 1hr and that’s not for us.
    Remember that you also have Thameslink straight from blackfriars/ city Thameslink/ St Pancras north to West Hampstead/ Cricklewood/ Mill Hill.....
    • nLdn
    • By nLdn 9th Jan 18, 2:01 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    nLdn
    I bought a year ago in between Kentish Town, Tufnell park and Holloway. Loved in the general area for a decade including 3 years in Archway. I'd recommend either of those areas very strongly (maybe Holloway slightly less so).

The area is brilliant for transport links and there's a really good mix of places to drink and a range of independent and chain restaurants and shops nearby.

I looked around the Finchleys when I started my search but the more I investigated I found that the crowd up there are mostly families and much of what seemed affordable was not that close to the transport links I wanted. There wasn't much diversity for me either pub or shipwise.

For greenery you're close to the magnificent Hampstead Heath and Waterloo park. I'm within easy reach by public transport and car to Finsbury Park, handy for Saturday morning Parkrun.

Safety wise I've never really felt unsafe but I would advise you exercise caution when walking right next to the tube stations, as in any area of London.

(Lower) Holloway isn't a bad area but I don't feel it's as safe as the other areas I've mentioned. The housing stock in my range wasn't as nice and I didn't like the mix of shops and pubs as much as where I had been previously.

Anyway, theres my hastily cobbled together 2penceworth. I love my part of London and am happy to answer any further or more specific questions on here or over IM. Best of luck.
    • nLdn
    • By nLdn 9th Jan 18, 2:03 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    nLdn
    *lived. I typed this on my phone...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,297Posts Today

8,853Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Of course but this question is about the specific "ladies first" rule. Ie a man giving a seat because it's a lady n? https://t.co/FBmEfwnHNM

• Today's twitter poll: Traditional manners have/had the concept of "ladies first". Is that compatible with gender eq? https://t.co/Qk4bC3pHjk

• RT @helwid87: @MartinSLewis Thankyou for your student loan refund advice. My £617 refund came through yesterday, making January less of a t?

• Follow Martin