Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 8th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 479Posts
    • 263Thanks
    pmartin86
    No More Nails (or equivilent)
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    No More Nails (or equivilent) 8th Jan 18 at 2:02 PM
    Looking for recomnedations, ive got 4 rroms of skirting board to do, would prefer to glue rather than nail/screw for various reasons. Is no more nails decent? anything better and/or cheaper for the job?
Page 1
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 21,489 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    We used it for sticking on a piece of plastic edging on an outward pointing wall corner and for a short section of skirting board and I was more impressed than I expected to be TBH. No experience of long lengths of skirting though.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 8th Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    All the skirting in my house was fixed with Gripfill, but it was still tacked to the walls using a nail gun to hold it tight to the wall while the adhesive goes off.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 8th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 6,435 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    Ill second gripfill, cheaper and better. Plus the smell is heavenly.
    Don't be angry!
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 8th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 1,778 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    nomorenails and its equivalents all do the job, assuming the walls are straight. Personally I prefer screws because you get a better fit to any undulations in the wall (especially over longer runs) and can remove sections of skirting relatively easily should you ever need to, e.g. to run speaker or coax cable behind them, lay wooden flooring and so on.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    nomorenails and its equivalents all do the job, assuming the walls are straight. Personally I prefer screws because you get a better fit to any undulations in the wall (especially over longer runs) and can remove sections of skirting relatively easily should you ever need to, e.g. to run speaker or coax cable behind them, lay wooden flooring and so on.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Go on then, how do you get to the screwheads to undo them?
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 8th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    Go on then, how do you get to the screwheads to undo them?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Any kind of nail detector and dig out the filler?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 8th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 1,778 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    Any kind of nail detector and dig out the filler?
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    Exactly this. Countersunk screws, blob of blue-tac or similar on the head to keep it clear, spot of filler, sand, paint, done. I use the wire/pipe detector to locate the screws or you could leave a discreet mark at ground level to tell you where they are. Once located, use a screwdriver to dig out the filler, the blu-tac comes off, clean screw head revealed.
    Last edited by Aylesbury Duck; 08-01-2018 at 4:06 PM.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 8th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 3,979 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    4.2m lengths of skirting, a nail gun, and a box of gripfill.

I used to use screws in my period house, because the walls were like boomerangs but in a relatively new build (like the 1900's!) with flat walls, its a breeze.

With planning I've never needed to take off skirting I've put on, and even if I did, i'd rather put new on than have to sand back the old stuff I'd taken off.
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 8th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    pmartin86
    Gripfill it is, thanks all.

Walls are reasonably straight (all just been fresly dot and dabbed and skimmed) so should be fine. Flooring allready down so that not an issue, and I dont see any reason to ever need them removed, the one room that has a TV in it has tubing behind the polaterboard along with a wide array of cables and spares to it, along with some "blank" strings to pull trhough more if needed.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 8th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 7,338 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    -taff
    I used clear silicone in a house I used to live in, the skirting was that brown plastic stuff. Worked ok.
    • ic
    • By ic 8th Jan 18, 6:16 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    ic
    I used this stuff to fix my skirting boards in place: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+%26+Sealants/d180/Grab+Adhesive/sd3199/Mighty+Strength+Grip+%26+Grab+Adhesive+290ml/p69794
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • Rummer65
    • By Rummer65 8th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Rummer65
    Always used pink grip
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,679Users online

Martin's Twitter