Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• surfer9
    • By surfer9 8th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Who is responsible for GAS safety check...
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    Who is responsible for GAS safety check... 8th Jan 18 at 2:02 PM

Does anyone know who is responsible for the annual gas safety check, the landlord or the tenants?

I live in a shared house.....should the landlady be the one who oversees and is present during this check or is it down to the tenants?

Page 2
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 8th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    I make sure I am present for my boiler service.

My LL has been present once on my request because I couldnt be home from work.

They have now moved away and I sort all repairs out myself (they pay for them & BG Home care ) as it is more practical for me to make the necessary arrangements without the 3rd party acting as a go between.

I personally wouldnt want a random stranger wandering around my house unsupervised. If you have so many issues with your LL why do you want her there to supervise.

Why do you presume your LL is sat back with their feet up. Are you their sole income?
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 8th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 9,774 Posts
    • 5,267 Thanks
    Having an annual gas safe check done on a rental property is a legal requirement and any Landlord would be completely stupid not to have this done.
    However people do forget and a text, e-mail or phone call to remind a landlord is a good idea.
    Why are you making a big issue about the Landlord being at the property when the gas safe check is carried out ?
    Would you not want to be home yourself to check that the work has been done ?
    Check the certificate and keep a copy next to the boiler, gas fire, gas hob etc
    A social landlord failed to carry out over 1,000 gas safe checks on some of the 7,000+ properties they own (Luminus Homes ) and guess what No prosecutions were made.
    Local private landlord fined £18,000 for not getting gas safe checks done and faulty boiler found.
    Now it is less than 12 months since the dreadful Grenfell Tower fire which killed 71 people and left hundreds of people homeless.
    Plastic cladding to make an old building look good with little if any extra insulation.
    A gas explosion in a building can destroy the whole building and adjoining properties. They have in the past and will unfortunately lead to deaths in the future.
    It is therefore the responsibility of both the Landlord and the tenants to make sure the check is carried out every year for your own safety.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 8th Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    As long as the LL (or their agent) organises and pays for the safety check, then they CAN sit at home (or in the office, or wherever). They MUST organise it though. It's a legal requirement.

They don't have to be present.

They have to tell you when they are having it done, as this is a regular and routine maintenance (once every year), they have to give reasonable notice (at least 24 hours).

You don't have to be present.

The contractor can be given a set of keys and allowed to get on with it. TBH for most contractors, this is what they prefer. They can get in, get done, and get on to the next job, then drop the keys back at the end of the day.
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 9th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    I agree that the management of the property lies with the LL but they are not there to babysit the tenants.

I suspect your woes run deep with how they "manage" the property,but your posts also seem to suggest that you may nor be the most willing or proactive tenants either!
    Originally posted by need an answer
    As far as I can see, based on the posts on this thread, it's the landlords responsibility. Expecting tenants to take time off work is ridiculous, when it is not their job to manage the house.
    Last edited by surfer9; 09-01-2018 at 9:47 AM.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Jan 18, 9:44 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    need an answer
    As far as I can see, based on the posts on this thread, it's the landlords responsibility. She doesn't take responsibility for anything......nothing......was on the phone to her and she was complaining how she had to be in the house waiting for the gas man to do the safety check last year..........when that is her job....

her job is to manage the house.......she does not manage it......she expects us to manage it.

if it's her job, I am not going to take time off work or cancel plans to help her out, when I am paying her good money to manage the house.
    Originally posted by surfer9
    It is the LL responsibility to arrange the check, they do not need to be present whilst it is carried out,neither do you need to take time off or cancel plans. A key or access can be granted to the engineer to complete the check.

May I ask how much of an active management role you would like your LL to take in the day to day running of the property you live in?
    Surely aside from legal obligations and when repairs are required most tenants would rather the LL kept a reasonable distance and allowed them to enjoy quiet enjoyment of the property they rent.
    in S 15 T 8 F 25
    out S 20 T 5 F 17
    2017 -32
    2018 Wombling entrant No: 5 £57.70
    March £8.60/50
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 9th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    As far as I can see, based on the posts on this thread, it's the landlords responsibility. Expecting tenants to take time off work is ridiculous, when it is not their job to manage the house.
    Originally posted by surfer9
    To be honest your arrangement sounds very different from anywhere I've rent from, or my friends.

I would hate having the landlord/lady in every week to clean the property - and would never pay for that.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 9th Jan 18, 10:06 AM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 8,288 Thanks
    Many have already stated, so one more time...

NOBODY need be there, aside from Mr Gassy himself!

I've just had a six week install of a complete central heating system, woodburners, thermal stores and conservatory in my own house. I was about for less than 30% of the time, and probably drunk for 4% of that!

Now, must dash to check the Monet is still on the wall, and the diamond tiaras in my wife's armoire....

Look, if you don't trust the guy not to rifle through the undies drawer, how can you trust him with your bleeding life!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,351Posts Today

9,188Users online

Martin's Twitter