Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 8th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 5Thanks
    TamsinC
    Barn conversion advice please
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    Barn conversion advice please 8th Jan 18 at 2:00 PM
    Hello there from a newbie - we are looking at buying a house with a barn on site - very close to the house - the barn is small 34 ft x 16 ft approx; 50m2 downstairs and apparently has 2x 2nd story (mezzanine levels I'm assuming) - one at each end. We haven't seen it yet (Friday). It is grade 2 listed, black shiplap and a slate? roof, and roof beams. It has had a garage put in at one end. The roof definitely needs work - probably needs coming off completely and redoing and the shiplap definitely needs a lot of work too - and it seems silly to not do as much work as possible at the same. Assuming we get planning to turn it into something - a summer room, or a grand annex, or a holiday let - could this work be done on £80K? I do realise I am asking how long a piece of string is but could it be possible? We will have to repair it anyway - I'm thinking £10K for the roof and another £10K for redoing the shiplap if nothing else. Many thanks in advance for trying to answer the impossible.
    Last edited by TamsinC; 08-01-2018 at 2:45 PM. Reason: adding info
Page 2
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 9th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Many thanks to everyone - at the moment I can say my heart isn't in renovating this particular barn - looks like it will be too much work for too much money for very little gain. Still going to look at it but . . . the tips from everyone have been invaluable and I feel I have managed to wave away those rose tinted glasses.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

7,797Users online

Martin's Twitter