Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bumbumtaloo
    • By Bumbumtaloo 8th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bumbumtaloo
    Amigo Loans
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    Amigo Loans 8th Jan 18 at 12:56 PM
    Hi, Iím new here, sorry if I donít use the correct abbreviations.

In Dec 2013 I extended a previous Amigo loan to £5k - yes, I know it was incredibly stupid to take the loan in the first place! In March 2015 we hit financial difficulties - we both worked my husband full time and me weekend nights to fit around childcare but I unfortunately fell ill and lost my job this set off a chain of events that have now resulted in me being too ill to work and my husband is my carer and unfortunately relying on benefits.

Anyway back to the loan, we had never missed a payment and in March 2015 I rang them to explain the situation and reduced our payments from £197 to £100 every 4 weeks. Last year I received a retrospective default notice. I have just received a statement and have found I owe £6,442 despite paying the loan for five years and at this rate it will take another five years to clear it.

The thing I wanted to know is, when I explained the financial difficulties to them and set up a payment plan should the interest have been frozen - I have asked them and they have not given me a straight answer and can they issue a retrospective default notice?

To be clear I am not trying to get out of paying the loan back, I borrowed the money and it is my responsibility. Iím just really disheartened that I still have another 5yrs left and I canít increase the repayments to them as I simply do not have the money.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    • 14,890 Posts
    • 15,712 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    No, interest didn't need to have been frozen.

It seems correct that the account has defaulted, and it's fortunate that it is retrospective. It will fall off 6 years from the date it shows.

Visit the DFW boards for advice on how to cut costs and other options that might be appropriate for you.
    • Bumbumtaloo
    • By Bumbumtaloo 8th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bumbumtaloo
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    Thank you, I fully agree the account should be in default I just wasn’t sure as it wasn’t issued for sometime.
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 8th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    Who is the guarantor? Is it your husband? If not it would be a good idea to give the guarantor a heads up as Amigo may go after them to recover the debt.
    • Bumbumtaloo
    • By Bumbumtaloo 8th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bumbumtaloo
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    No, it’s a friend of mine. I have been paying the reduced amount since March 2015 and Amigo have said a song as I make the agreed payments they wouldn’t seek money from her. They haven’t contacted her at all since the loan was taken in 2013.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,652Posts Today

8,388Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right I'm signing off for the weekend. Don't do anything I wouldn't do (so that includes impulse spending, driving? https://t.co/7vEK9cd6DO

• RT @bigmickwelsh63: @MartinSLewis Already done it.... donated my kidney to my brother almost 30yrs ago. Not sure if I would have done it fo?

• Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• Follow Martin