Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • canadianBill
    • By canadianBill 8th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    canadianBill
    HSBC Advance (switch) - negative experience
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    HSBC Advance (switch) - negative experience 8th Jan 18 at 12:37 PM
    Hello there

Just thought would give some advice to people considering switching to HSBC Advance to get £250 from their switching service.

I'm not sure how others have fared with this, but I had problems from the beginning even getting the switch to work properly, then had continued problems with my account including:
    - misspelling my name despite the fact I obviously spelled this correctly when I opened the account
    - transferring funds in and out of the account - worked for the first month or two and then I started to see problems such as no transactions being listed and payee information disappearing
    - random times an 'inhibit' was put on my account - unclear whether that is because I don't use it enough; I'm a completely honest person and have had to call their customer services several times to get things sorted.

It has been a frustrating number of months using their service and it is really the worst when it comes to customer service (in my opinion).

Also, note, if you want to do a switch again after a time, HSBC Advance does NOT allow switching. It is only one way -- you can switch to them, but not from them to another bank. A word of warning in case you are considering this.

I wonder if I'm the only one who has had such a negative experience with HSBC.
Page 1
    • Crag30
    • By Crag30 8th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Crag30
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    Mine went ok, but took longer than any of the others I had switched
    • gowgowuk
    • By gowgowuk 8th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    gowgowuk
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    Thanks for letting us know. I applied 5 days ago, and still no confirmation email or post....
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 8th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    Also, note, if you want to do a switch again after a time, HSBC Advance does NOT allow switching. It is only one way -- you can switch to them, but not from them to another bank. A word of warning in case you are considering this.
    Originally posted by canadianBill
    Is this in the T&Cs? Can't see it.

Surely, as long as both banks use CASS, a switch is legal and possible?!
    Last edited by wiseonesomeofthetime; 08-01-2018 at 7:07 PM. Reason: add link to T&C
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 8th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    radoslaff
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    My and my wife's switches went great.It's a completely different story when it comes to their customer service. For this part I totally agree.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 38,266 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    I switched a couple of years ago.
    Yes, it was very slow process but speeded up extremely when I went into the local branch and got all the paperwork completed there.
    There was a great welcome handshake both on current a/c and for taking out and using their CC so I was well pleased.
    At present I am using their regular saver facility so don't particularly want to switch away.....it can just tick over!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling .... Entrant 8 ... 470 More
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 9th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    Ive just applied for the switch...just for the money to be honest.

Got a generic looking message about Routine checks and would be in contact shortly...is that the "We will refer it and decline you in a weeks time" message...lol
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • alan_d
    • By alan_d 9th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    alan_d
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    What problems with customer service have people encontered?
    I've had an account for about 5 years and have no complaints about CS, just about the monthly charge!
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 9th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    Hong-kong Shanghai Banking Club is the worst institution ever. My girlfriend banks with them and they will not give her a contactless card so I switched her account to Barclays, she got a contactless card and now she's very happy.
    Originally posted by wearingjohnnies
    How is Rita? Well, I hope.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

2,312Users online

Martin's Twitter