Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James9046
    • By James9046 8th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    James9046
    Am I a first time buyer?
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    Am I a first time buyer? 8th Jan 18 at 12:18 PM
    Hi Everyone

I have a problem and I need some help. My partner and I were hoping to take advantage of lower stamp duty for FTBs. Unfortunately her father had 'some problems with the government' when she was 18 (now 33) and bought a 2nd mountain home in France (she is French) in her name and had her sign for it. She has never derived any benefit from signing for this property, but does this make us unable to apply for the FTB stamp duty offer?
Page 1
    • KTD10
    • By KTD10 8th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    KTD10
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    FTB definition from HMRC website...

A first time buyer is defined as an individual or individuals who have never owned an interest in a residential property in the United Kingdom or anywhere else in the world and who intends to occupy the property as their main residence.

So if she technically owns or owned a home in France then she wont qualify as a first time buyer.

Hope that helps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,574Posts Today

9,882Users online

Martin's Twitter