Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 8th Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 358Posts
    • 446Thanks
    dbrookf
    Would you recommend security lighting?
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    Would you recommend security lighting? 8th Jan 18 at 11:00 AM
    We are currently seeing a spate of burglaries in our village and my husband and I disagree on whether to install security lights - he says that we should get them but Iím not sure as to the pros and cons...

Any advice/insight would be appreciated!
Page 1
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 8th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    Ignore the argument that they're a deterrent. I found it useful to see what's happening outside if the wife hears a noise that I don't (a common occurrence despite me usually being awake and the wife asleep at the time).

The only downside is that the lights are triggered by neighbours' cats and by foxes that roam around at night.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 8th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    Alarm mines are the smart option - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bisley-Security-Burglars-Intruders-Galvanized/dp/B0049ACMC6
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 8th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 2,324 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    Review your door locks too.

If you have any "euro" style locks like found in a lot of uPVC/Patio doors they are particularly suscpetible to a break in.

As many on here will know, most of these can be snapped in about 5 seconds, with no skill and little noise too if they protrude or the handles are poor quality.
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 8th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    I think small motion-activated exterior LED down-lighters are a good idea, both for convenience and security. Some of them have a sensitivity adjustment screw, so they can be tuned to ignore smaller animals. I'm glad the days of ugly 500W halogen lights are coming to an end.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 8th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 2,691 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    Please don't let light cast onto neighbour's properties if you fit them... they should point DOWN... unlike the one's my neighbour at the back has fitted and refuses to adjust!
    • googler
    • By googler 8th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 14,536 Posts
    • 9,402 Thanks
    googler
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    If your budget will run to it, get an Arlo wireless camera system.

Motion-activated video capture, cloud storage, long battery life .... standard kits of 1,2,3,4 cameras with base unit.

We bought third-party black mounting brackets and black skins to make them less obvious (cameras are white).
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 8th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    dbrookf
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    Thanks for interesting input! Any others?
    • anto164
    • By anto164 9th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    anto164
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    I agree, one of our neighbours have security lights, but they light up the road. Constantly on and off, and lighting up our curtains at night in our bedroom.

If you're having them, i echo the previous post, get them angled down so they cast shadow over other persons gardens / properties.
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 9th Jan 18, 12:22 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Wassa123
    Led lights + cctv.

Just make yours look more riskier to burgle than your neighbours.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 2,691 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I agree, one of our neighbours have security lights, but they light up the road. Constantly on and off, and lighting up our curtains at night in our bedroom.

If you're having them, i echo the previous post, get them angled down so they cast shadow over other persons gardens / properties.
    Originally posted by anto164
    It's total ignorance isn't it? I'd be mortified if I found out our lights were shining on a neighbour's windows. But some just genuinely don't care. It IS possible to get environmental health involved, though as always it's a balance between deciding what would be gained and lost by doing so.

I'm considering growing a 6m line of leylandii to 3m high to block our neighbour's. This will reduce light to our strawberry beds but would make any of their lights actions irrelevant to us. And they've just planted a new beech hedge along their side of the wee wall so I'm sure they'd not be too pleased to see a leylandii dwarf it.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 9th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Ant555
    As already suggested, simply make your home less 'burglarable' (?) than your neighbours.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine had a break-in- patio door smashed at 3pm on a weekday so plenty of people around but nobody heard anything, alarm did go off, police said thieves were estimated to be in his house for around 60-120 seconds max including going upstairs, items stolen were Xbox, ipads, laptops etc. that could not be seen through windows so it was purely speculative.

My point is that he said his house was the only one in the row that did not have a padlock on his side gate -you might think the other houses furthest away and more secluded would be the first choice - he is convinced its because the thieves could walk round to the back of his house easily.

Outside lights would not have made a difference at 3pm but visible CCTV (even dummy cameras) might have moved the thieves onto somewhere else.

Hope this helps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,414Posts Today

11,143Users online

Martin's Twitter