Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 8th Jan 18, 10:46 AM
    • 8,879Posts
    • 21,290Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Spam this weekend
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:46 AM
    Spam this weekend 8th Jan 18 at 10:46 AM
    Hi folks

Thank you to everyone who's been helping remove spam by hitting the spam button over the weekend, and especially to the board guides and our forum team who've been working flat out to help remove it.

We're taking measures to slow it down (obviously we can't say what those are here).

No site with a forum can ever get rid of spam entirely but with your help using the spam button we can make a very big dent.

Thank you everyone!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 8th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    I think the system of the SPAM button is fine for the occassional poster is trying it on.

For the deliberate poster - kitchens, black magic, help line - then there has to be a MSE solution.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 8th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 18,546 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    I keep flagging up Spam posts and you remove the Spam post and then 2 minutes later the same account posts another Spam post!

Why do you not delete the account of anyone who posts Spam?
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 8th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    Is there any possibility of a "Report Spammer" button to save having to go into every single post and report it?

You could possibly make it only available to users whose previous spam reports have been reliable.
    • ColinFishwick
    • By ColinFishwick 8th Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    ColinFishwick
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    Well if any new measures have been taken since the weekeend they sure as hell aint working yet. It use to be a time when most of spam was at night now everytime I log in doenst matter what time I see countless posts of same spam.

You really need more effective spam measures

I am sure many of us are utterly fed up of reporting them and following them around and clicking spam button when another one joins soon afterwards
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 8th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 2,798 Posts
    • 10,918 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    It's when the spam hangs around on the main forum index even after the post has been deleted that annoys me.
    I have seen deleted spam on the index for 5 days before someone posts something new on the board, the least used forum boards are obviously the worst for this.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.4
    Total so far - 218
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 8th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 9,558 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    All I seem to be doing past week is clicking spam button. Sorry mse this isnt good enough on these forums. Please do something

• MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 8th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 11,841 Posts
    • 15,658 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    Sorry, Andrea, I agree with Poppycat.

There's only so many spam posts we can click on without backup, and I feel the spammers are getting on here when the forum team aren't here to give us that backup.

Perhaps it's time for MSE's legal team to dig into what can be done through legal channels?

Edited to add:

Oh, I think I've found out one of the measures, but I won't share it in public. All I'll say here is that, as a programmer myself, I don't think it'll do very much to stop automated spam bots.
    Last edited by MothballsWallet; 08-01-2018 at 5:46 PM.
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

Married to an immigrant.

Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 8th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 4,067 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    It's when the spam hangs around on the main forum index even after the post has been deleted that annoys me.
    I have seen deleted spam on the index for 5 days before someone posts something new on the board, the least used forum boards are obviously the worst for this.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    This annoys me too.

One way you can help to remove it is to bump a genuine thread on the affected, less used board (perhaps the latest genuine thread that now shows) by posting a comment on it

This will remove the spam from the main forum index, for that particular board

You can then also delete your post if you like - it's available via the edit post function.
    If you do delete your post (which I would recommend, unless it adds value to that thread) the main forum index corrects itself i.e. the spam does not return and no longer shows
    Last edited by footyguy; 08-01-2018 at 8:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,684Posts Today

9,236Users online

Martin's Twitter