Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thehoorays
    • By thehoorays 8th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    thehoorays
    Using a Conveyancing Solicitor from location we are buying or selling?
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    Using a Conveyancing Solicitor from location we are buying or selling? 8th Jan 18 at 10:31 AM
    Hello everyone,

We're in the process of relocating from SE to NW England, and were wondering whether it would be better to hire a Conveyancing Solicitor from the area we would like to buy in (Cheshire), or from where we are selling (Bedfordshire). We understand it is better to hire the same solicitor to handle sale and purchase, but with the distance, would this be too complicated?

Has anyone got any experience of doing the same? What did you find worked best for you?

Just to give you an idea of where we are in the process:
    We plan to put our house on the market in the next few weeks just to gauge interest (photos and some paper work have been done by E.A). We haven't put offers in on anything in North West yet but we have viewed some properties that we potentially could put offers on. We're just holding out for more to come on in the next month or so. We know what we're looking for and have seen plenty of similar properties sold at the end of last year, so confident we will find something by March at latest. Husband has started his new job already and we are staying with family up here temporarily. In the meantime I will be going between SE and NW, sorting out house and working in both locations as I'm self-employed.

Many thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 8th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    Use one in your current location so it's easy to pop in and sign things, ask questions, etc..

The solicitor will never visit the property you are buying so there's no need for them to be local to the purchase.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 6,520 Posts
    • 6,419 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    The solicitor will never visit the property you are buying so there's no need for them to be local to the purchase.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    Local knowledge can sometimes be useful for regional title quirks, local authority policies, etc (how much do Bedfordshire solicitors know about Cheshire Brine searches, for example?) - though that can also apply if something tricky comes up about the property you're selling.
    • thehoorays
    • By thehoorays 8th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thehoorays
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Davidmcn, that has highlighted a really good point, and something I've just had to google!

Slithery, as both locations are about equal in terms of convenience for calling in to sign documents, would you still go with the location we are moving from?

Me and husband will be apart for most of time over the next couple of months, with going between locations and seeing each other weekends, etc. so we can work around the logistics of getting things signed. (We did long distance for 2 years so it's no bother)
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 8th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 7,130 Posts
    • 12,939 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    Is there any reason you aren't going to use the same firm that handled the purchase of the place you are now selling? That's often a good start, if they were competent. Though sometimes people just take a 'bundled' service with the solicitor assigned by their mortgage company which turns out to be a relatively disinterested conveyancing factory, and it can be better to seek out your own independently.

Personally if you are indifferent between SE and NW, I think it makes sense to use one localish to where you are buying in the NW. Once this purchase is done and dusted and something else comes up in your life (e.g. a later sale of your NW property, or other legal matters) you will then be acquainted with a local solicitor. You will have left the SE behind.

Also from a pure cost point of view, generalising the NW is a little cheaper than the SE, though 'external' costs such as public searches, land registry fees, stamp duties etc are going to be the same whoever you use.

Properly qualified solicitors should be able to handle all aspects of the sale or purchase without any particular problems caused by their lack of knowledge. If there is some special local issue, they can find out how to handle it, and handle it. However, if you share the other poster's view that there is something of an advantage in 'knowing about unique local matters' then IMHO it makes sense to have the solicitor be local to what you are buying rather than selling.

My logic for that is: when you are buying something you are committing to take on all the risks and liabilities which come with it, and you want to be able to be sure that those risks have been reviewed and properly explained to you. Whereas when you are selling, you are looking to fob off all the risks and liabilities of the property onto someone else and as soon as you have completed the sale the problem is no longer your responsibility.

So, when you are using someone to both buy and sell, you are saying

New house - do all the things you need to do, to make it safe for me to buy, and advise me of what I am getting into

Old house - just give the prospective buyer the answers to their questions to the best of our knowledge

Seems to me that the first of those two roles is the one you would value the most, and if 'local knowledge' was necessary it is there that you would want to have it.

There will of course be exceptions, but all we can do here is generalise.

FWIW, I am in the process of using a Cheshire-based solictitor to buy a London property and it has been OK - I am from Cheshire originally but moving from London to London ; the price quotes from the Cheshire based firm were lower and everything goes by email and post anyway so I wasn't bothered about face to face contact.
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 08-01-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    Why you should use a solicitor local to the location where you are buying, is local knowledge.

For example would a solicitor in Derby know about Cleveland shale if you were buying in Redcar? One local to Redcar would have that as one of their first thoughts.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 8th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    We used a firm local to where we bought, also used them for our sale. Primary reasons were cost (Midlands Vs London) and that we are looking for a long term solicitor now as don't intend to move, plus need will and probate advice etc.

We just tied in signing docs with later viewings of the house we bought and were also given an option to sign and return by post in case we couldn't get up for any reason.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • thehoorays
    • By thehoorays 8th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thehoorays
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I think that has persuaded me to go local to Cheshire. As Bowlhead pointed out, we're now relocating to NW, and will be putting down roots here for the long term and near my family (unless there is a really unforeseen turn of events), so getting a good solicitor here will definitely benefit us should we need them in the future.

As an aside, I would never reuse nor recommend the solicitor we used to buy this house to anyone, they were terrible. Barnes and Partners based in Enfield (we moved from London to Bedfordshire). They were appalling. They refused to answer calls and ignored emails. I was lied to about staff being in the office. They didn't even start their enquiries until 6 weeks after we'd instructed them. It should have been a straight forward process. We were first time buyers, 15% deposit, buying a small, modern house with no chain, no complications, no strange extensions, no leasehold etc. It ended up taking over 2 months. The solicitor was so blase, and tried to assure me my bank transfer would absolutely go through within 5 hours, to keep to the agreed completion date, despite us questioning this as our bank said they could only guarantee 24 hours and we were willing to put through days before, it's just they were so sloppy with the paper work their side. Still makes me shudder and I'm dreading this process, so finding a good solicitor is really important to us, I am willing to pay over average costs for the peace of mind!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,590Posts Today

8,846Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bigmickwelsh63: @MartinSLewis Already done it.... donated my kidney to my brother almost 30yrs ago. Not sure if I would have done it fo?

• Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• Follow Martin