Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• jdavidson
    • By jdavidson 8th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Camper van hire 'damage' charges
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    Camper van hire 'damage' charges 8th Jan 18 at 9:56 AM

i recently hired a camper vehicle from a company.
    We took the vehicle away and within the first few uses of a light switch button within the camper the button got stuck depressed in.
    This was through normal use with no excessive force. I get the feeling this had broken previously and was perhaps made worse by our normal use.

We were charged £200 for the cost of an entire head unit.

Is this an acceptable charge.

The vehicle was also new meaning the part in question would likely have been under manufacture warranty.

Thanks for any advice.

Kind regards
Page 2
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 8th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Any chance of reserving judgement into "who broke what ?
    The switch malfunctioned is a much more likely scenario.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    If we all reserved judgement, it wouldn't be much of a thread, would it.

First post: OP explains the situation.
    *Everybody reserves judgement*
    Second and last post: OP posts outcome.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 4,171 Posts
    • 4,199 Thanks
    the Judge will randomly decide depending on who they trust most
    Originally posted by fred246
    No. The judge will (or rather, should) decide on the balance of probabilities based on the evidence presented and the testimonies given by both parties.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Nickyatko
    • By Nickyatko 8th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    All - I run a campervan hire company and at risk of exposing myself to people who will judge me based on this occupation I'd like to offer what I do in the same circumstances...

Firstly all my Rental Agreements come with a Condition Report which includes any and all exterior and interior known defects. These are pointed out to the customer as well as asking them to look over the vehicle for any others - I actively encourage them to do this by leaving them alone whilst I get my Credit Card machine...slowly. We all then sign this. Upon return of the vehicle the customer and I do the same thing and I always ask up front if there have been any issues. If something is identified I provide the customer with quotes (if bodywork) and copy invoice/order forms for parts BEFORE deducting any amount from the Damage Deposit. I also commit to doing this within 48 hrs of the returned vehicle and don't charge any admin fee - I just want my vehicles to be in the condition the next hirer could naturally expect. Sometimes there are tough discussions and its not nice equally a small tear/bit of plastic can be forgiven - rough with the smooth.

My advice is to ask for a copy of the invoice to ensure that you are not paying more than you need to - the electrics related to the switch should still be ok so I wouldn't expect a charge for this; a switch can typically be replaced (there are general wholesalers of campervan and boat interiors) for £10 or less. The last thing is there may be an admin charge (see your T&C's) also some fitting charges in which case the invoice should show rate per hour and number of hours. When you have all this ask yourself if its seems expensive to me but I don't know the make, model or type of conversion....Good luck in getting at least fairness for any charge (culpability aside)
    Last edited by Nickyatko; 08-01-2018 at 4:57 PM. Reason: typo
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 8th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    • 13,470 Posts
    • 8,546 Thanks
    I'd flip it on its head and make a complaint to them about the quality of the hire vehicle! A switch on a new vehicle shouldn't just break and unless you've used it forcefully I don't see why you should pay.
    A switch used to turn lights on should have some durability about it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,464Users online

Martin's Twitter